Keep Your Fingers Crossed For Me, Folks

whitner

I went to the LFS just to look around. Of course I headed straight to the fish department. They don't carry a big variety of goldfish, but I passed by a tank that had 3 bubbleyes and 2 pearscales. The pearls were so TINY too, about an inch long. I saw them swimming along the top and I thought, "What are those?" They looked like little balls with tails. Haha. They were so cute, though. I've never seen them from the front view, always from the side view and I didn't realize how round they are! They waddled when they swam. :D Now I want one. One was completely peach colored and the other was peach with black tips on his tails. I liked the full-colored peach one, but I could tell that he/she had a slight case of swim bladder. So I asked the associate about them and she said that the entire tank wasn't ready to sell yet because they all were being treated for ick. One bubbleye had white specks on his tail so they had to treat the whole tank. She said that the treatment is almost done and that they should be ready for sale on Sunday. I was watching them for quite a while and I noticed the bigger bubbleye bullying the two pearscales so they mostly stayed in one spot. I'm worried about them, that's why I wanted to take one home. I don't want that bully to hurt him in the next 3 days.

Do you guys think he'll be okay? When I bring him home, I mean. He was slightly wabbly and I'm guessing it's swimbladder. And he's being treated for ick. And of course I'll treat him as well to be safe. Or do you think I should go with the other pearlscale? I'm sure that one will lose the black on his fins in time. But his scales weren't very "defined" like the other one. Is that normal for a young pearlscale?

I have a 10 gallon tub that I have set up as a q-tank and he could live in that until I get my 29 gallon. Which leads me to my next topic. They had on clearance a 29 gal. long WITH stand for $170! Just one! And how ironic is it that it's the exact size I want? And my parents aren't home to discuss it with. They know how badly I want a bigger tank and there's one right there!

Wish me luck, guys.

A pearlie?! I'm soo jealous.. I have yet to find any around me. :(

Go for it! And a 29 gallon, with stand on clearance like that? I hope your parents are more understanding then mine and let you get it! Good luck! Keep us posted.

We've got to see this adorable baby once you get him. I'd get the one you want.. one of my fish has swim bladder and other than swimmin' funny, she's doin' fine. :P

Well, I told my mom about the awesome price of that tank, and she shot it down. :( But I will keep trying. There's no way I can pass it up. She still thinks that's a lot of money, and it is, but not as much as it would have been before the clearance. It was $225 for everything. But $170...she just doesn't seem to understand.

Oh, I forgot. I took pics of the little pearlies. The one I want is the darker orange. And that bubble eye is the bully.

P1050872.jpg

P1050871.jpg

They are such cuties, Whitner! Pearlies are one of my favorites. :heart

When you say the pearls aren't very defined, you mean they aren't very well visible, yes? That could very well be in a young fish. As long as most of the scales are actually pearly, that is okay. Once a pearlscale scale falls off, it will grow back as a regular scale, not a pearly one.

As to the Ich, just a word of warning - if you still can see Ich spots on the fish, and you want one after they go up for sale, be prepared to continue treatment for Ich. if Ich is still visible, it isn't cured. And it takes about 4-6 days after all the spots are gone to actually give the fish the "all clear" - Ich eggs will not be effected by any treatment and happily develop after everybody thinks that the fish is okay, only to cause havoc later when popping up as the second generation of trouble. So, if you get those, have the salt handy and be watchful.

Now, go work on your parents - you want, no, you NEED that tank!! :D:thumbs:

Thank, Ranchugirl. I'm aware of the ich. They're so small, though, would the salt hurt them? I don't remember if the lady told me how long they'd been on the ich treatment. I think it had been awhile. I'm so afraid that they'll be gone if I don't get them on Sunday. You don't see pearlscales where I'm from. And I'm kinda hoping that when I get the little guys my parents will have to get me a bigger tank. Ha ha.

The one that I want has pearly scales, the other one doesn't. I just wanted to make sure if it was because it was young. They look to be the same age, but who can really tell, right? Maybe the one I want is older.

I have an update on the little pearlies. Not a good one, either. I stopped by the LFS today to check on them, and the one I wanted was gone and the other was floating in a corner. I couldn't tell if it was dead or not, so I asked the lady working and she poked at it with a net. Yes, it was dead. :cry1 I was so sad, but when she told me that she was putting in an order today for a new batch I felt better. They should be in on Wednesday. And I will be there. Hehe. There's a good side to this, though. If I had gotten one of those pearlies and they were still sick, the outcome might not have been good. With this new batch I'll have a better chance at picking a healthy one.

As much as we might want a cute little fishy, patience is always most important. We need to know that we inspected the fish well and determined that it's healthy. We need to think the whole process through and know we entered into it well-prepared. It's very sad that the poor little fish died, :cry but chances are, it would've if you'd bought it anyway, so you saved yourself money and heartache. Make very certain, with this new batch, that you look at them carefully and know you're getting a good, healthy fish and that you're prepared to qt it properly when you bring it home. And, if you can't say for certain that you are comfortable with the health of the fish, you need to be prepared to walk away, once again. No matter how rare pearlscales might be to your area, if it dies, it just doesn't matter! :goodluck !

Goodluck! You are so lucky to find pearlies near you, I've yet to see one in person. Hopefully this new batch will be healthy and you can give one (or a few ;) ) a good home.

I know how it is trying to persuade your parents that a tank is a good buy. Mine thought an upgrade to a 20 with a full canopy for $65 was too expensive and "unnecessary." I will keep my fingers crossed, just rememeber not to get to upset with them, if you aren't a goldie-keeper it's hard to understand!

Is their disapproval that they don't want an aquarium sit up in the house or that they won't pay for it?

They won't pay for it and they won't let me buy it. I told them that it could be an early Christmas present. And I told them that we can go halfway. But I can see why they don't want to. Times are tough right now. I just don't know when or if I'll ever be able to find another deal like this. It's still at the petstore and as far as I know no one else has asked about it.

Would they object if you earned the money yourself? Maybe the Petstore would allow you to pay on it for a little while....LAYAWAY? If you could scrap up like $45 a week it would be yours in a month!

They don't do layaway. :( The thing is I have a very large car payment as well as a Target credit card (not a major CC yet) bill to pay on. I work two jobs, but one doesn't pay me squat. I've been looking around, but no luck. So my parents definately wouldn't let me save. I can hear my mom now, "You can be putting that money toward a payment." Yada yada yada. And my luck the tank will be gone by the time I get the money together. The little pearlies will be small so whatever one I get can live in that tub I have prepared for it. I can always get a bigger one later. They're not that expensive. It'll do until I can get a bigger tank. And maybe, just maybe, they'll get me one for Christmas. It's not like I'm asking for anything else.

Well, if I was your Mom & you asked me I, too, would advise you to take care of the debt you have now. (plus get rid of the credit cards! Save your money, rather than charge stuff!) Other deals will come along!

I have another update on the pearlscales. I was told that the pearlies would be in today, so I went by and they weren't there. :( I'll try again next Wednesday.

But my brother and I went half 'n half and bought a blonde long-haired hamster. He's the sweetest thing. :)

i hope they come soon! i want to see pictures!! word of warning tho... those little pearlies with their cute round little bodies can be tough to keep. if theyre already exhibiting swim bladder issues, you might want to pass...being prone to swim bladder already with their body structure, it'd be tough to get one healthy after they've already started having problems. i just tried to rescue three little pearlies from w-mart (im a sucker for sick fish... i knew what i was getting into) but with their body structure, it was too hard for them and they all three passed on. good luck tho! maybe you'll have better luck than i did.