Ludwig, New Problem

Guest kevharris

Guest kevharris

Okay, now I am starting to wonder if Ludwig will be recovering from his ammonia burns. Today I noticed he is having a hard time keeping from floating to the top of the water. He ate well, he is swimming but seems to be labored, it's like he has a bubble of air inside him which is forcing him upward all the time - if he stops swimming, he floats upward really quick.. His ammonia burns are slowly going away, but this new problem is starting to cast doubt as to whether or not he is going to survive.

Any thoughts or ideas what this new problem is?

Kevin

Guest 5ivedrops

Sometimes goldfish that eat only flake food get air into their bellies and this makes them floaty. If you are feeding Ludwig flakes, you should alternate his feeding with sinking pellet food too. Also, a good way to solve digestive problems is to give him peas. Use frozen peas and soak them to defrost. Then squeeze the soft part out of the skin and he will love it.

Guest kevharris

You don't think this is some kind of internal infection or problem do you? I'll try giving him some pea guts tonight.

Sometimes goldfish that eat only flake food get air into their bellies and this makes them floaty. If you are feeding Ludwig flakes, you should alternate his feeding with sinking pellet food too. Also, a good way to solve digestive problems is to give him peas. Use frozen peas and soak them to defrost. Then squeeze the soft part out of the skin and he will love it.

I highly doubt it is an infection. I would suggest giving him sinking pellets and veggies.

I'm not sure if you feed him floaty-type foods, but I wouldn't. The problem with floating anything is that not only does it have air inside of it, it also makes Ludwig go to the top of the tank and eat it off the surface. In the process he gulps a lot of air. This air can get stuck in his digestive tract and make him floaty. If you use flakes, I would stop as soon as it is feasible.

I agree with the others who say to feed peas. You can also dissolve som epsom salt (works like an laxative) use about 1 table spoon per gallon, mixed it well before puting in the tank. Finally, you can let the fish not eat for a couple of days (do not worry fish can go a long time without food)--keep us posted

Guest kevharris

You guys are the best!!!!

Talk about making my day. I am going out to grab some frozen peas. Yeah, I have always fed him Tetra Goldfish Crisps, which float on the surface. Now the funny thing is, I used to actually put one crisp on the surface and then kinda tap it with my finger to make it fall. He would then scoop it up on the way down. But recently I seem to have gotten lazy. Okay, well, Ludwig will be eating peas tonight and I'll give his system a rest for a day or two.

Thank you!

I agree with the others who say to feed peas. You can also dissolve som epsom salt (works like an laxative) use about 1 table spoon per gallon, mixed it well before puting in the tank. Finally, you can let the fish not eat for a couple of days (do not worry fish can go a long time without food)--keep us posted

I would not try epsom yet...epsom salts should be used for extreme constipation....just feed the boiled deshelled peas...or try a day without food like suggested...but that abt it...Ludwig shud do fine with that...dont use epsom now..it might even hurt ur cycle...since the cycle is just starting to kick in...hold up on it.. :)

Also, dosage for epsom even during dropsy is as little as 1/4th teaspoon per 10 gallons...I have just treated my fish for it and this small concentration...so please cross check on 1 tablespoon per gallon calculation...I highly doubt epsom should be used in that high concentration... :) ..cud harm the fish... :(

Edited by SunshineGurl

Guest kevharris

Well good news, he's not floating up anymore. He ate some peas and a short time later I heard this loud bubbling sound...I turned and saw this look of supreme relief on his face. I'll let you use your imaginations. LOL!!!

He really liked the peas! I have begun getting all the pieces together for the new tank...should be ready on Saturday (I have an exam on Friday, so I gotta study).

Kevin