Oranda Bottom Sitting...

Deahttub

Yoshi1.jpg

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 20PPM

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? PH 7.8 KH (6 Drops on tester)

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

[*]Water temperature? 77

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 Gallon Many years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin 150

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? one a week 25 to 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 5 ince Oranda

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro Gold twice a day (Tho On Medigold now)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Tail has a little red streak

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom Sitting

Ok...I have a red Oranda that is bottom sitting. It has been bottom sitting for a month or so but yesterday it was doing headstands.....My Largest Oranda was pushing it around with its big head whenever it would bottom sit.....So, I put the red Oranda in my QT tank and now I'm not sure how to medicate....It has some red streaks in its tail which none of the other fish in my main tank had.....It's belly seems more "Egg Shaped" then rounded like my other orandas......Any ideas where I should start? I have been feeding it Medi Gold for the last 10 days but it seems to have made no difference.....I attached a picture...Thanks in advance for the help !

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 5 ince Oranda

Sorry, do you mean 15 fish or 1 5 inch oranda? :P

Also, you said you put him in your QT tank, so are the perams you gave for that tank or the one he came from? It might be helpful to give the perams of his origional home too, if you haven't done that.

The parameters I gave are from the original Tank...the QT tank the parameters are all just as good...And I mean one 5 inch Oranda :) ...Here are some more pics Koko....I tried to get the best I could...

Yoshi2.jpg

Yoshi3.jpg

Yoshi4.jpg

• Admin

This fish is a girl...I think shes either egg bound or constipated....I would suggest treating her with heat 75-80F and the same formula for Dropsy on the Epsom salt....Also lets see how she does with no food for 3 days then feed her some peas :)

You know....I always thought Yoshi was a girl and possibly eggbound.......so no food for 3 days and epsom salt? Just regular epsom salt that I get at the store? And how much and for how long??

Koko....do I add the epsom salt in just once or is it a daily thing? I'm going to do a water change today and I'm just going to add the amout of epsom salt that I took out...What do you think?? Just an update it has been 24 hours since I added the epsom salt and 48 hours on a fast....She is looking more active and alert but still does bottom sit.....when I feed her again (after peas) should i keep feeding the medi gold or go to the Pro Gold? Thanks so much for your help Koko !

• Admin

How big of a water change? If only 10% dont worry, if 50% then only half the amount of salt back in....As for food I would see if you can get MetroMed, gold might cause her to back up again, if you cant do that, then I would see if you can make her a gel food that has green food in it, this will help her get nutrition plus push out the other stuff....I wouldnt feed progold until a few weeks later, just my opinion :)

I'm going to go a 50% water change so I will add another 1/8 teaspoon......I may try and get metro meds but will feed peas in the mean time one last question, I have heard that salt and epsom salt dont mix right? So when I'm done with this treatment do i need to do a 100% water change?

Wow...Koko..you are awesome :heart ...I have no words... :thud ..

Deahttub...I really hope with all the wonderful advice Koko has for you...Yoshi gets better and perks up...I ll pray for her... :) ...

Edited by SunshineGurl

Koko,

I got home from work and Yoshio is swimming around much better....But then I noticed two white dots on her gill plate under her eye....Look like pimples to me....She has another one on the other side...Here is a pic....What do you think that is? Could they be breeding stars?? What should I do??

YoshiDots.jpg

Edited by Deahttub

Ok here is an update.....Yoshi is swimming around a little more however she/he is still bottom sitting....Yoshi is way more active now, I'm assuming its cause she/he is hungry...The two pimple like spots are still on her cheek right under the eye....Is there any changeof action I should do?

Well, Yoshi looks more active, but is still bottom sitting. I think (I Know) I feed them too much and I need to vary their diet a bit more. I'm not sure which way to go with her next....She is more active which is positive but still bottom sitting...I have been feeding her peas, and she gobbles them up like noones buisness....On Wednesday it will be 7 days on epsom salt......What should I do next Koko?

Koko,

Here are the parameters. PH 7.6 Ammonia .25 (This is a cycled tank for years could it be the epsom salt??) Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate 15 PPM (a little darker orange but not red which is 20 PPM) And the KH is 7 drops...

She is way more active now then before this started, however, she still is bottom sitting. The two pimples under her eye are slowly fading away bit there is a new pimple on the base of her wen....She has improved....Obviously I need to do a water change should I continue with the epsom salt? or do a 50% today then one tomorrow and go to regular salt?

• Admin

I would do a nice water change for her...How is her poo color same as food or white? Is her gills nice a pink color? What have you been feeding her after the peas?

So lets do a 50% water change dont add any salt to the tank water.... :)

Her poo seems normal I'm feeding her a few Pro Gold Pellets in between the peas.....Her Gills look fine.....she is way more active when she sees me but still bottom sits...She has definitely improved since we started this...