Whats Going On?

liz_okerson

i have a betta in a 3 gallon filtered tank. recently i noticed that his belly is abnormally swollen and he's developed red streaks in his tail. his lateral line is red too but thats been that way since i got him. he just recently went thru a particularly bad bout of ich but was recovering nicely. he's got a nice bubble nest going but his tummy is seriously swollen... ive just changed his water, temp is at about 78. no pineconing, no popeye, just red streaks and a swollen belly...

what do i do?

sorry...i'm at work right now but amm is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. 3 gallons. i dont have a temp on the water. i do not currently have any salt added to my tank. he's swimming about normally but his belly looks really swollen...i'll take a pic when i get a chance.

I second Chrissy's opinion of salting the tank..maybe just 0.1%...Also I have read that bettas can benefit a lot from Indian Almond Leaf...which is available at Dr. Foster's website...if you just drop a leaf in the water and let it stay..the water kinda turns into a color of a light tea...which is how their natural habitat is in Asia...it seems to help them get healthy... :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Aquarium guy

your betta may have developed dropsy, try fasting him for two days, dont worry, bettas survive without food for a LONG time. dont feed him for 2 days, and if its still swollen then its dropsy

dropsy is a disease in which excess fluids are srayed inside the stomach, which gives it the appearence of a swollen stomach. this is a fatal disease and can easily kill your little friend.

as for the red streaks, that is septicimea my friend. its a disease in which it involves the heart and veins of a fish. they ecome swollen which gives the red streaks image because there are veins on the fish's tail. my goldfish is developing septicimea right now. he has a really small red line on his tail.

what you need to do is make sure the temp. is aroung 70-80 degrees. add about half a teaspoon of aquarium salt, no more or else they could get swim bladder disease! do regular water changes on the days you do them. meanwhile, try to save up mone and buy this medicine.

its called maracyn-2

http://www.nnnn.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753391

you can get it form nnnn and mmm, its just that mmm doesnt show it on its site. anyways, its around 10 dollars, works super effectively because its healing my bettas finrot, it cures multiple diseases, even septicimea and dropsy! also, get the freshwater version. it may show a picture of a gourami so dont worry, i hope your betta feels better, take care :)