10gal Tank Is Up & New Question

Guest kevharris

Guest kevharris

Well I setup the 10 gallon tank last night, let it run all day today and then acclimated Ludwig to the new tank. This tank is huge...LOL! I don't think poor Ludwig knows what to do with all the extra space. But I think he is having fun...he seems to be exploring every part of the new tank. LOL!

Now here is another question for you guys...would there be any reason not to add another fish to the tank in the future? How about a bottom feeder? Can you have those with goldfish?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Guest 5ivedrops

Yes. The reason not to add another fish is that goldfish grow fast and big in just a few months with good care. Ludwig is going to need another tank almost as soon as this one is done cycling. LOL. I have three fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon but only until it cycles and I can move everyone to their permanent home in a 55 gallon where I plan to eventually add just 1 or 2 more fish. The rule you should follow is at least 10 gallons of water per goldfish and little 10 gallon tanks should only be used for hospital/quarantine tanks. Sorry to break the news, but you really should get something bigger soon.

You can have SOME bottom feeders with goldfish, but it depends on a lot of things. Common plecos, no because they love the taste of goldfish slimecoat and can make short work of literally sucking the life out of a goldfish. Catfish and snails can be sensitive to completely intolerant of salt, so if you had to treat the goldfish for something, you would have to have another tank to accomodate one or the other during treatment. A small loach is probably the best choice. But, they still poop and poop creates ammonia, so they still need to be calculated into the overall bioload of the tank. It is generally best, overall, not to have bottom feeders with goldfish.

If one were to follow the rules to the letter, the answer to adding a second goldfish to a 10 gallon tank would have to be no. Stunting and ammonia control are the two important things in properly keeping goldfish. If the fish are very small, i.e., 1"-2", the stunting issue could be avoided for a short time. From a technical standpoint, and with a person who had some experience, if the tank were cycled and the addition of the second fish did not affect the cycle, you could have a second fish, again, for a short period of time.

Probably the deciding factor, however, would be that, to add a second fish to an established tank, you would first need to quarantine the new fish in a 10 gallon tank with salt and prazi for a period of not less than two weeks to treat for any parasites and/or diseases that the fish may have brought with it from the store. So, if you didn't have a qt tank (and your 2 gallon just wouldn't be big enough to safely use as a qt tank), you couldn't add that second fish anyway.

The solution would be that, when you wanted to get a second fish, you should first buy a 20 gallon tank, get it cycled, move your existing fish to the 20 gallon tank, then you could buy your new fish and quarantine it in the old 10 gallon tank for the 2-4 week time period before adding it to your new 20 gallon tank. Allow at least one month with your existing fish to determine that it is okay and healthy before adding more fish. Also, it will take anywhere from 4-10 weeks (or possibly more) for your tank to cycle.

Edited by Lynda Von G

For now I would not add any fist at all. 10 gallons is the least you can get away with when they are small. But they grow large and fast. My oldest oranda is 8 inch. So he would could never live in a 10 gallon tank.

Good luck and with Christmas around the corner maybe you can get yourself a 30 gallon and have two goldfish. Or a 20 and get a BN pleco. I have heard of goldfish eating cories.

Believe me, I had my ryukin in a 2 gallon tank last semester (I know, yikes!) and as soon as I moved him to a 10 gallon, he exploded....well not literally, i mean growth wise. And now he's in a 20....he would never fit back in the 10 (I can't even imagine him in the 2!) I am finishing QT of another and am seriously considering upgrading to a 30 gallon just for the two of them.

So long story short...........NO! Ludwig will eventually grow (and by eventually, I mean within the next month or so) to be quite comfy (or even a bit squashed) in his new 10 gallon. The reason for the 10/20 gallon rule is that goldfish (which are first and foremost carp...aka garbage disposals) produce way to much waste for them to be healthy in a small volume of water. Unless you have 24 hours a day to sit and test your tank (which I know you don't because you mentioned school) you won't be able to keep the waste levels low enough to provide a safe and healthy (or roomy) environment for your fish. If you are worried about Herr Luwig being lonely, tape a mirror to the side of your tank. Seriously he will love it and spend hours trying to make friends with this "new goldfish"

ps. Sorry about all the parenthetical remarks I was just feeling it today ( ;) )

Guest kevharris

Okay, then my goldfish will be solo. Thanks for the quick replies. I feel like I gotta get out there and tell people not to put these fish in 2 gallon "quick start" tubs...jeez. Think of how many poor goldfish suffer and die because of those jerks who make it look like you can put them into one of those little things.

I feel a lot better now that I see him swimming around that big tank.

And no, I am not getting a 20 gallon until I need it...LOL you guys are nuts!

Kevin

And no, I am not getting a 20 gallon until I need it...LOL you guys are nuts!

I believe the correct word is "Kokonuts," which we all very proudly call ourselves and now, you, too, are one!!! lol! Welcome to the nut tank! :tomuch: