My First Goldfish

hoojoe

I bought my first tank and fish Sunday night. I found a 10 gal tank starter kit. So far the fish is doing well I think. She's always swimming around non stop and hiding in the fake plants. I think she has not been eating the food I have for her. She just sucks it in and spits it out. Here are some pictures of her and the tank. Bella and Tank.

I agree, very nice :)

If you're worried about the health of your fish, we can help you out. What you need to do is tell us as much as you can about the tank and fish. What kind of filter, what kind of food, the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings of the water. If you don't ahve a test kit you can probably get your water tested at a local pet shop.

New tanks go through a cycle where 'good' bacteria are established, but until that happens you need to do big water changes frequently. Here's a really useful link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Very pretty, I love the torii! Keep looking around Koko's and you will soon find yourself overwhelmed by the knowledge.

Welcome!

RG

I agree, very nice :)

If you're worried about the health of your fish, we can help you out. What you need to do is tell us as much as you can about the tank and fish. What kind of filter, what kind of food, the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings of the water. If you don't ahve a test kit you can probably get your water tested at a local pet shop.

New tanks go through a cycle where 'good' bacteria are established, but until that happens you need to do big water changes frequently. Here's a really useful link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Yup! I agree! Since you set up your tank and put the goldfish in right away, the most important thing to worry about now is keeping the ammonia under control while the tank cycles. So, the most important thing you'll need now is drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and ph. Since you should test daily, investing in these tests to have at home is a really good idea. Your little calico fantail is still small, so you may be able to go two or three days before you need to do a water change, but daily testing is still really important as this will tell you when you need to do your water changes to keep your new beauty healthy and safe! Congratulations on your new baby! They are a joy!

:welcome

P.S! I have one of those torii too! Only the paint on mine all peeled off and I had to paint and resin it to fix it. What a pain but I love mine even more now! Hopefully yours won't peel!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Everybody has covered all the basics already, so I'll just say welcome! :welcome

Oh, and a very important thing to realize is that the water is the most important part of fishkeeping: take care of the water, and it will take care of the fish.

So, I picked up some test strips last night and tested the water in my tank. The nitrites or nitrates and water hardness are all fine. But my pH is too high and the alkalinity is high. Going to change the water after work. But I have a feeling it won't help much. Any suggestions?

How high is your pH exactly? Do you have a number? Goldfish do well at anything over 7 to 8 or a bit more. My tanks run at a steady 8.2, and I know others on the list go even a bit higher. The most important thing is for the pH to remain stable.

Test strips can be finicky to use. A lot of us here find drop test kits more reliable. When you say "hardness" and "alkalinity" does it tell you what units it measures these in? I am most familiar with General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH). KH is the most important number because it will tell you whether your pH is likely to drop over time. A KH of 100ppm or more is best.

The strips don't really give exact numbers... I just eye balled the colors on the strips with the chart. The pH was about 8.0 on the chart. I think it was general hardness. I guess I'm just being overly cautious b/c when I bought the fish the guy at the store told me the fish tank always fails. I'm trying to prove him wrong I guess.

Just fyi, the strips are notoriously unreliable. The best kits are drop test kits - like an API Master Kit. They're more pricey, but they last waaay longer than the strips and give waaay more accurate readings.

Also, pH of 8.0 isn't bad, assuming you have a decent KH so your pH doesn't drop.

I'll have to look for those the next time I'm in town. The nnnnnn here only has the test strips. The nearest pet store is about 40 miles. I think my water is fine now that I think about it. I have been feeding her floating flakes and think that is the problem. She just floats in a corner and will swim down the float back up.

I am so sorry for your loss! :cry1

RIP Bella the Calico Fantail

But don't give up. Maybe read around the list a bit more and you'll be raring for a new goldy soon.

Sorry to hear about Bella. :tou If you want to try again with a new fish, maybe you'd like to give us a little info about your test readings, i.e., exact numbers, even if they are guestimates based on color, and your water change regimen and if you took any quarantine measures, so we can help figure out what might have happened. It is 95% likely that Bella came with some sort of sickness from the store, so it's not your fault. Did you get Bella at a chain store or an LFS? Did you give her a good once over before buying to make sure she looked really healthy? Just some questions to see if we can help figure out how to prevent this from happening again. We've all been through it, so, again, don't feel this was all your fault.

All my water test readings were fine. And I hadn't changed the water b/c she was only in it for a few days. I think she was already sick. She was the only goldfish they had at pet co left that day and she was just sitting there. Beginners mistake. But I've changed the water and cleaned the gravel and plants. Gonna let it cycle and try again.

Edited by hoojoe

I know it's hard but at least you are getting back on the horse. Don't be too bummed out, often chain stores have sub quality fish. Bella might have had a disease before you even bought her.

:heart Be strong!

• 1 month later...

ummm..gr88 to hear to have got more babies... :)

but do you mean you have 2 fantails in a 10 gallon tank???..I am sorry to be the bearer of some bad news...but 10 gallon is really not enough for 2 fantails...each of them needs 10 gallons of water...so maybe you could return one of them...or start planning on a 25 gallons tank in a couple of months...>_<..sorry... :( ..but thats how goldfish are....and they need so much space because they grow fast and produce a lot of waste...the water turns toxic for them within no time...for now keep changing 70% water everyday...I am sure your cycle has not been done...cycling really is a process of 5-8 weeks....and with 2 fish...it could be a little longer and a bit difficult on you...cos you will have to keep checking the water parameters...and change water everyday for a few weeks...and this is absolutely necessary...so that they can live...

I am sorry haven't read the entire thread...just got a gist...Pardon me if I ask again...what kind of filter do you have on the tank??...you could just mention the exact brand and its size...

To be honest I bought two just in case one died. However they both are doing great. Probably going to have to get a bigger tank. Which doesn't bother me b/c I want more fish.