Sign in to follow this  
x-Lucy-Fish-x

Calico Telescope

I need some imput from those of you who show/breed for show :)

I really want to start showing fish, so at the festival this weekend I picked up this guy, he cost me ?25/$50. Now I know he's not amazing and I can't really find much, if any, blue on him which is worrying (I think standard is 25% blue at least).. but that wouldn't get him disqualified would it? He also has quite a few metallic scales which he'd loose points for. But other than that, he has twin anal fins, his caudal fin is split properly, his eyes are even, he has good body shape, he carries himself really well and the colour he has got is very intense.

The man I bought him from told me he is eligible for showing.

Is there anything I can do to improve this fish in the next year or so? He's about 3" from mouth to base of tail.

Fish076.jpg

Fish044.jpg

Fish037.jpg

Fish030.jpg

Fish014.jpg

Fish005.jpg

Oh, he's called Freddie btw.

Oooh and is he a broadtail or butterfly?! That's the best top-view pic I can get at the moment.

Thanks for any helppp :D

Very nice, love his color! I know next to nothing about showing, though I would like to get into it (are there goldfish shows in Canada?). He looks lovely, and he is indeed a butterfly tail. He looks very correctly put together.

Thanks, I was thinking he looked more butterfly.

Only I think proper butterfly the tail should be lifted so from the side you can see the anal fins.. I may be wrong though.

I'm sure there must be shows in Canada, just look into your local aquarist society and you'll find things :)

He looks very promising for a show, Lucy. Give him much protein (bloodworms etc) to bulk him up. Size counts in shows.

As for the colour, what you describe as 25% blue is for normal calico. Yours is not. I don't know how they judge colouring in the US.

Thankyouuu :)

Maybe he could count as a tri colour, 'cause technically that's all he is if there's no blue..

I'm in UK btw, so going by these standards: http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/globe/globe.htm

I guess looking at that he'd HAVE to be judged as calico, as that is the only other option apart from black.. and he's not black lol.

I dunno.. I'm joining the Goldfish Society of Great Britain soon so maybe if I go to one of their meetings, I'll ask someone there about the colouring thing.

Nah, he's not a tri-colour. It's a bit different eh the shows in the UK than in the Asian countries. There are so many calico variations now that the standard for colour is a bit redundant IMO.

Yeah. I think also the showing of goldfish in this country is still very old fashioned, I've yet to meet anyone under 60 and female at shows! lol I don't think the standards are very up to date with the breeding that's going on in the world at the moment.

I think your fish is beautiful and is a butterfly. With calicos, there colors do get more intense with age. But your fish looks more like what they call over here as a red, black, and white. Anyway the fish is really beautiful and well worth the price.

From what I heard, the judging in the Uk is a lot stricter than in the US. A lot of "hobbyist bred" are easily allowed here in the US, while they would simply be disqualified in the UK. The standards are a lot higher, and most breeders aim much higher in quality. Here in the US, so many breeders do quantity, not quality - otherwise we would see much better fish in any given pet store. :(

Edit: Sorry ignore that. Haha. This is Lucy, just round Loz's house, forgot I was logged in as her. I'll reply later as myself.. lol.

Edited by Lozbug

Wow, he is really pretty! I don't know much about showing but I also would like to get into it in the near future. I will definately keep my eye on this thread!

Ok, what I originally meant to say.. lol

I can't actually remember.. yeah. I would have thought standards were higher in the US, just comparing most of the show fish I've seen here to US fish I've seen pictures of.

But.. I'll chuck him in a show.. see how he does I guess.

But.. I'll chuck him in a show.. see how he does I guess.

lol Lucy, poor fish!! J/k

I have just read through my British Standards book for Globe Eye, which I presume is what your tele would be counted as.

It says

1. Depth of body-Greater than 2/3 of body length

2. Eyes-Projecting from surface of head

3. Dorsal fin-single, all other fins paired, caudal fin divided

4. Caudal Fin-trailing edge of caudal fin a having a fork 1/4 to 3/8

5. Minimum length of caudal fin 3/4 body length.

6. Extremities of other fins having a pointed appearance.

7. Minimum body length 21/4? (55mm).

these eyes are not the same as on the Broadtail Moor, they should be

truncated cones not spherical.

Colour Metallic group ? to be black only, without a trace of brown or silver, and the

pigmentation extending throughout the finnnage giving a

velvet appearance.

Calico group ? blue background with patches of violet, red, orange,

yellow and brown, spotted with black.

Each area is awarded up to 20 points, split into different sections.

Body

Fins

Condition and Deportment

Colour

Special Characteristics

Hope this helps Lucy. Did you register with GSGB?

Thanks Claire :D

hmm, yeah that say's he must have blue.. he seems to be most of the other things on the list though. Just he's not very pointy.. and I have no idea what they mean about the eye shape..

I haven't sent of the thingy with the cheque yet.. I need to do that, cheers for the reminder!

I think with colour, you might just be deducted points. If he has the other areas covered it will be ok. As you see, you could just enter a show and see what happend. Or where you join GSGB you could ask if there is someone who can look at a pic and see what they think, as they show all the time.

Yeah, I'll probably do that.. see if there's someone I can email.