Fleas! I Hate Fleas

My one cat is FULL of fleas.. I fumigated my house bathed both cats(then sprayed both cats ) ..sprayed my dog ..I'm seeing dead fleas ..so I'm hoping I am winning the battle ....I have no carpets downstairs so thats a a plus ..just upstairs ..so they got fumigated and so did the furniture....funny thing is my one cat has a flea collar just a simple 3 dollar flea Collar and when he was bathed I hardly saw any ...when my other cat was bathed without a flea collar ..we was COVERED..I really didn't think that they worked very well but i guess I was wrong

I have no fleas. My cats have no fleas. They were gone within 24 hours. Dead. All of them.

I do not want to sound like an advertisement, but from working in the shelter business for 20+ years, I can tell you that flea control has progressed so far beyond flea collars, fumigation, dips and baths! It used to be if a nursing cat came in to the shelter we had to either decide to destroy them all or to just suffer through the fleas for the interm of the nursing. Tiny kittens? We had to painstakingly comb them all free of the nasty bugs, for shampoo and such would kill the kitten. Cats coming from surgery? Nothing to be done. Tiny puppies? A death sentence.

Then along came the class of drugs that affects the flea - the insect - and not the mammal. These chemicals disconnect the insect's brain from their bodies. In short, the brain no longer tells the lungs to breathe and the heart to beat. The insect DIES. With Advantage, the fleas would die within minutes. With Frontline they die within 24 hours.

Fleas require a living creature to live on. They require a blood meal regularly. They will lay eggs and have larvae in your house, but the adult flea with be found on a creature - at least until populations become so great that this is not possible. So, by treating your animals with a drug that has a residual, any flea that jumps on the animal is killed - and killed faster than it can reproduce. If you do nothing more than treat the animal with the residual drug, the fleas will die out in your house - for as they hatch and grow to adulthood and need a blood meal, they jump on the cat/dog and are killed by the drug. Within a few weeks the problem is gone. You can speed this by washing all bedding and vacumning throughly - even your hard floors - the baseboards and corners are common flea egg and larvae colletors. Empty the vacumn OUTSIDE the house.

Flea collars are notorious for producing problems. I have seen hundreds of cats and some dogs that have permanent areas around their necks where they have lost all their hair. The skin thickens and gets rough and hairless from constant exposure to pesticides. Small children should not pet the cat/dog and touch the collar. When the collar get wet, the poison is released very quickly - and we have seen some cats come into the emergency room from toxic overdose due to a flea collar getting wet.

Sprays, fumingations and such are all POISONS you are spraying in your house. Yes - you are using a small enough amount that it kills the fleas (hopefully) and not the dog, cat, baby, etc. but it is still there and is still toxic. If you consider all the toxins in our environment - many of which do not "go away" but, instead, build up over the years in our bodies, spraying a posion in your environment is a SCARY thing.

The price of Frontline has risen ridiculously. Absolutely insanely. We used to have about $1 a dose. Now it is more like $10 a dose. But it is WELL worth it.You can save a bit if you have multiple animals. Frequently, you can buy doses meant for LARGE dogs. It is the SAME meds as what is used for small cats - just more of them. I dump the large volume of chemical into a small cup/bottle. I use a syringe (plastic - no needle) to draw out the specified dose for the small animal and use that. One large dog dose can do 3 small cats or up to 5 kittens. It USED to be that the large dog doses did not cost much more than the small cat doses.

Look into it. If your animal go outside regularly, dosing them once a month is still better than fumigating, dipping, flea collaring, etc. It is cleaner, works better, is much much safer and will not be that much more expensive. It is also much less labor intensive.

Advertisement is over. Get rid of those fleas. I hate fleas.

:hug

I agree. I'm not sure what brand it was, but when we got our cat she was COVERED in fleas, almost dead actually from malnutrition and blood loss. We bathed her as well and I combed her, we must have got at least 100 fleas off her and she was still crawling. The vet gave us drops we had to apply to the back of her neck (so she couldn't lick them off) and bam! all the fleas were gone, just like that. And, it was fairly cheap.

And I really only trust Frontline and Advantge after a bad incident using a cheaper version (I think it was Bio Spot). Last summer I rescued a litter of motherless kittens (about four weeks old) living in my community garden. They were covered in fleas and from only being in our house an hour until they went to the foster we had fleas. I bought Bio Spot for our cat and had leftover Frontline for the dog. Within a hour or so of using the Bio Spot and spraying flea spray (made for cats...cats are very susceptible to the drug used in dog flea meds and it can kill them) our cat started acting drunk. Having worked at a vet's office I knew enough to immediately bath him using Dawn and he instantly perked up and was normal again. I then got online and read all these reviews of people losing cats after Bio Spot. Now I only use Frontline or Advantage, and sometimes Capstar (safe capsules that kill the fleas within an hour after you give it to your pet and can be used at the same time as the others if you have a big problem). And I don't treat our cat at all, just the dog. And we haven't had fleas since. And the kittens all got great homes. Happy endings all around.

I'm curious about what you think about products like Sentinel that are a combo heartworm/flea control product Daryl? I know it's not effective if your animal already has feas but it seems to have worked very well in keeping them off Josie (my mother always has to battle fleas in the yard and Josie didn't have a single flea on our summer stay) and the whole keeping them from reproducing seems to be a plus.

I actually had a chat with the vet yesterday about sentinel (I know I'm not Daryl, but figured I'd share :P )

We've had our dog on it all summer with great results, she's been in the woods, ocean, stables and fields with no fleas. However she was off it for about 3 weeks and I noticed her getting bit itchy. We put her back on it and I asked the vet if she'd need a topical treatment too, since sentinel doesn't kill fleas but rather suspends their lifecycle (eggs won't hatch) but she assured me it was enough. We treated our dog again last night and her itching seems to have stopped already.

We use advocate on our cat. I hadn't treated him in a while (busy with uni, lost track of time) and found he was scratching a little more and consequently I found fleas. Treated him and the next day, no more fleas. I assume they are in the carpet so it would be pretty hard to eradicate them because the eggs are very resistant.

I like advocate because out of all the spot on products it treats a wider range of parasites. Not only fleas (kills adults and immatures) but, ear mites, heartworm (not so much of a problem in cats than dogs), roundworm (adult, immature, L4), hockworm, hookworm (immature and L4). Many of the others (like revolution) only kill 1 stage of worm (usually adult) and hence the larvae survive.

Thats just what I've found anyway. It's about $10/month but I've never seen it any cheaper ever?

Edited by svendenhowser

Frontline all the way

try this website

www.1800petmeds.com

Do you know if there's a Canadian version of this? I paid $90 for 6 months of Sentinle yesterday, I thought it was a little steep.

i don't know of one

when u look for frontline it is only 40 bucks for the 3 doses. and there is free shipping

Yes Hooray for Flea Meds! My cat is gaining weight again and has stopped all of her stressed out behavior. I have my warm little satellite back, and I haven't been bitten since I treated her. :bounce

Frontline all the way

try this website

www.1800petmeds.com

Do you know if there's a Canadian version of this? I paid $90 for 6 months of Sentinle yesterday, I thought it was a little steep.

i don't know of one

when u look for frontline it is only 40 bucks for the 3 doses. and there is free shipping

Thanks anyway :)

I actually want the Sentinel because heartworms are a bit rampant around here and Molly gets a TON of mosquito bites during the summer, poor girl.

I have my warm little satellite back

Cute! :heart

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Exactly! Heartworms scare the crud outta me, being in mosquito central and where people unfortunately don't always treat their animals well, I am so paranoid about them. It is super expensive but I figure if I just had frontline I'd have to pay for heartguard too.

Thanks for all the feed back guys ..I tried the 1800pet meds ..but ya they don't ship to Canada ..Chrissy I am going to look into the sentinal..I don't care what it take s..I just need somthing good ..really good and 90 bucks is not bad ..(for a little dog )...my big girl all 120 pounds of her will hurt the pocket (plus 2 frisky kitties)..but at least ALL of us will be itch free..I havn't seen her digging ..Yet ..so far I have kept her seperated from the cats ..tricky

I took Harley to the vet today and I asked about a flea med that he won't have a reaction to, and they said that they have a new pill that you give your dog (we didn't ask about cats since we just had the dogs with us) right after they eat and it's supposed to kill fleas for a month. One pill was $20. They said it was only for fleas, though. I didn't get one, but my granny did for her dog.

It seems pretty cool, especially since a rabies shot and whatever the other shot was and heartworm test was only $20.

I took Harley to the vet today and I asked about a flea med that he won't have a reaction to, and they said that they have a new pill that you give your dog (we didn't ask about cats since we just had the dogs with us) right after they eat and it's supposed to kill fleas for a month. One pill was $20. They said it was only for fleas, though. I didn't get one, but my granny did for her dog.

It seems pretty cool, especially since a rabies shot and whatever the other shot was and heartworm test was only $20.

when we had our dog we got the pill it worked really quick ;)

Fleas are a pest, and even worse for animals with flea allergies. Our dog Buddy has a flea allergy, and in the beginning I didn't treat him for fleas at all. It got worse over time, and he had lost some fur, no fur anymore on his tail, and dry and irritated skin, opened and red from the constant scratching. I started applying the OTC flea treatments at first, but that stuff didn't work.

He is on Advantage now, and his fur has come back so beautifully. Even his tail, which used to have the same long fur than the rest of his coat. He looks beautiful now, and no more scratchy and irritated skin. I think that terrible skin hurt him more than the scratching itself.

• 1 year later...

I'm allergic to fleas. No joke. I have scars all over my legs from them :( I guess it evens out, since my Aunt is allergic to sand gnats ...(and we live in coastal Georgia...) Anyway, we had an infestation pop up one time from out of nowhere, and I used diatomaceous *sp?* earth. It worked within hours. But that was just for the house, because I didn't want to spray poison or do a bomb with my little brothers there. As far as the animals, Frontline! But the infestation in the house, we used the diatomaceous earth. Totally annihilated those little suckerS! :D