I Want A Pond! What Do I Need To Know?

buffdoll

I have a nice big back yard with nothing in it but grass... I want to dig a pond!! Nothing to big but not to small either. I was thinking something like this:

http://www.aquaticawatergardensinc.com/roc...roll/index2.htm

Also, I was thinking of putting in next to my kitchen window because the house would give it shade in the afternoon. What do you think? I'm not going out right now to buy a pond because I know I need to do my homework first. I have lots of questions! Should I get the biggest preformed pond I can find at Home Depot or Lowe's and go from there? I would like it to be at least 125 or so gallons. What do I need to know other than you dig a whole in your back yard and put the preformed pond in it? I guess you cover it with a pond liner? I read in another thread that 2 feed deep is a good and that the deeper the better? How much do you think a project like this will cost? Do I have to wait till spring? If I get a pond and put a few goldfish in it.. what will happen to the goldfish in the winter? I live in south Texas. Will the pond get to cold for them? Will they die? I read that you don't feed the goldfish in the winter? Wouldn't they die from hunger? What type of filter and things like that would I need to start looking into? I have a 75 gallon tank in the house but I'd like to have a pond in the back yard too. So many other people on here have one.. me too! me too!!!! lol! My next question is? Is there lots of maintenance involved? Is the maintenance about the same as it would be for an indoor goldfish tank?

Guest 5ivedrops

You can keep goldfish in a pond absolutely. The only thing you have to watch out for is excessive breeding. I have heard that goldfish proliferate in ponds like crazy. But, of course there are many more experienced pond keepers here that could weigh in...

I'm in Houston too, and I've been building a pond in my back yard this summer. You can see some of the progress in this thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=69024

I started back in Spring, but was too slow to finish it, and really let things go over summer. It is just too hot around here to work outside! Now that things are cooling off again, it is probably a perfect time to build a pond. I actually spent several hours finishing the edging today, and with luck will be able to put some fish in soon. I'm planning on comets, and will keep them in all year long. Since I live near the center of town, it never really gets too cold here. The larger volume of water you have, the longer it will take to freeze in a cold snap. It is in summer that you really have to be careful to have enough aeration. Saying all that, my daughter's school garden has a pond, and there are several goldfish that have managed to survive in it for years with no one feeding them or otherwise taking care of them. That pond is large, at least 10 feet in diameter and two feet deep.

If you are anywhere near Katy, I would definitely check out Nelson Water Gardens. It's a great store, and they even have some pond planning documents on their web page. I bought my pond liner, pump, and lilies there, and they were very helpful when I was planning the pond.

If you use a preformed pond, you shouldn't need to line it. You can just dig the hole and put it in. You will need some kind of filtration.

You could also check out the web sites for the Houston Pond Society, and the Lone Star Koi Club. They have some good info, and pictures for inspiration.

I'm in Houston too, and I've been building a pond in my back yard this summer. You can see some of the progress in this thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=69024

I started back in Spring, but was too slow to finish it, and really let things go over summer. It is just too hot around here to work outside! Now that things are cooling off again, it is probably a perfect time to build a pond. I actually spent several hours finishing the edging today, and with luck will be able to put some fish in soon. I'm planning on comets, and will keep them in all year long. Since I live near the center of town, it never really gets too cold here. The larger volume of water you have, the longer it will take to freeze in a cold snap. It is in summer that you really have to be careful to have enough aeration. Saying all that, my daughter's school garden has a pond, and there are several goldfish that have managed to survive in it for years with no one feeding them or otherwise taking care of them. That pond is large, at least 10 feet in diameter and two feet deep.

If you are anywhere near Katy, I would definitely check out Nelson Water Gardens. It's a great store, and they even have some pond planning documents on their web page. I bought my pond liner, pump, and lilies there, and they were very helpful when I was planning the pond.

If you use a preformed pond, you shouldn't need to line it. You can just dig the hole and put it in. You will need some kind of filtration.

You could also check out the web sites for the Houston Pond Society, and the Lone Star Koi Club. They have some good info, and pictures for inspiration.

Thank you for the information!! I just looked at the thread you posted and noticed that you didn't use a preformed pond liner. Do you think it would be best if I didn't use one but instead dug the pond and used pond liner like you did? Now I'm thinking 125 gal is small. I know more water is always better. I see yours is 500 gallons. That sounds like a good size!!

I don't live in the North Houston area but if it's worth the drive I'll visit that store!! I'm in the Clear Lake/League City area.

Well, I planned to dig the pond 2 feet deep, but ended up getting impatient and only going for 1.5 feet, so it is more like 350 gallons.

With the preformed ponds, you just have to dig the hole to fit the form. With a pond liner, you can have any shape you want, but need some kind of edging to hold down the liner.

That Houston Pond Society had a pond tour at the beginning of summer, and we saw everything from a 6 foot deep pond with beautiful Koi, to a couple of hundred gallon pond with common goldfish. And they had ponds all around the beltway, and even beyond. We only looked at a few near us.

Check out the tour web page. They listed some sponsors in Pasedena, and League City. They may be closer to you, and have good information.

http://www.lonestarkoi.com/PondTour.htm

My native soil is clay and has lots of rocks so I just build above ground boxes and line them.

Here is a resent one my friend built based off my design that worked out to 2,000 gallons and cost about $500 to build:

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/09...l-together.html

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/09...n-goldfish.html

For a smaller pond you could simply build a box out of 2x4s that was say two feet deep, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long, the walls are fence boards and what ever type of finishing you wish.

Level in on the site, put in a liner and fill it up.

You trade some carpentry labor for lots of hard digging.

Best fishes

David

www....................com