If Only I Had Another 10 Gallons

Chrissy_Bee

I had to post this because it made me so sad!!! I mentioned in my blog that a while back I was looking everywhere for a calico oranda, I've wanted one for a loooooong time but not a single one was to be found. But while looking I found Edwin, so got him instead. About 2 weeks later I was at Wally world with my mom and saw one. I was so bummed that I couldn't get it.

Well my sister and I were just there again, and he's still there!!!! :(:( :( To make it worse, he's bottom sitting badly. I showed my sis and she felt too bad for him to even look at his tank. This is a really nice fish, with a little wen, smooth body (with maybe a bit of lion head or ranchu in there, the back bends down like one). And the saddest part, he was looking at me, following my movements through the glass. I "technically" have room for one more fish in my tank but no way am I doing it. I have just enough time now to keep up with water changes, but no more than I'm doing AND I don't think it would give all my fish enough room to grow.

I'm seriously thinking about just getting him but all I have right now is an extra 5 gallon, I'd have to get a used 10 gallon or a rubbermade. My sensible side is telling me not to, I just had to share my pain with people who will appreciate it :(

It's a real beotch when your heart battles with your head! Aaarrrgh! "It's the right thing to do!" "But, you can't afford to do it!" "But, it's the right thing to do!" "But, you can't afford to do it!"..... on and on and on......

It's a real beotch when your heart battles with your head! Aaarrrgh! "It's the right thing to do!" "But, you can't afford to do it!" "But, it's the right thing to do!" "But, you can't afford to do it!"..... on and on and on......

You got that right. I'm debating going back for him, I know Jim (my bf) doesn't care. He asked me yesterday what happened to the QT tank, as if he missed it. But I'm trying to be realisitic....eek!

Ohh Chrissy that's so tough! That's how I felt about a shubunkin a while back.. she was beautiful, I had named her Lexie.. but I had just joined this forum and found out there wasn't enough room in the tank I had now with my four fish! :(

I'm now looking into getting some pearlies.. I technically have room for two more with 17 extra gallons in my 37, but again, do I want to deal with all of that too? Water changes I'm just now keeping up with barely.

I unfortunately don't know what to tell you to do, I'd be the one to go get the little guy and try to save him.. even with little room. It's soo hard!

I'm fighting with myself here now.

"you can go get him tomorrow"

"but he probably won't survive anyway"

"what's one more tank, you have the filter"

"someone will proabably buy hom soon"

"you can never have too many goldies, eveyone loves looking at them"

:rofl

The "Evil" side in me is saying if you buy him now and help him get healthy then you can save up for a bigger tank! or even another 10 or 15 (or 20) gallon.

But I have an over-abundance of evil side..........

:devilangel

chrissy do what you feel you need to do ...if you get him we know you will take care of him ..either way we know that you are able to care for this fish if the at is the road you take ...I say get the rubbermaid :D ...possibly a cannister filter to add more gallonage you can do a DIY

I was in your situation a couple months back with a cute calico oranda that was mixed in with the various other goldfish at WM. I seriously thought about getting him. I even went as far as getting a rubbermaid and setting is all up. And when I did finally go back to get him, he was far too sick. I wouldn't have been able to keep him alive. :( So I feel your pain. If you feel that you can rescue him, then go for it. You can make time for water changes, I'm sure. Or train someone else to do them (if you trust them ;) ). I taught my mom before I went out of town once and she did a great job.

Hahaha, you're all evil!!!

Well here's the plan. I have no time today at all to do anything, so tomorrow I'm going to stop at the local 'traders' shop to see if they have any used tanks, if yes, I'm trading in my 5 gallon so hopefully I can get a 10 or 15 for a steal. IF that happens, I'll go get the little one and the QT tank will have to be his forever home.

The way I look at it...I want to buy a house when I graduate, and then I'll have lots of rooms in need of tanks :D

(see my blog comments about how they start converstations, therefore need to be in every room to avoid awkward silences :rofl )

.....did I mention that I'm also being pressured to take a little hamster home tomorrow??? eek

The hammy/fishie war is waging in my brain now!!! I have until Friday to take the hammy home, and who knows how long the poor fish has left. I can't get both...really I probably shouldn't get either.

I'm going to the traders store tonight, if there's a cheap tank, it'll be the fish, if there's a cage, hammy (he comes with a lab cage, but it's junk).