Babies!

Chester's_Mommy

So! Two or three days ago I noticed that all of the little brown eggs in my tank had suddenly vanished.

Not that odd, really, because my guys eat them like popcorn, but... when I went in this afternoon to feed them lunch, lo and behold, the tank was full of little swimmers!!

BEHOLD!!

IMG_7930.jpg

I know.

It's a little bit like me holding up a blurry photo and trying to convince you it's of Bigfoot. "See there? That's, like, a baby fish!" :rofl

Anyone have any suggestions for taking *better* photos?

IMG_7914.jpg

IMG_7921.jpg

Also, how likely is it that they'll live if I keep them in the parent tank?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww! :Congrats: That is so exciting!

If you really want to raise the fry, I would separate them because not only will the big goldies eat them, it will be darned hard to feed them without the parents eating the fry food!

Goodluck!

I put them in one of those little... net bag thingies... that hangs on the inside of the tank. Of course, I immediately lost track of every single one of them, but presumably they are in there somewhere!

Unless they are magical flying fry......

Fry are subject to being sucked up in filters (if your filters are strong enough for the adults, they are too strong for the fry), injured by filters and bubblers (even strong currents and bubbles can bend fins and injure delicate backs), and being eaten by the adults. If you have 1000s.... chances are you will get a few that survive. Otherwise, it is very wise to separate them.

Fry need to be fed every few hours for the first few weeks. This means high protien - preferably live - food every 4 hours. The food has to be miniscule so the fry can eat it. If the fry are in a tank with gravel, the food will sink beyond their reach. It is good to see that yours are in a bare bottom.

Congratulations on your "BigFoot Spawnlings"...... I hope they grow to be healthy fish. :)

Fry need to be fed every few hours for the first few weeks. This means high protien - preferably live - food every 4 hours. The food has to be miniscule so the fry can eat it. If the fry are in a tank with gravel, the food will sink beyond their reach. It is good to see that yours are in a bare bottom.

Every four hours!?

Yikes!! :blink:

I've been feeding them twice a day -- egg yolk and homemade fry food (I got a recipe off the internet, huzzah, since my LFS doesn't have that liquid fry stuff) -- but I'll step it up.

Do you know at what point I can start dropping in First Bites? They're... five days old or so at this point and are all swimming flat and "hunting," but I can't really see them well enough to know how developed their mouths are.

Every four hours!?

Yikes!! :blink:

I've been feeding them twice a day -- egg yolk and homemade fry food (I got a recipe off the internet, huzzah, since my LFS doesn't have that liquid fry stuff) -- but I'll step it up.

Do you know at what point I can start dropping in First Bites? They're... five days old or so at this point and are all swimming flat and "hunting," but I can't really see them well enough to know how developed their mouths are.

I started giving it to mine about that age. I pretty kept food in front of their faces constantly.

congrats

on the new guys

hope all goes well

:D

Thanks! :D

They're eating like little hogs now -- hopefully that's a good sign that they're all awesome and healthy, since I haven't exactly been looking them over to weed out ones that are diseased/broken. I figured, with only seven or eight of them, it's a little heartless to cull ones that might not be perfectly straight and, um... normal-looking.

Happy birthday, frylets!

You're a week old, or thereabouts!! :Jig:

(Don't you just want to snuggle them? In a super-careful way? Yes.)

Baby2Oct24.jpg

BabyOct24.jpg

They persist in having spots -- do you think they'll grow out of it?

:blink:

:unsure:

:tomuch:

Okay, yes.

This is a good point.

But if I start culling healthy fish purely because I like the broken ones, I think I cross some sort of "crazy" line. :D

Oh my goodness! Minx with babies! How about that! Well, you went from broken fish in toxic soup to being a first-class goldy breeder! Have you ANY idea who the parents are? It will be so interesting to see what these little kids grow up to look like! :Congrats:

Oh my goodness! Minx with babies! How about that!

The world trembles in fear.... :rofl

Well, you went from broken fish in toxic soup to being a first-class goldy breeder! Have you ANY idea who the parents are? It will be so interesting to see what these little kids grow up to look like! :Congrats:

I think -- *think* -- that Sirius is a girl. So... they might be telescopes with wens? Or telescopes with crazy hunched ryukin backs?

Frankly, I'll be impressed if they don't turn out to be completely finless, or have three eyes each, or possess the ability to teleport. (Toxic soup water side effects, you understand. ;) )

Of course, after they're bigger I'll have to figure out what to do with them...

Saaaaaay! Lynda! Friend Lynda! You're not looking for some babies, are you!?

The only way I can tell the babies are getting bigger is the way I'm able to take sharper photos of them. ;)

It's nice that they're still see-through-able, so I can make sure they're eating... but does anyone know at what point they become opaque?

BabyOct28.jpg

I do not know about the opaque..... mine did it at different times depending on their color......

That is a splendid, clear photo of a nice fry..... a VERY HUNGRY fry for there is no food in his belly!!!!

You are an excellent photographer..... I wish I had a fractionof your talent.

:)

Is there no food in his belly!?!?

I thought that bubble thing was his swim bladder or something -- Isn't that brownish line at the bottom his stomach/intestines? (He's been eating FirstBites, so I assumed the brown stuff was... fish food....)

Are my babies starving!?!? Daryl!!!! :krazy::krazy::krazy:

If I was going to hatch my own, where would I get the eggs?

My LFS seems to only have Big People Brine Shrimp, rather than babies.

Most LFS carry the eggs. I never tried hatching any but lots of others here have. It's supposed to be very simple. Hopefully they will chime in here. I was lucky and could get the frozen ones. There is probably posts on it in the breeding section.