Jump to content

Fish Poisoned!


ANGELMB15

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

PLEASE HELP!!! I think my goldfish have been poisoned. I was doing my regular water change and adding some algaefix when my cap came off and half the bottle was dumped into my tank :o I immediately tried to change as much water as I could, but in about 15 minutes my fish were all floating at the top with what looks like slime coming off of them. Its been about 24hrs now and they are still floating, i did another water change also. Is there any hope for my fish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

is there any way you can answer as many of the questions at the top of this thread for us?

and approximately how much water did you take out during the 1st water change?

and how much during the 2nd?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I'm sorry about your fish!

I found a site that said, about Algaefix,

"Any time you add an algaecide, pH spikes immediately. Even trace amounts of ammonia can be toxic at high pH. Test your water for ammonia before using AlgaeFix and do not use unless ammonia reading is 0 mg/L. If it is not, treat the water for ammonia or perform water changes until the reading is 0. Follow the instructions exactly and be very careful not to overdose. We recommend providing extra aeration while using AlgaeFix. Continue to monitor ammonia levels while using the products, and if needed, provide temporary quarters for your fish."

So if you have an ammonia tester, I'd say you should check that first, and then change water frantically until it's back to zero....

Although someone more in the know might have better ideas?

Edited by Minx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

nitirite 0ppm

nitrate 20ppm

pH 7.2

ammonia 2ppm

water temp 75f

30gallon aquarium

i changed 75% the first time and about 25% the second time

i have 2 red and white orandas about 2inches in length

penguin bio filter

also their fins were clamped yesterday but they seem to be using them today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

That was after the second water change. I was using tetra water conditioner for goldfish, but i bought API stresscoat+ today, the guy at the store said that its supposed to be really good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

If the ammonia was still at 2 after the second water change, I'd start bucketing it out of your tank while you wait for a mod.

(And be sure you're adding the stress coat water conditioner to all the new water you're putting in -- I know that's obvious, but from experience when I've had to take lots and lots of water out... it can be easy to forget! :) )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

If the ammonia was still at 2 after water change, do the biggest water change you can without stressing th fish out tooo much! NOW! I know it is late, but geez! Trust me I have been where you are and it is NOT fun. Change as much at you can.. I always try to the top of the tallest fin and then add new water.

Even if it hasn't sat all night...this is an emergency. Just make sure it is dechlorinated and amm free. Another BIG water change will help/\.

If nothing else I have learned here...you are NOT a fish keeper as much as a "water keeper". Do it now you don't want to lose your fish to amm poisening...I did that my first tank, and into my second. Not so much fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Put your fish in a bucket of new, clean, treated water and change-out the whole tank. Return the fish to completely new water. 2ppm is way too high.

After doing this, test your params daily to be sure the water is safe and stablized. Add extra aeration, if you can, to support their gill function after the accident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Just to chime in here, you've been given excellent advice. The only thing I have to add is that if you're having difficulty getting the ammonia down to zero, you can get Prime at the lfs. It will detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours and give you some help between water changes. Your fish losing slimecoat is truly an emergency here and you have to act fast.

Good luck! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hey everyone, i woke up this morning and thanks to everyones advice it looks like its helping. I changed 50% of the water last night before I went to bed. This morning I went to check on the fish and it looks like they are getting better. There moving around now looking for food, but one is still hanging out at the top like he has swim bladder disease or something. Is this part of the shock or something? Oh yea and I dont see that much slime coming off of them no more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

OK - did you test the water today? It needs to be zero for ammonia - ammonia burns the gills which is why a fish will often hang at the top after a spike. The trick is to test very regularly until you are sure things have settled down and are back to normal ie. Zero ammonia/nitrite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Your readings look much, much better now. You've been given great advice that has paid off big. Just keep up the good work now and it sounds like all will be fine. I just have one thing to add.

Algae is not your enemy. It may not be the prettiest thing to look at sometimes, but it is an excellent source of nutrition that fish love to nibble on and its growth is actually a sign of a healthy tank and is a building block for more complex forms of plant life to grow and which stabilizes an aquatic environment. The more aggressively algae is removed, the more aggressively the water works to regrow it.

It may sound odd, but if you allow some algae to permanently remain in your tank, whether on a rock, decoration, back wall or something else in your tank, you will actually see the growth of the algae significantly slow down to completely stop.

But, bottom line, if you do feel the need to remove all algae, there is nothing that works better, and is more safe, than elbow grease. Short of a dechlorinator, there really isn't anything that needs to be added to a tank to improve water quality. Water quality can't be bought, it has to be earned.

And here's hoping for continued improvement for your fish!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Regular Member

Everything this is all back to normal, thanks for asking. My goldfish are swimming around and growing everyday seems like haha, but I do have to thank everyone for their help if it werent for everyone my fish probably would have died.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...