My New Snails!

Anic

I've wanted to get more snails for the longest time. The ones at Pet Co always look terrible and I can't afford to ship live critters, so I couldn't order any. FINALLY bbbb had some, so I stood at the snails and bettas and little african frogs (I wanted all of them!!) trying to figure out which snails were in the best condition, and still alive.

There were violet/blue ones and ivory ones. I wanted one of each, so I was there awhile waiting on one to move.

These are the pretties I got! I don't know genders yet, hopefully boy and girl ;)

100_3020_00.jpg

100_3023_00.jpg

:heart:heart:heart:heart

I'm gonna have to get some cuttlebone to add to the water to help the new growth on their shells, since they're kind of brittle now.

Thanks guys! I have a knack for picking girl snails lol I'm going to wait until I can tell gender before I name them. It's easier for me to tell gender once they're used to me. Gary and Sally would come out of their shells and hang there when I picked them up. They'd crawl all over my hands, too.

It's always nice to have some that just flop out when you pick them up. I used to let mine crawl on me, the little girl that lived next door to me loved it. She always wanted me to put one on her, and once she promised to hold really still so I plopped one on the back of her hand and it proceeded to climb right up her arm as she stood there giggling wildly. :)

Awww they are so cute! I love the blues and ivorys. I miss having snails and really want to get them again one day. I think I'll set up an all snaily tank. :D

Can't wait to see if you end up with baby snails. That would be fun!

I've always loved blue mystery snails the best, they're just so exotic! Congrats!

ps...if you get blue babies, I call dibs!! :rofl

What wonderful cute snails you got there - you picked pretty ones! :happydance I miss my snails too, and I'll have some again one day. Can't be without them for long... :rolleyes:

Did they have some striped ones too?

Andrea - No they didn't have any striped ones :(

Megan - I think only certain snails are unisex. 'Mystery' snails aren't though. Or Apple snails. Whichever ones I have :D

Apple snails have clear genders, however it is true that some snails are hermaphroditic. There is a theory that apple snails can change their gender in times of need, like when there are many females and not enough males to increase the population. I don't know how much that merits, but it is certainly interesting.

I do remember that a female can hold the sperm of a male for something like 6 months, so she can lay fertile egg clutches from one mating with one male for half a year. I think that's incredible!