Goldfish 15 Gallon Tank

Maybe so but a single fish would be better then two in that tank period! Get a mirror and put it on one side. Change the tank around a lot. When you get a bigger tank you can get some company. Lonely is much better for him then unhealthy or dead!

I am sorry but there is no way your going to convince us that 2 fish in a 15 is a good idea. I have been keeping fish for 20 years and goldfish for the past 6 or 7 you just can't get away with it for 1 to 2 years.

I would ask for a bigger tank for Christmas. Or start saving to get one on your own. It is our responsibility as a pet owner to look out for THEM and not do what WE want to do but do what is best for our PETS.

I would love to have about 10 goldfish in my 75 gallon but I can't cause that would be just way to over stocked and wrong.

Maybe so but a single fish would be better then two in that tank period! Get a mirror and put it on one side. Change the tank around a lot. When you get a bigger tank you can get some company. Lonely is much better for him then unhealthy or dead!

I am sorry but there is no way your going to convince us that 2 fish in a 15 is a good idea. I have been keeping fish for 20 years and goldfish for the past 6 or 7 you just can't get away with it for 1 to 2 years.

I would ask for a bigger tank for Christmas. Or start saving to get one on your own. It is our responsibility as a pet owner to look out for THEM and not do what WE want to do but do what is best for our PETS.

I would love to have about 10 goldfish in my 75 gallon but I can't cause that would be just way to over stocked and wrong.

I wouldn't do that to a gf but can you tell me how big of a tank the person in the post does

Huh? I was talking about me I have 3 goldfish in my 75 gallon or well when my third one gets out of QT and that is all I plan to have.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73194 this persons tank doesn't look any bigger than 15 gallon

That indeed is a 15 gl tank. And goldfish do not neccessarily get lonely - provide the fish with hiding spots, rocks and silk plants to make the tank more interesting, and rearrange it every now and then. Some people float golf balls on top so they have something to "play" with.

I would go with a single fish any day instead of a life time of missery and possible illness and death. It is a lot less work for you as well.

but goldfish are schooling fish it is like putting one neon tetra byitself http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73194 this person looks like he has a small tank

Goldfish are not really schooling fish. They are perfectly comfortable alone as well as in groups. If anything, in small tanks, they're better off alone.

As for your repeated comment about "this person looks like he has a small tank"... that's because his fish are BIG fatties. :D

BeancurdTurtle's tank is 29 gallons. he's got 3 goldfish in there which is the BARE minimum for 3 fancies.

He is not planning on getting anymore fish, and is quite stocked to the max... but he also does complete water changes of about 75-80% at LEAST every week if not every 3-5 days.

I happen to know so because he is my boyfriend. He spends a LOT of time caring for his fish, and the only reason he got the tank is because his outdoor pond was being raided by raccoons just about every other night.

We did not say it's impossible to keep fish in your 15 gal tank. We said it would be lots of work and to keep your fish healthy, you'd need to do a lot of water maintaining.

And just FYI, Daniel is seriously contemplating upgrading as soon as he moves. :) there may be a pond in the future!

Again, everyone here is not trying to "lecture" you or make you do anything against your will. Nobody is trying to put you down or anything of the sort.

All the advice given is in the best interest of you and your goldfish. Members here have been fish keeping for many years and have learned from trial and error in addition to the help of others.

The koko members that have benefited the most are the ones who trust when they are given advice that it is in the best interest for keeping the fish alive and healthy in the long term.

That indeed is a 15 gl tank. And goldfish do not neccessarily get lonely - provide the fish with hiding spots, rocks and silk plants to make the tank more interesting, and rearrange it every now and then. Some people float golf balls on top so they have something to "play" with.

I would go with a single fish any day instead of a life time of missery and possible illness and death. It is a lot less work for you as well.

but goldfish are schooling fish it is like putting one neon tetra byitself http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73194 this person looks like he has a small tank

Goldfish are not really schooling fish. They are perfectly comfortable alone as well as in groups. If anything, in small tanks, they're better off alone.

As for your repeated comment about "this person looks like he has a small tank"... that's because his fish are BIG fatties. :D

BeancurdTurtle's tank is 29 gallons. he's got 3 goldfish in there which is the BARE minimum for 3 fancies.

He is not planning on getting anymore fish, and is quite stocked to the max... but he also does complete water changes of about 75-80% at LEAST every week if not every 3-5 days.

I happen to know so because he is my boyfriend. He spends a LOT of time caring for his fish, and the only reason he got the tank is because his outdoor pond was being raided by raccoons just about every other night.

We did not say it's impossible to keep fish in your 15 gal tank. We said it would be lots of work and to keep your fish healthy, you'd need to do a lot of water maintaining.

And just FYI, Daniel is seriously contemplating upgrading as soon as he moves. :) there may be a pond in the future!

Again, everyone here is not trying to "lecture" you or make you do anything against your will. Nobody is trying to put you down or anything of the sort.

All the advice given is in the best interest of you and your goldfish. Members here have been fish keeping for many years and have learned from trial and error in addition to the help of others.

The koko members that have benefited the most are the ones who trust when they are given advice that it is in the best interest for keeping the fish alive and healthy in the long term.

thanks you! but will my fish live for a couple years will good care?

:) what will you be doing to provide them good care?

feeding them twice daily fasting once a week, Keeping light on for 8 hrs. cleaning tank every week addicng becateria supplemnt changing filter cartridge every month and doing weekly checks of testing their water

feeding them twice daily fasting once a week, Keeping light on for 8 hrs. cleaning tank every week addicng becateria supplemnt changing filter cartridge every month and doing weekly checks of testing their water

Feeding twice daily -> check

Light on for 8 hours -> check

Cleaning tank every week -> check

Adding bacteria -> not needed

Changing filter cartridge -> BIG NO NO

Weekly water testing -> check

15 gal tank for 2 fish -> no in the long run

Will the fish live for 2 years in the 15 gal -> Don't think so. If you take good care of them, in 2 years they will both be at least 5-6 inches long and the 15 gal is definitely not enough for them to live in

What do you want us to say to you, mate? Say it's ok for 2 goldfish to live for 2 years in a 15 gal?

Edited by d_golem

Feeding twice daily -> check

Light on for 8 hours -> check

Cleaning tank every week -> check

Adding bacteria -> not needed

Changing filter cartridge -> BIG NO NO

Weekly water testing -> check

15 gal tank for 2 fish -> no in the long run

Will the fish live for 2 years in the 15 gal -> Don't think so. If you take good care of them, in 2 years they will both be at least 5-6 inches long and the 15 gal is definitely not enough for them to live in

What do you want us to say to you, mate? Say it's ok for 2 goldfish to live for 2 years in a 15 gal?

The type of filter it is you have to change the filter carbon every month why is no bacteria not needed? http://www.mmm.com/Assets/product_images...5905179355B.jpg this is 5 gallon and also when you get an aquarium you do not fill it to thr rim so that takes of some space

Ahhh... Sometimes we ask questions repeatedly because we know the answer already and hope someone will tell us we're wrong! :) I think you suspected when you posted that your 15 g. tank was too small for two goldfish. And you were right! Smart girl! In reality, you can probably keep one of the fish relatively healthy in a 15 g. tank if you do once or twice weekly water changes of 50%, take proper care of your filter and go easy at feeding time. And a single goldfish does not get lonely. Sooner than later, if they don't both die, there will only be a single survivor, anyway....

If I were you, I'd pick my very favorite one and return the other to the pet store. Since you've had your suspicions confirmed that your fish are overcrowded, if you got down to just one, you'd immediately stop worrying about doing what's best. And you wouldn't be at KoKo's in the first place if you didn't want the best for your little, finned buddies. :)

Good Luck!

Edited by CometKeeper

Hi Sweetie! Aren't you the one who can't get a bigger tank because your parents won't let you? You were here before asking the same question and you had a lot of people yelling at you before because you kept insisting that you were going to do this no matter what anyone told you and then it finally came out that you had no control over it. Again, you need to explain yourself so that people don't think you're ignoring the good advice they're giving you and you need to let them know that you don't have a choice in this matter beause your parents aren't letting you get a bigger tank. As we told you before, you don't need to "protect" your parents by taking on all the responsibility yourself. Just explain the facts and we'll be much more cooperative about how to help you through your problems.

What everyone is telling you is true and, no matter how many times you ask us to "reconsider," it won't change the facts. But, we do understand that you're doing the best you can with what you are being allowed to work with.

Allowing two goldfish to try to get to 5"-6" before you take them out of your 15 gallon is extremely risky and, chances are, they won't reach that size and they will die first. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth. You yourself said that they have grown 1" in only 1-2 months, so you can see how fast they're going to grow and outgrow the tank they're in. At that rate, they're only going to be good in this tank for 2 or 3 more months. When we say goldfish need a minimum of 10 gallons of water per fish, and you clearly know this, it isn't just about controlling the water parameters. It's also about allowing good, healthy growth. Even if you manage to control the water parameters with very large weekly or twice weekly water changes and do everything exactly right, your fish will experience massive stunting by being made to live in such a small tank. Their bodies will stop growing, so it will look like they are okay, but their internal organs will continue to grow and they will become cramped and deformed and cause the fish much pain and invite all sorts of diseases.

Christmas is coming up. Is there no possibility of asking for a 20-30 gallon tank and a good filter as a Christmas present? We really do understand the difficult position your parents have put you in, but, if you want your goldfish to live for a long time, you either need to get a larger tank or give away one of your fish. I'm so sorry, but that's the sad truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Two are BIG fatties now. They were little fatties at one time.

It takes 70% to 80% water changes about every 5 days to keep the nitrates down.

Here's a pic of the tank when two of the fish were the same size as yours are now - on December 20th 2007.

20071220-174052_800.jpg

Here it is six months later - on June 17th 2008. The fish are now about 25% larger than you see here.

20080617-232310_800.jpg

As you can see, with a proper environment, appropriate tank size, and good food - they can GROW.

Here's a quick - but not great quality - pic I just took.

20081101-002832_800.jpg

Tank capacity is 29 gallons. Canister filter capacity is just over 2 gallons.

That's just over 30 gallons of water - which is barely the minimum for three fancy goldfish.

WOW Daniel, have they ever grown!!! I don't think I've ever seen their 'before' picture.

And as for the issue with the small tank, look at the first entry in my blog. When I started keeping goldies I didn't know a whole lot and tried to keep too many in a small tank. The results were death and disease.

hehe ya my first set up was a white fantail in a 3 gallon globe tank it lived about a month. Then I set up my 55 gallon with 9 goldfish they lived a little longer but when they started getting big they all come down with fungus and cause they were stunted and did not have enough filteration, it killed them all within a day.

It was after that that I found Koko's and learned about correct care. I still lose fish from time to time but not like I use too.