Internal Infection...red Spot On Einstein

When I got the fish we treated with salt, dimlin, prazi. No more anchor worm, no more flukes, no ich etc....I believe that was March.

Medigold for 30 days. Just ended 10/3/08. (white poo)

Marycyn 2 for recommended dosing period. bloody wen infection thing gone, bloody streaks subsiding.

Run down on fish.

Tank #1 60 gall. Moved canister filter on 55 gall tank that had been running since March. .

Artemis, oranda who got half of her wen eaten off by (the gang).

Callie, telescope.

Einstein, oranda swimming upside down (sometimes) mostly lays on her side at the bottom of the tank.

Esteban, black moor turned mostly orange now. Laying on side at bottom of the tank.

These guys plus Artemis treated with Marycyn 2. (not callie, i am copy/paste from previous pg)

Tank #2 55 gall (still have emperor with bio wheels and plates on this tank)

The gang...Lucy ryukin (sp?), Mario & Ellie shubies.

I just did water changes this morning on both tanks. Tank #1 filter(305) with cycled media burnt out in 30 gall leak Tuesday night. Have another canister on it (405). So doing lots of water changes.

By the way there is more "swimming" going on with Einstein in this tank rather than the 20 gall. :rolleyes:

It could be you still have filter probs. How much turnover do you have there power wise? An extra filter always helps if you can possibly manage it. And pack those filters with extra media. Weak fish, diseased fish and sbd fish need all the help they can get from a strong support team of good bacteria. Make sure aeration is strong too.

I should focus on filtration and media and not medication for now since you have done a fair amount of medicating and the tank history involves filter probs.

You may need to do large w/cs daily while the new media kicks in. At one point when I had a cycle crash recently I was doing back to back water changes morning and night 50% each time.

I remember, because you and I moved at the same time and both had ph issues!

I was looking at Einstein and her fins are a little shredded. There is some red streaking still but I have been thinking that it has been from the way she has been laying.

I water changing and priming!

ok. It has been nearly two months since Einstein starting laying on her side at the bottom of the tank.

She is now swimming upside down constantly. BUT now she is at the top of the tank, upside down when she sleeps. And her wen is jello-y. Artemis' wen is a little squishy but not jello-y. She seems to be way better than laying on the bottom of the tank...???

Off the cuff...how do you de-egg bind a fish? Epsom salt? :idont

Yikes. Didnt know it was so long she had been this way. You can try epsom if shes bloated yes for sure. Did you happen to notice how her poop looks recently as that can be a big clue with bouyancy issues as to whether its disease or not. Is she eating well and what do you feed her?

If its the same color as what shes eating + bubbles she likely has some digestion issues going. How would she be with just peas for a few days I wonder? Some fish just do not get along well with any processed commercial foods.

How are you doing with the pH now? Stable?

The ph is pretty stable with the coral...still weird out of the tap. Have been extremely busy with getting the house back together after the 30 gall spill on to the floor and drying the carpet and walls.

I might try my little experiment with the buckets and daily monitoring this weekend. All I am doing now is changing water to keep the ammonia down.

jello-y squishy wen....does this mean anything or are different wens on different fish have different "feel" to them?

Not really an expert on wens as I dont have wen fish but from what Ive read I think the wen does grow in spurts and can even peel off and regrow. Its not an area that is reliable for diagnosis because of that. If it was a jelly feeling elsewhere you might have some overproduction of slimecoat which happens when the water is irritating the fish. Def. any ammonia would do that..or swings of pH.

Sorry about your spills. Hopefully no-one lives under you- and you can get your carpet dry fast!

ok will let you know when i figure out my experiment....thnx on the carpet....brand new built house had 30+ industrial fans in here for a week drying the carpets and walls! UGH. I was afraid they were going to over stress the fish but they seem ok and at least Einstein is swimming rather than laying...

I will try just peas for a few days

Dosing with epsom salt...is it 1/8 teaspoon per gallon...I can't remember...I would have to go back and find that thread that sue left for me...I did dose them for a few days with epsom salt before starting the marycyn 2 and had quite a few eggs on the bottom of the tank , but if i do that I need to be very vigilant at vacuuming right?

OMG!!!!!!

Einstein has one half of her body bloated to...it looks ike a golf ball stuck to her side. That is why she is floating now.

poop is normal, the white poo is coming from esteban who is laying on the bottom of the tank

epsom salt has been in tank for....36 hours (ish)

this has probably been there since she started floating again instead of bottom of the tank laying.

Should I gently squeeze her or what..... AHHHHHHHHA :o

Dont squeeze ever :o Some people will recommend a stroke of the belly for eggbind but Ive never done it and wouldnt want to. Fish can die so easily like that, take great care.

Any chance of anew pic?

You could gently stroke her belly underneath. Fish dont squeeze each other in breeding mode they rub against each other and thats what you need to simulate. All the organs are tightly packed and so near the surface that its easy to perforate a kidneyor other organ if you squeeze. Stroking her is fine.

How much epsom do you have in there? It should start to help the swelling soon. Can you see any pineconing at all or any red spots or surface fungus etc on her body?

If its eggs, you can also raise the temp slightly which helps.

well we still have the red spots I posted in the pics for you before.

i have 1/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons of epsom salt

she is not really a let me touch you kind of fish...but i will try

I will see if i can get a pic...on top of everything else...it seems when one thing goes wrong it all goes!

Which antibiotic medicated food did you feed her again? Im sorry I think its in another thread and cant check. If shes eating at all its the best way to get meds right inside as this may be a huge infected tumor around the eggs. If the fish doesnt re-absorb it can happen. Can you try Jungle anti-bacterial food if you havent and she is eating.

Yes she is eating....my little piggies!

I had her on Medigold for 30 days. I treated with Marycyn2 for what 3-4 days???? I would have to go back and check too.

Esteban still has white poo and tank laying (on her side at the bottom) Einstein used to tank lay but now is at the top of the tank upside down with golf balll looking thing....(not quite the same size)

You want me to treat with medicated food again??

Its very shotgun but Im not sure at this point what else we can do here. Each of the medicated foods contain different antibiotics and they all target different bacteria. The Medigold did not work.The geltek products are just medication so are best used in food or shrimp etc soaked in the drops and even then quantity that gets into the fish is a problematic issue. I suggested Jungle because of the ant-inflammatory power of the sulfa antibiotics in those. If theres a growing tumor you need something that reduces the inflammation.

Oh if you can get GelTek products can you get hold of ULTRACUREBX? Not PX. BX. Its also a sulfa combo drug that would be good for your fish I think.

ok, sulfa combo...bx not px..i am headed to the fish store after work...keeping my fingers crossed if not i can try to order online and overnight??? Everyone in town here wants to medicate with anything but food. they have the whole marycyn...line of products....oh and the geltek says just put the medicine in the fishes mouth...have they tried that before...seriously!

Although she has been eating right out of my hand since it is easier for her.

What about the other fish in the tank, are they infected too? Should I treat them all? Sorry I am such a mess, thanks Imo!

Well thing with Geltek is it apparantly isnt a popular taste! Theres no food in it you see just meds so thats why they recommend babying the fish with handfeeding it right in. I hope your store carries it and yes feed the two very sick fish with it. Geltek foods are fast - higher dose so it will be just 4 or 5 days of this...

no gel tek at this store

found the jungle antibacterial

oh boy they float...not sink

I swear if you guys could see me....I am a professional fish wrangler. I go snorkling in my 60 gall tank twice a day to feed my two fish! Now that einstein is floating she runs away from me and splashes me....

How many days with this stuff? 14