Hmm, Beginning Of Cycle

So I set up a tank on Day 1 and on Day 2 I added some media from my bigger tank (some filter floss, couple cups of gravel, and about a gallon of water). The floss didn't look particularly gunky with BBs, it had only been in the bigger tank for a couple weeks.

Day 4 (Sat) - I added the 2 new fish. The water they came from had .5 ammonia, and I only added maybe a couple cups when transferring. I added Prazi to treat for potential flukes.

Day 5 - there was trace ammonia and 0 nitrates.

Day 6 - trace ammonia (not quite 0.25), 0 nitrates. Didn't do a water change since I wanted to keep the Prazi in.

Day 7 - 0.25 ammonia, trace nitrates (not quite 5). Added Prime and again, no water change to keep Prazi working.

Day 8 (Wed) - 80% water change.

Day 9 - 0 ammonia, 0 (maybe trace) nitrates

Day 10 - 0 (maybe trace) ammonia, almost 5 nitrates

Day 11 - didn't test

Day 12 - 0 ammonia, 5 nitrates

Day 13 - 0 ammonia, 5 nitrates

I've been expecting to have to do a water change the past two days, but I'm not showing ammonia. Is the cycle kicking in early since I transferred the media? Is it normal to skip the nitrites phase when media is transferred?

I'm going to keep testing just to be sure...

KH is about 89 in the tank, and pH is holding steady at 8.0 (dropped to 7.6 after big w/c but added Buff-it-Up).

My ONLY concern at this point is my ryukin's tail is showing a bit of white on the edges, like it's irritated. My oranda looks fine though. They are very active and good eaters! Should I salt to 0.1% or higher just in case my ryukin is carrying something nasty from the petstore that the Prazi didn't zap?

I would totally check Nitrites Leslie...There is a possibility Nitrites would show up..but maybe the cycle has kicked in,w hich is awesome.. :D ...and even if Nitrites don't show up, with Prazi what Sue and Trinket advice is...50% water change everyday with vacuuming to get the eggs and cysts out...and then add 1 dose of Prazi back OR just 1/2 dose of Prazi since you did a 50% water change...so water changes are always good during Prazi treatment...and yes you can salt if the water parameters look good..but after salting be even more wary of the parameters and testing cos salt might disturb ur cycle.. :) ...good luck..good going.. :)

If the media was running in an established tank for a couple weeks, it certainly has colonies of BBs in it, even if there's no visible signs of gunk accumulating. When you transferred it to the new tank, the bacteria were present but not in sufficient numbers to process the load, and it took a couple days to catch up. It was as though you had a "bump" in your cycle.

Edited by A Penguin

So, Leslie, how's the cycle? Everything fine? What about your ryukin's tail? How's that doing? Did you add salt?