Temperature

Guest Myrna

Hi, I tried to do a search on using heaters but didn't find anything.

I have always thought that fancy goldfish need steady temperature in the winter and in the past have used heaters in my tanks, set at 68-70. Is that the thing to do or not? I haven't had very good luck keeping GF longer the 2 years in the past and am trying to do this new start right. I know clean, clean water with correct chemistry is my number 1 goal after joining Koko's.

We keep our house fairly cold durning winter at nite, 64. I notice this am the 29 gal. tank was at 68, morning low here was 43 degrees. Thank usually stays at 72 and higher in summer. Are fancies OK with cooler water?

Thanks,

myrna

I have one in my tank. It only seems to come on in the winter. I have it set for the lowest setting 66. So even in the winter it only comes on at night cause we turn off any heat in the part of the house they are in at night.

Thanks Hidr,

I dropped one in my 29 gal while ago. I have noticed that the canister filter I have on other tank keeps water 2 degrees warmer than the HOB filters. Good now but not so good when it was soooooooo hot!

myrna

Even way down here in Houston, I'm too cheap to heat my house any more than 68 in the winter, and I keep the heat at 60 at night. Last winter, I set my tank heater to 68, and the tank never got much below that. The fish seemed fine with that. I think as long as they don't experience any big temperature swings, they should be fine.

Of course, we've yet to see any cold weather here, so their tanks are about 78-80, and have been since about May. Again I'm too cheap to set the A/C below about 78. :)

For successful breeding, most fish will do better if given a time of "cooler" tank water. For me, that means about 55-60F for a few weeks. I do not keep heaters in general tanks - only in tanks I have a specific reason for heating.....

If you are going to allow your tank's temeperature to drop much below about 65F, you need also adjust the amount of food you feed. Since fish are coldblooded, the cooler their environment is, the cooler they are. As the fish cool, their life functions also slow. They are less and less capable of digesting food efficiantly. If you feed a cool fish heavily, much of the food may end up being stagnant in the gut - fermenting and causing SBD and potential infection.

While my fish are at their coldest, I do not feed them at all.