Gel Food

misty_blue16137

Well,just finished mixing up my very first attempt at gel food. Used three different types of baby food veggies,some ProGold and some Omega One Veggie rounds. It's a really gross shade of dark green,lol. I'm hoping I didn't put too much or too little of the geletin in. So,now I wait to see how it sets up and hope it doesn't come out like flubber.

Not sure how the fish are going to like it but I had a captive audience with the 15 dogs,lol.

The gel food set up just fine,whew! Gave everybody some this morning and it was well accepted by all, even the babies. Tuck had some trouble locating the pieces tho'. Since he's pretty much blind due to his wen he finds his food mostly by smell. Don't think this had a strong enough odor for him. Will have to add something to give it a stronger odor next batch and see how he does then. He did get some by bumbling on to it. While I will be giving it to the rest along with their pellets, I primarily made it for Moon Dancer to see if it would stop her being stuck at the top and sometimes flipping after eating. I left her have quite a bit and so far so good!! She is still swimming all over the tank and it's been over half an hour since she ate it. By now she would be stuck topside with their other food. So hopefully this has solved her problem. Will see how she does as the morning progresses and after her second feed tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for her!!

p.s. Koko thank you sooo much for this site! Without it I would have had no idea about trying gel food for her let alone how to go about making it! :#1

I tossed some algae wafers (well soaked, obviously) into my last batch, and they made the whole thing *reek*.

The fish still ate it up like it was cheesecake, so presumably it was just as tasty -- maybe that would help your little blind dude find it more easily?

I tossed some algae wafers (well soaked, obviously) into my last batch, and they made the whole thing *reek*.

The fish still ate it up like it was cheesecake, so presumably it was just as tasty -- maybe that would help your little blind dude find it more easily?

That's basically what the Veggie Rounds are along with some other good stuff. May try adding some sardines next time. That should add some smell, lol.

Yeah, I was going to suggest garlic for the smell, but it's also good for immunity, so that's a double good food. And go figure, they love it! Just a thought as far as floating, and I really don't know whether this would have anything to do with anything, but, I guess it can't hurt. But, if you slam the container the gel food is poured into firmly onto the counter a few times right after you poured it in, then you can also release any air that might be trapped in the food itself. Isn't gel food the best invention ever created?!

They actually sell garlic juice at many LFS. It is suggested to use as a pre-feeding soak for finicky eaters. However, since it's 100% pure garlic juice I would imagine it would be ok to use in gel food. However, if it's an extract I would read the lable, it could have been made with alcohol. I doubt it since it's meant to be eaten by fish, but it doesn't hurt to check the label.

When I made it I used minced garlic I had in a jar. But I should note, the goldies didn't seem too fond of that batch :(

(turtle loved it though!)

Hmm,maybe I should just try the sardines. If that doesn't "stink" it up nothing will, lol.

When I made it I used minced garlic I had in a jar. But I should note, the goldies didn't seem too fond of that batch :(

Did you mash up the garlic? Maybe it was in too big of pieces and I think we all know the zinger rush we get when we bite into a big piece of garlic, lol!, and so it was just a bit too much for them maybe?

Did you mash up the garlic? Maybe it was in too big of pieces and I think we all know the zinger rush we get when we bite into a big piece of garlic, lol!, and so it was just a bit too much for them maybe?

You're probably right about that. I haven't tried using garlic since, that batch of gel food was SO disgusting :P

I am very happy to report that after two days of the gel food Moon Dancer has not turned into "The Amazing Bobbing Goldfish" even once!! She is a much happier baby since she can actually have enough food to know she has eaten now. And since I now know I can do the gel ok, I decided to move her and Phaedra back into the 55 gallon with Skye & Calypso and just put them all on the foods she can have. I had to move her out because she kept getting too many pellets and flipped. So, I am happier as well, lol.