How Does My Tank Setup Sound?

Guest The Polak

Guest The Polak

Well, in the middle of my cycle and just got back from buying a few things from the local bigals.

My tank is a 29 gal, and for filtration I have a eheim 2028 pro II and bought a whisper 20 air pump recently. I realize my gph is a touch below the magic 10X filtration (sitting around 9.5-9.8X depending on source), but I felt that since my tank will be relatively lightly stocked (2 fancies in 30 gal) and water conditions will be regularly monitered this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but am always open to advice/concerns.

My questions at this point would be firstly whether you feel I should get any extra filtration, and if so what kind and any recommendations (noise is a huge concern as this is a bedroom tank and I don't like noisy filters).

Secondly, would a whisper 20 be alright or should I upgrade to a 30/40? (Also, would turning off the pump at night cause any problems, I live in northern alberta so other than 1-2 months the temperature shouldn't reach too high levels).

Lastly, does anyone know where/what kind of pump I could buy to pump water up from a large bucket for water changes? (Around 1.5-2M head would be fine)

Other than that just a simple tank with large gravel stones (have python to vaccum them weekly) and a bunch of fake plants. Thank you all very much for the help!

• Admin

You would be at the max when the fish get full size so I would suggest a HOB plus the fact that if the canister has a problem you would need a back up....

If your talking about turning off the air stone...not a problem there. :)

Just to add to Kokos response, yeah, turning off the air pumps are fine, but you don't ever want to turn off your filters. Filtration is not only about removing waste, but it's also about providing oxygen. Goldfish can suffocate in a relatively short period of time if sufficient oxygen is not provided.

With regard to the pump for pumping the water from the bucket into the tank, I'm kind of confused because your python will add the water back in as well as take it out. Is there a reason you don't want to utilize it for that? But, if you did want to use a pump, any type of pond pump would work. One that just pumps water and really doesn't filter is, of course, all that's needed. I use a Rio brand pond pump to pump water back into my tank. It's a 200 gph and it has just a little bit of a problem getting all the way uphill. I kind of have to get a good suction going, but once it gets going, it's fine, so I should say if you got a 300+ gph, it should probably work well enough to get it uphill that far.

Guest The Polak

Thanks for the responses, the main problem I have with the whole pump ordeal is my water contains chloramines and thus reads about 1 ppm ammonia and thought it might be dangerous to add it directly to my tank via python, or is this fine if i dose water conditioner (I use Prime) while adding?

Otherwise I was thinking to treat the water after a cleaning and pump it back into the tank from 6 gallon buckets that were treated and stirred.