Ph Matching

seheap

I am planning on moving my new goldie to the main tank this week. But her pH is about 8.4 and the main tank is sitting rock-steady at 8. How do I lower her pH? I don't know my KH or GH (I cannot find tests anywhere!) but my pH is always very steady so I'm guessing it's good. How should I do this? Or should I just do the drip thing (the name eludes me.....) how do I do that?

I wouldn't worry about this Ph difference. The two are close enough that adding something to the water is just going to cause more problems.. My tank is steady at about 8.2, and my tap is about 7.6.. And my fish are okay when I do the water changes..Ph differences seem to be more of a problem when say it crosses the line from neutral to acidic. Like it your PH is 7.2 and you are chaning to 6.8 it is going to hurt them more than 8.4 to 8.0 in most cases... Most likely your fish will be just fine as long as you match the temp.. You could do it slowly, like you said. And add a bit at a time, but the thing is, I have noticed that it's often not worth it, because when you HAVE a high PH, it generally is also very steady, and won't change.. So often if you try to add a bit at a time, it doesn't change at all... But of course you can experiment with that.. If I were you I would make sure everything else matches and add the fish, just keep the old water handy in case you notice any strange behavior, as some fish are more sensitive than others... But most likely everything should be smooth

I agree. That's not that big of a change to make the worry worth it. Just slowly take out some of the 8.4 water and mix in the 8.0 water over a couple hours' time prior to the move and it should be fine.

Well, I don't have a bag that I would feel comfortable putting Phoenix in so I think I will do the method Sue suggested. As soon as I am back from class I will mix about a quart of water from the QT to the main tank every fifteen minutes until I have class again. Then after that class (around 3) I will add Phoenix to the tank and see how she does. I'm going to keep the QT set up for a few days just in case something happens. Thanks for the help guys! I thought I was going to have to go out and buy a bunch of chemicals for the tank...I HATE putting chemicals in my clear healthy water!

Wow.....I feel like a real goldfish keeper: a water keeper! :blink:

I thought I was going to have to go out and buy a bunch of chemicals for the tank...I HATE putting chemicals in my clear healthy water!

Nope! Adding chemicals to deal with water issues is never the way! You can't buy water quality. There's nothing like a good water change and/or some good ol' elbow grease to deal with any water problem like cloudy water, algae, high readings, ph issues, etc., even though the corporate manufacturers of the world would like you to think otherwise!