Where Do You Get This?

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

Hey everyone! I notice that I lot of members of this site have this "Vote Koko's" statue thing in their tank. I really want one of these to put in mine too. Here is a pic of one. Cen someone tell how I can get one?

vote.jpg

I took this from someones signature, lol! Sorry about that! But they are so cute!!!

Guest Megan Steele

lol!! Well I wonder where the people that have them in their tanks got theirs then...or if they just made them...hmmmm. Koko you should put them on the market like FishCrazy said!! hahaha!

But and Lynda is the supreme queen of all things DIY, you could find a ceramic peice at your LFS, paint it with Koko's, then resin it, and let it cure and there you go.

DIY Queen here! Yup! You COULD make one yourself for sure! Just get one of those decorations that has the "NO FISHING" sign, for instance, and then paint over that saying with a matching paint color you've mixed up, let it dry, and then paint on letters that say, "VOTE FOR KOKOS." Use acrylic paints and then you have to seal the decoration with two-part resin/epoxy. Let the paint dry really well; about a week, before sealing in resin/epoxy. It's best to seal the entire decoration, not just the sign part, in the resin/epoxy as defined edges can possibly peel or lift. Also let the resined/epoxyed decoration sit for at least one week to cure really well before adding it to the tank.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Well, when you consider that most aquarium decorations are made with resin or epoxy, it makes sense that we can do our own with the same stuff. :exactly And you may not know anything about resin/epoxy, but, as with anything, the more you do, the more you'll learn. :thumbs:

If you buy the two-part resin/epoxy that requires equal amounts of each, it's almost impossible to make a mistake. The most important thing to remember is to let the item dry and cure well. Patience is a big part of making your own decorations. :read You can't rush a project at the risk of the safety and health of your fish, no matter how excited you may be to get it in the water. :exactly

The paint takes time to dry and cure well. :read The resin takes time to just harden at all; usually overnight. And then you have to let it cure well too when you've finished applying all the coats. :read And, the resin is drippy, so, you have to pay attention to keeping the drips under control, but if you do get drips, you can cut them off with a sharp knife or exacto blade and/or file them with a metal rasp. Just don't cut/file all the way through the resin/epoxy coating to the decoration itself. And, it takes at least two coats, and often more, of the resin/epoxy for a good seal. And then, of course, making sure you cover and protect things so you don't get the very permanent resin/epoxy on anything and proper cleaners, such as acetone, turpentine or paint thinner, to immediately clean your brush(es) after each use. :hi5 So, it takes time and patience for a custom project (I prefer "custom" to "homemade" as it IS, after all, "custom" and it sounds more professional than "homemade") but, when you're done, you know you have something no one else has :#1 and you can take pride in knowing that you did it yourself. :goodluck:goodjob:clapping::I-Thank-You:

Edited by Lynda Von G

Wow, Lynda! Koko should employ you as the supreme creator of all things koko's and then she could pay you with goldfish and goldfish related paraphernalia. It sounds like a good job to me.....and it's not a sweat shop if you enjoy it....... :exactly