Goldfish Growing

maddy1997

No. Goldfish doesn't grow big in a small tank because normally small tank-->bad water quality-->stunted & unhappy goldfish. So, people perceive that small tank=small goldfish, which is not true.

No. Goldfish doesn't grow big in a small tank because normally small tank-->bad water quality-->stunted & unhappy goldfish. So, people perceive that small tank=small goldfish, which is not true.

well, a couple months ago I had my goldfish in a 3 gallon "goldfish tank" but it was way to small so I upgraded to a 15 gallon tank

Goldfish will not grow properly in a tank that is too small or too crowded, and will not live as long. Most goldfish will live for over 10 years (I think the record is over 30 years) if they receive proper care, and can grow to be quite large. Many people simply don't take proper care of their fish.

Yes and no. Goldfish have a hormone which slows or stops external growth when it senses that the environment is too small, which lulls us into a false sense of security thinking that the fish is doing fine in the small tank, but, in reality, this hormone does not stop internal organ growth. So, you end up with fish who have too large of organs for their small bodies and these organs become cramped and deformed which lead to pain, disease and early death. Along with controlling ammonia, this is why goldfish need such large environments.