Weird Bump

Guest FrauSchlagen

Guest FrauSchlagen

Please help! My fantail goldfish has a weird dot on his tail. It was smaller yesterday and seemed to get long sometimes, then go back to just being a little bump. Its white, and around the base on his tail its a bit purple. Its hard to describe, but I will be posting some pictures later if I can get some good shots of it. I got him in June, and he's been perfectly healthy since then, adding another buddy for him in August that seemed to transition in well. They are in a 30 gallon tank which I just cleaned the other day. I feel it may have something to do with that. I did a 75% water change and added Stress Coat when I put the new water in. I feed him sinking pellets and occasionally flakes, but they don't go to the top very much. He is still acting normal, playing with the other fish, going through the bubbles, etc. but I do not want this to do any harm to him. I appreciate any response anyone can give me, I don't know much about fish, this is my first goldfish since I was a child.

I can't help you out as I am very new to keeping goldfish. I can however suggest that you copy and paste the box at the top of the page and answer as many questions as you can. When you say it looks like it gets long, could it possibly be pus erupting into the water? If that is the case, you need to do a 100% water change asap. Somebody more knowlegeable will be along to help you shortly.

I had a goldfish with a spot like that which turned out to be an anchor worm. It looked just like it. It had this tiny string attached to it that was an anchor worm. Can you look close and see if your fish has anything like that?

It does look very much like anchor worm as Monkeygirl says. You say the white surface bumps look longer now? Anchor worm burrow into the slimecoat and for a few days you cannot see the string like egg sacs attached- only the red entry point and white bump of the burrowing worm. They will stay attached like that for about 6 days so any day now you should see the tell tale forked end string protruding...if you run your finger over the bump, anchorworm feel hard and scratchy to touch unlike ulcers or sores which are soft.

I wonder how it was introduced to your tank though. August (new fish) seems quite a long time for larval forms to be lieing low. Have you added any new plants to your tank recently?

If its anchor worm you will need to get some dimilin and treat the whole tank to eliminate all the larval forms in the gravel and around the tank sides.

We still need to know your water stats plse.

Guest FrauSchlagen

I do not have any test kits for the water, I'm assuming I can get one of these at the pet store? I will get one as soon as possible.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallons, been running since June

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Filter is one from Wal Mart and I believe it is for a 30 - 40 gallon tank.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? not as much as I had wanted to, but now I will do a partial weekly. I've read to do 1/2 weekly or can I do less? Last time I changed it (Saturday) I changed about 75% of the water.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldfish, one golf ball size, one ping pong ball size

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use stress coat when I change the water

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed them twice a day with Aqueon Color Enhancing Goldfish Granules and occasionally I use Wardley Goldfish Flake Food

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Gloth (ping pong sized fish) was added in August

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Just the stress coat

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the weird bump

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fish act happy, mostly staying at the middle or bottom, not often up to the top for air, they always eat when they're fed

Now, the bump lost the white part about an hour ago and just left the purple part, seems to be getting darker and spreading slowly. The white part came back in an hour much like puss, looks cottony, and isn't as protruding as before, but it may get long again. I appreciate everyone's response, I'm new to goldfish or fish in general and I'm not sure what to do but I don't want it to get worse and hurt him. I will definitely get a water tester, if anyone can suggest anything about testing the water that would be appreciated as well.

I would take the fish out and dab the area with a cotton swab with some hydrogen peroxide and apply a little neosporin.

As far as the test kit, I would get one with drops that covers everything - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph. I think drops work better than strips.