My Second Generation Self-bred Oranda

HNLim

This female is the first generation of my self-breed oranda, which was placed second in the recently concluded 2nd Goldfish Festival 2008, "Professional Class" held at the The Serangoon CC, Singapore.

24zc1fn.jpg

This male, which was purchased some "moons" ago and won 3rd placing at the MFGC 2008 and 4th placing at the "Amature Class" at the 2nd Goldfish Festival.

2drqc0.jpg

They have so far produced 3 batches of spawn with the first spawn in mid September, the second spawn on the 1st October and the third batch yesterday (13thOctober 2008).

The first batch suffered an "outbreak" and I am left with about 50 pieces after culling. With the second batch of about 5,000 fries, I managed to select about 200 pieces by picking out what I think I want and I believe that in the process, have also discarded some potential fries.

This latest batch, the spawn is estimated at around 6,000 to 8,000 fries and I believe is even more difficult to select.

What do you think the second generation will look like?

First off, WOW! Amazing pictures, Mr Lim! and :Congrats: on winning!

Hopefully your fry will have the long body like the female and the fins of the male! The tails look just gorgeous on both male and female so either way they will have beautiful tails!

Good luck, Mr Lim! Even though you won't need it! :D

Beautiful fish. I especially love the finnage. Do you think that black will eventually fade, leaving red and white fish? Even so they will have nice markings.

Good luck with breeding them. I always enjoy seeing your pics.

That female is a gorgeous fish! Hopefully, the offspring get her proportions. I'm not sure how the coloring will work out, but I would hope to have a few with a strong black pattern over orange/red, like the female: I think that is the most impressive coloring pattern besides a good calico. What did the parents of the first generation look like?

I think the next generation is going to look stunning. Those fish are beautiful. Congrats on your winnings. :D

Thank you for your nice words!

Wow they're both gorgeous, and I love the ranchu-like heads and plump compact bodies. Whatever the 2nd generation will look like, I want one! :)

Thank you and you are welcome to take some (that is provided you are in Singapore). :krazy:

Beautiful fish. I especially love the finnage. Do you think that black will eventually fade, leaving red and white fish? Even so they will have nice markings.

Good luck with breeding them. I always enjoy seeing your pics.

Thank you! Most black will fade but this female was a full red with a little white below its gill cover. This was how she looks like on April 23 2008 in this thread : http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...64188&st=80 Post#93, third picture The black was almost all gone by June 2008 but came back again in August 2008.

That female is a gorgeous fish! Hopefully, the offspring get her proportions. I'm not sure how the coloring will work out, but I would hope to have a few with a strong black pattern over orange/red, like the female: I think that is the most impressive coloring pattern besides a good calico. What did the parents of the first generation look like?

This is the father

o9h6j4.jpg

and the mother looks something like this fella (one of its daughters)

k1s1eb.jpg

Beautiful!! I can't see the eyes on the male but your female has the prettiest eyes and "eyebrows" :)

Thank you! Only women take notice of such small details like pretty eyes and eyebrows.

Those fish are beautiful, Mr. Lim! And one very nice start in the 2. generation. I especially love the male from the first generation - such nice body confirmation and finnage, not to mention that full headgrowth and the black speckles all over its headgrowth. I see the male paired with the female 2. generation has a similar headgrowth.

Now, 8000 is a handful to deal with!! :thud Your eyes must get tired going through all of them during culling... :rolleyes:

Those fish are awesome i love em, especially the 1st pic looks like a firey red colour. They only get better :D

Thank you for the nice comments!

What do you feed your fish to get them so large so quick? They are AWESOME!!!!!

Daphnia for about 10 days, tubifex worms for about one month and then "Hikari" pellets.

Those fish are beautiful, Mr. Lim! And one very nice start in the 2. generation. I especially love the male from the first generation - such nice body confirmation and finnage, not to mention that full headgrowth and the black speckles all over its headgrowth. I see the male paired with the female 2. generation has a similar headgrowth.

Now, 8000 is a handful to deal with!! :thud Your eyes must get tired going through all of them during culling... :rolleyes:

The 2ft tank is filled with fries. I normally select out those that looks nice and throw away those that did not catch my eyes. I call this "positive culling" where you pick out the nice ones as opposed to removing the bad ones.