I Have Red Water

seheap

The water coming out of the faucet is red (has rust in it). I was doing a water change in my QT and now my ryukin is in 5 gallons of water. I had already dumped out the old water (I didn't know the water would be rusty when I poured it out) and have now a bucket full of red water. I don't know what to do. I'm kinda really worried. Will my little girl be ok in 5 gallons until the water is better? There is no where else to get water from (I live in a dorm aka all water comes from the same place on campus), other wise I would do small water changes.

Can I use the red water?

What do I do?

RG

• Admin

Dont use the red water hun...If you can run the water from the tap awhile this might help it run out.....If you cant get it to go clear you could use Drinking water in the bottle forum :)

Thank you Koko! Thank you FishCrazy!

I am on my way to Meijer right now to get distilled water! I still can't get it to run clear. I had to go to class and I hope having Phoenix in half as much water as she should be hasn't set back my QT!

Thank you again!

Sarah

I have a similar problem, with yellow sulphur tapwater!

Don't just put the fish straight into bottled water. The pH is much too acidic to do that, so you'll need to add a little buffer first. You can kill your fish with pH shock if it is used to a higher or neutral pH!

I have an update!

I ran to meijer and got three gallons of water. Then I came back here and on a whim decided to check the tap again....at first it was still red, then it ran clear! I was so excited! I decided that I would keep the jugs of water in my closet just in case something like this happens again.

Good thing I didn't use the bottled water, I don't have a buffer! The tap pH and my tank pH have always been almost exactly the same, lucky me I guess.

The water out of my taps first comes out rusty red too, but if you let it run long enough, it always clears out. It's generally a good idea to let any tap water run for a bit before filling your water change buckets with it because a lot of different things besides rust can settle into the resting water in pipes and it's good to get a good flush of the pipes before using the water.

• Admin

You want Drinking water not Distilled cause that will boil all the minerals out of the water... :( But yes you need to test the drinking water and see how close it is to your own tank water. :)

btw, Leslie, I LOOOOOVE that picture of, I'm assuming, Starbuck, in your avatar!!!! It's soooo ethereal! Beautiful!

O I thought that distilled water was better for fish because it wouldn't have flouride in it....o well, I guess I can use the water I bought for my own use! I will get a few jugs of drinking water though to keep ICE.

There are three basic kinds of bottled water. These are the gallon jugs, not the designer waters like Evian. And this is by U.S. standards, which are different than European or Asian standards. These waters are: Distilled (or Purified), Drinking and Spring.

Distilled/Purified water has everything removed from it and nothing added. Distilled/Purified water has all the good minerals as well as the bad stuff removed.

Drinking water, really, is nothing more than your very own local water from your public water supply. Drinking water will most likely have chlorine, chloramines and trace minerals just like your regular tap water and, possibly, in some cases, flouride, if your area allows such treatment. It is, in essence, the very same thing that comes from your tap with the exception that it has been certified safe from harmful bacterias and unstable elements such as iron and sulphur.

Spring water is probably the most pure bottled gallon size water that is on our grocery store shelves. It has all of the natural trace elements left in it, but has had no chlorine or chloramines added and has been tested and certified safe for bacterias and unstable elements.

So then I should buy spring water? I guess that makes sense because it's from the ground and if my little goldies were in the wild it's what they'd be in, right?

OK then! I am off to meijer.......well maybe in the morning.