Do Pearl Scales Need Different Care Thank Lionheads Or Orandas?

buffdoll

I have lionhead goldfish.. right now 3 in a 75 gal tank. I have room for about 4 more and I'd REALLY like to have some pearl scales!!! I guess my question is.. do pearlscales need more care than lionheads? The reason I ask is because I bought a pair of 2 pearlscales from PetCCo and BOTH died! I took them back and got 2 more but by the very next day the ones in the stores tank looked sick already but I took the new ones home in hopes that maybe good clean water in a hospital tank could save them. NOPE! No luck! I'm 99% sure it was the store. I went to a different PPetCo and bought another one. It looked healthy but it died also. What could be killing them? They all went to hide in the back of the tank, wouldn't come out, and wouldn't eat. Do they need different care or is it the store or maybe where the store gets their goldfish?? Also, I noticed that ALL the goldfish in that store are gone and the lights are out on all the goldfish tanks.

It was probably wherever the company gets the fish if all of the tanks were empty. The vendors probably sold them sick fish to begin with. It wasn't you. As far as care goes, I don't think they need any more care than any other fancy. They're probably a tad bit slower because they're so round. And they're probably more likely to get SBD. I'm getting a pearlscale hopefully this weekend.

From my experience they don't require any more care then any other fancy goldfish. As far as your fish dying, it was probably sick fish and not your fault. P*etco has the worst fish in my area. The goldfish always have some type of fungal infection or are sucked to the filter. One time there was a telescope fish that was missing an eye.

Depending on the shape of the pearl scale, they may have difficulty swimming. My pearlie is really round and has a short tail. He takes a little longer to get to the top or out of currents.