Please Help Percy!

Guest Fishgal111

Guest Fishgal111

[*]Ammonia Level? .2

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?3

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?8.3

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?75F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?20 Gallons, 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper 20, Not sure of the exact specifications

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 20% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One other Black Moor, 4 inches; pleco, 3/4inch; Platy, 1/2inch; Blue Dwarf gorammi, 1inch;

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Jungle water conditioner tabs (with water changes), occasional water clarifier by Tetra, Fresh Water aquarium salt (2 tablespoons weekly)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Gold fish crisps from Tetra, two small meals a day (two pinches each serving), tropical fish flakes from Tetra (small pinch for other fish), an occasional algae waffer

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? I just added the gorami a few days ago

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No, I wasn't sure what to use

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Percy has ich but I think it is due to his eye problem. Gorrami looks like it may be getting a sore on it's side.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, that is why I'm baffled.

This is my first fish tank and I started it about 6 months ago. I started out with just my two Black Moors, Percy and Beeker. A few days ago, I noticed Percy had kind of a film on his right eye. Yesterday his eye was swollen to almost twice it's normal size but it didn't look like any of the pictures of pop-eye that I saw on the internet or in books. I'm not sure if he injured it or if he has some sort of parasite. Last night, his whole eye turned opaque white- almost like there is a blister on his eyeball or a cateract. The skin around his eye is normal black with the very rim (where the eye socket meets the eye) bright red. He was acting a bit sluggish but still had an appetite, other than that he was hanging toward the top of the tank. This evening the white on his eye is sloughing off and it almost looks like there is mucus coming out of it. The strange thing is his eye almost looks like it is less swollen and he seems to be less sluggish, even going back to his habit of picking through the gravel. He hasn't really lost his appetite at all. He has has some white stringy poop though. I'm not sure what to do. I want to help the little guy! Do I quarantine and medicate him? My gorrami seems like he is getting a sore on his side also. Should I quarantine both fish and medicate them both? My other black moor and my platy don't seem to be having any problems so should I medicate the whole tank to be on the safe side? What medication should I give them (if any)? Please help!

I'm not quite that experienced as some of the others on this board. But, Goldies and tropicals don't mix, and gouramis can be agressive and so can plecos. At 20 gallons you are overstocked and it also sounds like underfiltered. Goldfish need ten gallons per fancy goldfish and 20 gallons per common.They also need 10times filteration so you maybe able to add an additional filter to the one you already have, and they also need aeration, via bubble wand or air stone.

I wonder if maybe your pleco attacked your goldfish. Is there some sort of possiblity of separating the tropicals from the Goldfish?

Hi Fishgal and a big welcome to kokos :exactly !!

I'm sorry your Percy is not well. I think it is very difficult keeping goldies in with trops as they really do have very different needs. I know many stores say its okay but this is just what we have found here - that mixing brings probs.

Also you are rather overstocked with all these fish in a20 gallon. Now would be a perfect time to divide your fish in fact. Your moor will do fine on his own and perhaps you could find a rubbermaid or other large container to house the tropical fish including the pleco. I don't know what kind of pleco you have there but almost all of them are not recommended companions for goldies.

Probably you have several things going on here. It sounds like your pH is dropping fast which happens when a tank gets sick. You can start setting things right by doing a 90 or 100% water change in the tank. Yes. A huge temp matched water change. Trust me it is the first and most important thing to do here.

Then, with the ich you will have to salt the tank with the moor in. The trops will need to be placed in a nother container for this. Do you know how to salt to 0.3%? There is a link in my sig which talks you through that.

• 2 weeks later...