Minx Has A Blog!

Chester's_Mommy

Whoo!

I get to have a blog!!

I'm sort of super excited about this, because I'm a prolific blogger (and writer) (and talker....) in MLOK -- that's My Life Outside Kokos, for the uninitiated -- and it has been very difficult for me to keep the insane chatter to a minimum out amongst the rest of the forum. ;)

But here, I can just go on and on and on and not worry about driving anyone mad! Good times.

I figured today would be as good a day as any to start, because it was a Very Big Day in Minxland: Her fish had babies.

I'm not talking eggs, mind you, I'm talking legitimate, tank-is-crawling-with-them fish fry.

YES! :Jig:

I don't know how long they'd been in the tank, but I freaked the heck out when I saw that they'd all hatched. I had a friend over, and she just *stared* as I ran in circles shrieking things like, "Where is my turkey baster?!" and "I don't have brine shrimp!" Then we began the arduous process of scooping them up one by one and transporting them upstairs to chill momentarily in Bette Davis' tank, which has a covered filter.

There was sort of an Action Movie feel to it (if such a thing can be related to fish) because out of every one we managed to catch, we watched another three get sucked into a filter intake.

In a very dramatic manner, obviously -- "Tell [insert fry name here] I love him aaaiiiiieeeeeeee," and then fwoosh, they were gone.

Anyway, we got the last of them into Bette Davis' tank, only to look down and see him grab two of them in one gulp. More shrieking ensued ("YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE VISUALLY IMPAIRED!!") and they all were *re*scooped out into a bowl, which my cat immediately started eyeballing.

It was at this point I remembered I actually owned one of those Baby Saver Net Things that sits inside a bigger tank... and ta da! Crisis solved!

So now I have a little net box filled with fishies. They're hard at work clinging to things and basically looking adorable.

This comes just in the nick of time, since I was at a wedding reception last night and spent the greater part of the evening clutching the bride's infant and thinking, "Aw. I want a baby! I should go... get one, or however that works!" Hopefully baby fish will calm my biological clock back the heck down. :rofl

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can has tracksuit now?

::: lip wibble :::

NameHimElevensies.jpg

(I named him Elevensies. He may be my new favorite baby fish. Or, you know, my favorite at the moment. Since I can't find any of the other little buggers.)

Aww, he/she is soooo cute! It has speckles! I don't think mine had speckles. Don't remember seeing any at any rate.

::: laughs ::: I was very impressed with his adorableness. Are the speckles normal fry coloring? I saw them and wondered -- If my African Clawed Frog was still living at home, I'd have accused him of fraternization, wink wink, nudge nudge. :blink:

In between running around this morning forgetting my phone, forgetting my lunch, and forgetting the doctor's appointment I have scheduled this afternoon, I managed to race into the living room and check up on the Fry Kids.

(My goldfish, even newbie Bette Davis, are used to my morning routine of shrieks and hurling-myself-out-the-door-with-still-wet-hair. They sort of vaguely wave goodbye to me and then go about their fishy business, doing whatever it is they do to entertain themselves. Composing symphonies, developing cures for cancer, playing by the bubble walls....)

The little frylets all looked basically adorable, still clinging to the net and obviously trying very hard not to think about the gigantic mouths that keep poking curiously at the sides of their box. I noticed six or seven more of them zipping around the main tank, and although I tried to scoop a couple of them out, it wasn't happening. So I totally left them to fend for themselves. "Playing hide-and-go-seek with Mommy when she's already running late is *not* a good way to endear yourselves to her. Have fun in the filter!"

Is day two when I'm supposed to start in on egg yolk and brine shrimp and all those other yummy baby foods?

In between running around this morning forgetting my phone, forgetting my lunch, and forgetting the doctor's appointment I have scheduled this afternoon, I managed to race into the living room and check up on the Fry Kids.

(My goldfish, even newbie Bette Davis, are used to my morning routine of shrieks and hurling-myself-out-the-door-with-still-wet-hair. They sort of vaguely wave goodbye to me and then go about their fishy business, doing whatever it is they do to entertain themselves. Composing symphonies, developing cures for cancer, playing by the bubble walls....)

The little frylets all looked basically adorable, still clinging to the net and obviously trying very hard not to think about the gigantic mouths that keep poking curiously at the sides of their box. I noticed six or seven more of them zipping around the main tank, and although I tried to scoop a couple of them out, it wasn't happening. So I totally left them to fend for themselves. "Playing hide-and-go-seek with Mommy when she's already running late is *not* a good way to endear yourselves to her. Have fun in the filter!"

Is day two when I'm supposed to start in on egg yolk and brine shrimp and all those other yummy baby foods?

I was told as soon as they start swimming around freely. I used Liquid fry the first week. Then added Hikari first bites the second week. At three weeks I started the frozen baby brine shrimp.

My big goldies sat me down for a chat this evening when I went to feed them dinner.

"Now here's the thing, Mommy," says Chester, all serious-like. "It's not that we don't love the idea of you raising little interlopers to vie with us for your love and attention, but do you have to be raising them in our *tank*?! It's taking up, like... a nineteenth of my swimming space!"

"Plus we want to eat them!" Sirius adds.

Angst doesn't say anything, because he's too busy trying, by sheer force of will alone, to suction the fry through the netting and into his gaping mouth. I imagine for the babies it's vaguely like being the krill from Finding Nemo. (Swim away! Swim awaaaay!)

In the end, I promised that I'd only keep the babies in the bag until they were big enough to not get sucked into the filter, and then I'd release them into the wild, so to speak, to forage for themselves.

And by "forage," I obviously mean, "to become the playthings of my larger goldfish, who will surely chase them down and devour them with much glee."

Alas....

Edited by Minx

My big goldies sat me down for a chat this evening when I went to feed them dinner.

"Now here's the thing, Mommy," says Chester, all serious-like. "It's not that we don't love the idea of you raising little interlopers to vie with us for your love and attention, but do you have to be raising them in our *tank*?! It's taking up, like... a nineteenth of my swimming space!"

"Plus we want to eat them!" Sirius adds.

Angst doesn't say anything, because he's too busy trying, by sheer force of will alone, to suction the fry through the netting and into his gaping mouth. I imagine for the babies it's vaguely like being the krill from Finding Nemo. (Swim away! Swim awaaaay!)

In the end, I promised that I'd only keep the babies in the bag until they were big enough to not get sucked into the filter, and then I'd release them into the wild, so to speak, to forage for themselves.

And by "forage," I obviously mean, "to become the playthings of my larger goldfish, who will surely chase them down and devour them with much glee."

Alas....

:rofl:rofl:rofl

I've always wondered what is wrong with Tinman because he doesn't talk. Lion and Scarecrow won't shut up. Maybe he just takes after angst.

Yeah, Angst's my silent baby -- but he's also the abnoxious one. Obviously, I exist solely to cater to his varied whims. The others at least sort of act happy when, say, I slave all day over a hot stove making them gel food. Angst just shovels it down and then glares at me like, "What, no decorative parsley?" ;)

Today is one of those days that I wish I had a tank at work -- I just want to sit back and stare at my fishes and not think about how my boss is driving me crazy.

Sigh.

On the other hand, I have a bad habit of getting distracted staring at my goldies, and I'm not sure how that would fly in the workplace.

"I'm sorry I didn't get your invoice out in time. I was... looking... um... There was a power failure. And then we were attacked by aliens. Yes."

I was feeding the boys dinner today and in the midst of the feeding frenzy decided to give a look-see over at the fry net.

Lo and behold, there all of them were!

(Well, I say "all of them" -- at any given time I can only locate about three, but presumably the rest of them are in there as well, tooling around being little fish.)

Anyway, there all of them were, faces pressed against the net, staring at me.

Me: "What?! Stop pouting! You got fry food today already!"

Frylets: "We don't waaaaant fry food! We want biiiiig fish food!"

Sirius: "Om nom nom. This is delicious. I am so glad I get to eat flakes and spinach, and not stupid baby food."

Frylets: "Mommy don't you love us?"

I'm in so much trouble. They've mastered the puppy-dog look before they even have visible eyes.... Soon I shall be a slave to their every whim.

After three full days of existence, the frylets are finding life in the tank increasingly stressful:

NetWarriors.jpg

NetWarriors2.jpg

I did a lightning-fast water change before I went to work today -- one bucket from each tank, and a quick swirl for the filter media.

As I was dumping the bucket from the main tank, I sort of eyeballed everything that I was flushing (no lies, I definitely look now to see if my guys have shed teeth...) and suddenly realized that some of the Miscellaneous Fish Dirt appeared to be trying to swim out of the toilet bowl.

"YOMG!" I screamed. "INFANTS!"

Apparently some of the little munchkins managed to survive three days in my filter cartridge, which I found adorably impressive.

Anyway, that's how I ended up bent over the toilet with my ever-present turkey baster, trying to rescue as many as I could locate.

It was harder than you'd expect.

Plus, they were really trying hard *not* to be basted.

I managed to catch three of the biggest ones, who have joined their squiggly siblings in the net -- The rest of them I just gave up on, because I could only squat in my bathroom for so many minutes before feeling ridiculous, and I really didn't want my mother to wander past on her way out the door and see her eldest in the grips of what she would be bound to interpret as a nervous breakdown of some kind.

Ah well.

Luckily for the uncaught babies, all drains lead to the ocean!

Or the waste treatment plant.

Whichever comes first.

I came home from work to find Sirius torturing one of my ghost shrimp.

Now normally I don't mind when my guys supplement their diet with the detritovores -- that's half the reason I keep shrimps in the tank -- but that's because normally my fish get the shrimps down in a bite or two.

Today, though, Sirius would nab the back end of it in his mouth, swim around the tank with it waving wildly from his jaws, let it go, watch it swim away, catch it by the tail again, and start the whole cycle over.

It was kind of pathetic, and also kind of dramatic, in a waterlogged silent-film-type struggle for survival way.

(It would have been more dramatic, only Sirius is so ridiculous looking he sort of ruins the mood.)

I was about to intervene and shove the poor thing back into the java ferns, when Chester sort of behemothed up in front of Sirius and ate the shrimp in one gulp.

That's the fifth one I've seen him get in as many days, and I only put ten in to start with... methinks a visit to the pet store is in order for this weekend. Now repeat with me: I will buy nothing but ghost shrimp. I will buy nothing but ghost shrimp. I will buy nothing but gh-ooooh, Bubble-Eyes!

Hey Minx,

Just out of curiousity do you QT the shrimp? Do they do anything to the tank...like eat junk off the bottom before getting eaten? I think they are kinda cool and wouldn't mind adding a few fellas.

Sometimes I QT them, and sometimes I don't -- I probably should all the time, but for me I tend to go based on whether or not they've got anything in their stomachs. That's a random and presumably bad way to decide about QT, but I figure if they don't have any germy pet store food in their tummies, it won't be a problem if they're eaten by my boys.

(I do, though, always pour them into a clean bucket of water in the sink and sort of... vigorously rinse them a couple times, and then leave them overnight, and do it again. Just to make sure there isn't anything actively *on* them that's going to get in my tank.)

All they do is wander around eating leftover flakes and feces and looking alien-ish and see-through. They're basically made of awesome; I way recommend getting a couple for your tank. Plus, they don't get eaten nearly as much as you'd think; Chester's been mowing through them this week, but normally they last at least a few months.