Goldfish Lonley?

maddy1997

People have different opinions on this. I think it's fine to keep them by themselves, but I have seen them get depressed when their tank mates die.

I also seen this depression they seem to perk up when new goldies are added

I think goldies are most happy in pairs and are more active with a play mate. The tank looks dull when there is only one who sits there doing nothing. I reckon 2 or more are good.

I think a single goldfish would be fine. I think a single goldfish in a tank that would not really support 2 is better then having two and being over stocked.

Since fish are very biologically different from us, and as humans we like project our own feelings onto others, person or animal, it might be safe to say they don't feel lonely, but perhaps "understimulated" so that they display symptoms of human/mammalian/avian depression. But thier brain is more developed for the basics of survival(medula, spinal chord), such was oxygen intake, fear, hunger, and breeding, and not so much on the areas responisble for feelings of happiness or sadness. For example, you wouldn't take your fish to a psychiatrist just because you think he has some Freudian complex? You also have to take into consideration that fish are usually social creatures that would benefit from a more natural environment where they would see other fish, but this is not to encourage overstocking or inappropriate tank mates.

If a tank is large enough to hold more goldfish (using the rule here) a goldfish would be more active and appear happier to us.... And let's just face it, everyone here usually has a wishlist and wants an excuse for more :)