Anchor Worm, Or... Not Anchor Worm?

Well, it's time for another round of "Minx sees something weird on her fish and darn it, it's really hard to get a photo of, but she's going to try and figure out what it is anyway."

WormZoomIn.jpg

This week, we've got Bette Davis, again -- surprise!

I'm trying to figure out what the thing is growing near his anal fin.

WormFullBody2.jpg

WormFullBody3.jpg

I have two guesses.

It could be anchor worm, although honestly, friends, it doesn't look like anchor worm, mostly because the part it's attached to doesn't appear to be a different color, and the "worm" itself is black and gold; isn't that more goldfishy than parasitic bug...y?

Otherwise, I'd guess it's a fragment of a second anal fin that isn't there anymore, that picked up a little bit of ammonia burn when I tossed him into an uncycled tank. But if that's the case, I'd think that he'd look more uneven in the back, and the anal fin that I *can* see appears to be in the middle, not to one side as though it's missing a mate.

Please tell me it's just a piece of a fin, and that I don't need to try and pluck it off with a pair of tweezers?

::: eyes shimmer :::

Please?

Don't really know what it is for sure, but to me it doesn't look like an anchor worm. One of the mods can hopefully help distinguish better hopefully.. But here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70364

This is my thread from when Miranda had anchor worm. It has some good pics. Like the 6th post down, the pics of miranda NOW so anchor worms on her very clear. And towards the end of the thread I believe I post a pic of the anchor worm after its removed.

Ugh you have had a lot of problems lately. I'm so sorry :(

Ugh, it doesn't look like a "white wiggly thread stuck to the fish with a pitchfork for a head"! That is my description of the anchor worm looked like on Ellie many moons ago. But...not a mod.

Any chance the 2nd anal fin was partially fin rotted off but is now growing back....because you are doing an oh so lovely job of loving your fish back to health???? :wub: Let us hope!!! Good luck, I am taking a bet on the second rather than the first. :P

Phew, thanks guys!

Yeah, I've been staring at it for *hours* today thinking to myself, "You know, it doesn't *look* like it's burrowing into his flesh..." but because I had already treated him with General Cure, I was also worrying that maybe it was, like, a dead baby anchor worm! Dead but still stuck to him! Zombie anchor worm!

Sue, those are terrifying photos... if I saw that on my fish I'd scream. Loudly.

LOL Stephie I'll totally say that I'm healing his fins back into existence! Although if I am, it's the first time ever! ::: looks at her other broken babies ::: :rofl:rofl

BLAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Am at 200 posts!!!!!!!

Can now wreak havoc wherever I wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:I-Thank-You:

(There's no smiley that conveys maniacal laughter. I feel that needs to be petitioned for.)

Def. not anchor worm hun. Is it coming out of her uno hole?

Congrats on your 200 milestone!!! You are now eligible to dive into all the gossip in chatterbox :D

Def. not anchor worm hun. Is it coming out of her uno hole?

Huzzah for lack of anchor worm!

But negative for coming out of his, ah, hole. It's just sort of jutting out of the back of him. There's also kind of a... rounded spot, where it joins up to the body, but no signs of irritation or anything.

Congrats on your 200 milestone!!! You are now eligible to dive into all the gossip in chatterbox :D

And a *blog*! Whee! :D

Thanks IMo for verify and asking the question I was afraid to ask...as a non-mod. My first thought was def not anchor but it looks like pooh..so if not....can you try to aim the camera about 2000 times more to get a clear pic? LOL

Only since I have a fish lying on its back not moving accept an occasional movement and can't get a clear pic!! UGH!

I think it would help Imo diagnose better! :)

Congrats! Me too on the "finally" 200 to bad it is because most of my posts were due to ignorance...laughing again I swear here. et those pics and everyone will be happy..well except for you all frustrated and all

::: laughs :::

Well, he's refusing to pose... or perhaps it's because I'm slipping into a lack-of-sleep coma....

I'll try and get some shots tomorrow morning.

Otherwise, I had a couple of pics on my recent post about the weird lump on his *other* side (seriously, what a freak) and I think they were sort of in focus.

So maybe those would help?

And then I'll juasldiufszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Okay!

We have... three new pictures of his weird wormy-thing side:

Worm1.jpg

Worm3.jpg

Whoo, he looks *really* ammonia-y here, but I swear it's not actually that pronounced. I think when I color corrected in Photoshop it went too far....

Worm7.jpg

Two pictures of his weird bump-near-tail side (just for you, Stephie):

Worm6.jpg

Worm2.jpg

And my vain attempt to get a picture of his backside, so we can see if he is supposed to have one or two anal fins:

Worm4.jpg

Again, I don't know if these'll be any more helpful than any of the others, but they're the best shots I could get this morning, especially considering they were punctuated by Bette Davis' frantic shrieks of "Gah! Stop using the flash! I can't close my eyes!" ;)

sooooo....... tell me if this is what I'm seeing..... there's only one of these (anal) fins and it's on the right and there's no fin on the left side? If this is the case, then, yeah, your little mutant fish just has one more mutancy about it.... these fins should be in pairs and the left one just didn't grow.... but, the thing is.... it wasn't there AT ALL before? And now it's growing? That IS odd. Well, a sign of getting better I guess... good luvin'!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Methinks there are several genetic abnorms on your fishy here and the growth is another. I had a bubble eye with a kind of growth on its dorsal very similar. I tried to pull it out once poor baby but over time realised it just gave the fish extra unique points :heart

it wasn't there AT ALL before? And now it's growing? That IS odd. Well, a sign of getting better I guess... good luvin'!

In all honesty, it *might* have been there before, although I can't see it in any of my past photos -- I'd been so concerned about the weird lump on his other side that I really didn't....turn him around and look to see what else might be wrong with him! :D:rofl

Yay for unique points, Trinket!! I think I'll stick with that until I see the sticky-outy-thing trying to crawl away, and realize it's a mutant parasite. ;)

Methinks there are several genetic abnorms on your fishy here

Minx wouldn't know what to do with "normal" fish... she is, after all, the "Savior of Freaks and All Things Broken"! :rofl3

Methinks there are several genetic abnorms on your fishy here

Minx wouldn't know what to do with "normal" fish... she is, after all, the "Savior of Freaks and All Things Broken"! :rofl3

Well I can't have an *attractive* fish! It would be so sad, knowing I didn't love it as much as its broken siblings! :rofl