Man-eating Goonch (giant Catfish)

Pixiefish

The first pic is indeed a Bagarius catfish, which the article talks about, but the 2nd one is a Wels catfish, which is native to Europe and while grows huge, is nowhere near as scary-looking as the Bagarius :D

Edited by d_golem

they did a episode on this, on the show MonsterQuest

there not really man eating they see somthing that they can fit in there mouth (toes) and they go for it (like a shark)

the teenagers were at the wrong place at the wrong time :(

The first pic is indeed a Bagarius catfish, which the article talks about, but the 2nd one is a Wels catfish, which is native to Europe and while grows huge, is nowhere near as scary-looking as the Bagarius :D

Oh, I see. The 2nd picture is from an advertised documentary which is going to be aired on UK TV soon - I think the guy explores several large fish. I thought it looked different to the first, a little like a catfish with a rat's face! Eeew!

there not really man eating they see somthing that they can fit in there mouth (toes) and they go for it (like a shark)

Is that the final word on these fish? So it wasn't an aquired appetite due to the large amount of bodies dumped into rivers from funeral pires?

Still, even if it was not their intent to eat people, it's pretty terrifying that they would drag a person to an under-water death, mistaking them for a large fish. Those things are the size of a shark!

Oh, I see. The 2nd picture is from an advertised documentary which is going to be aired on UK TV soon - I think the guy explores several large fish. I thought it looked different to the first, a little like a catfish with a rat's face! Eeew!

Is that the final word on these fish? So it wasn't an aquired appetite due to the large amount of bodies dumped into rivers from funeral pires?

Still, even if it was not their intent to eat people, it's pretty terrifying that they would drag a person to an under-water death, mistaking them for a large fish. Those things are the size of a shark!

That is what they found out on the show?

it may be the bodies as well?

we might never really know

• 1 year later...