Help! Loosing All Of My Fish!

Guest Fish Girl

Guest Fish Girl

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Very low (under 6), we had a problem with the house tap water

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Very low, we are coming up now

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops

[*]Water temperature? 68 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 Gallon bowfront bare bottom running 3 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Eheim Professional

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% 1X a month

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Started with 4 about the size of my fist, today there is only 1 left

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? None other than stress coat and conditioner when water is changed

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes 1X a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? It appeared that there were flakes (not ick) as if there was a coating on the fish that was flaking off both on the body and the fins of the fish

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None until they were gone

I have not been here for a long time and I apologize for walking in and needing help...My tank has been running for years, with no problems. The 4 fish I had a few weeks ago were a new population to the tank but added as babies last year all at the same time as the tank was empty. All but one have died, 1 week apart over the last 3 weeks. They are fine the night before, eat well, etc. and then the next morning they are upside down. I have one left, my red and white Ryunkin who I would love to save if possible. I lost my favorite, a chocolate oranda this morning. As I mentioned the tank is bare bottom with 2 castles in it. The castles have been there since day 1.

Any words of wisdom you can share would be great! Thank you so much!

First of all...

I have not been here for a long time and I apologize for walking in and needing help
...no need to apologize!!! :)

I think your pH is the offender. I haven't experienced a pH crash but I've heard it described (by Imo, who hopefully will be here to help soon) and the slime coat flakes off like that. How long has your pH been that low, is it a recent thing?

I think you need to bring it up soon, goldfish do better at higher pH's and yours is just too low :(

What are you doing to try and raise it?

Guest Fish Girl

I'm going to test the tap water now and maybe we can do a big water change. Is there a product I can use to up it if the house isn't good? What and how do you recommend? I will post back with tap water details momentarily...

Well you don't want to change it really fast, that will stress your fish even more. Do you happen to know what the kH in the water is? You may be able to just use regular baking soda to slowly raise the pH for now.

Check this thread out, it may be a lot of help

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=65745

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Guest Fish Girl

I just tested the house water and it is reading the lowest possible on the test scale, so there is no way to tell exactly how low it is. I do not have a KH test kit (I can get one if needed). I do have Alkaline Buffer from Seachem which says it is a pH raiser. I can try this since a water change won't do it.

The directions are 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons daily until desired level. Raises alkalinity by 2 meq/L. Should I try this? Is there something better? It appears I am going to have to manage the pH individually.

Ok, it's good that you have a buffer. It would be good if you could get a kH test kit, because that can influence how stable your pH is. Also, if your pH is that low you can buy special test kits for low pH.

I use a commercial buffer as well, you need to be careful with them so that you don't shoot the pH up. What you can do is this. Fill a bucket of water from your tap and test the pH. Then add 1/2 the recommended dose of buffer and test it again. If there's no change, try the full dose. That way if you do have a sudden pH spike because of the buffer it won't harm your fish. I've never dealt with pH that low but my recommendation would be try to raise it by about .2 at a time, try and do that today, then maybe in a day do it again. I'm a bit nervous giving advice on that though, because I've never had to deal with pH as low as yours. Since it's a bit of an emergency you may need to raise it faster than that, hopefully someone with more experience comes along soon!

Guest Fish Girl

Ok, I have to go out soon, so I will pick up a KH test and maybe a low pH if the petstore has it. I can try your suggestion this afternoon. I like running tests, better safe than sorry. Even though you say you have no experience, you are way more versed than I. I appreciate your time so far in helping me to save my last buddy. I wish I had come back before I lost so many. :( It occurs to me now, that they have gone in size order - smallest to largest. Hopefully I have enough time to save my ryunkin.

I will post back once i have the test kits and run the bucket test this afternoon...

Thanks!

Chrissy has done an excellent job helping you with your pH issues...I apologise I haven't read everything in detail...but I know she is good with it...

What I want to point to is..your WATER CHANGE routine...50% once a month???? :krazy: ...You need to do 50-80% once every week and a 100% once every month...without which the bad bacteria keeps building up...and eventually of course your fish will die of diseases..Water quality is extremely important for goldfish...this is one huge flaw you definitely need to pay attention to...

Also I am not sure about the filtration on the tank...needs to 10 times higher than the capacity of your tank..Goldfish produce a lot of waste and they need this kind of filtration...so in your case since its a 72 gallon tank you need 72x10=720gph (minimum) at least...would be nice to have extra...

Please frequent your water changes..goldies won't survive this way... :( ...fancies are even more delicate...so you need to watch this...

Also dont depend on flakes only...bring about a variety in their diet..you can check the Goldfish food threads on the forum...but that comes later..first please sort out the quality of the water...

Edited by SunshineGurl

I am so sorry about your fish. It does sound like your PH is the offender. When Imo had this problem she mentioned noticing an almost sickly sweet odor to her tank. Buff-It-Up from Goldfish Connection is what most people use here and that is by far the safest bet. But the sooner you use something the better, so unless you can afford to overnight it you may want to start with what you already have.

As JC said, more frequent water changes are a must. Even though you had a good amount of gallons of water per goldfish they still need the dirty water removed and clean water added. And vaccumming gets that gunk off your bottom.

And your remaining goldfish will really love a varied diet over the flakes. Flakes are kind of like McDonald's and no substitute for fruits and veggies, brine shrimp, gel food, a good sinking pellet.

I am so sorry about your troubles and glad you came back to Koko's . Everyone here will help you do your best to save your last goldie.

• Admin

CHRISSY has done a great job showing you what you need to do :)

The only thing I can say is that, we need to get the KH up. If the KH is low the Ph will keep going down even after you get it up....If you can I would see if you can get Buff it Up from goldfishconnection. My reason for suggesting this is the fact it will raise your KH and PH. The problem with some of theses PH upers is that they dont work on the KH and with out a stable amount of minerals in the water the PH will fall...

:(

Guest Fish Girl

Thanks everybody!

I will absolutely increase my water changes, we have just gotten bad about it. The filter is way more than we need. I am not sure exactly, but I remember arguing with my DH about why he wanted such a big/strong filter. :rolleyes:

The buffer I have does raise KH too. The problem at the moment is I cannot find a KH test. We do not have a lfs around and have to rely on the chain stores in the area. I stopped today but they didn't have KH only GH which I already have. I am going to start adding the buffer to the tank to get something going so I don't lose the last one. What is the desired pH for a goldie tank?

Guest Fish Girl

Great! Thanks for all the help so far. You guys are the best! :exactly

The tank is on its way up and has already risen a bit. Since I'm not sure how low it was (at least 5.2 if not lower) I'd say we are now in the high 5's if not at 6.0. I only put half the daily dosage in so far and I'll put the rest in a little later tonight. I don't want it to spike too fast. I will continue to split the daily dose over the day until the tank reaches the ideal.

The remaining fish is already more active than before I added the buffer. I'm amazed at the difference! :)

Once I have the pH up, how do I keep it there? Obviously the problem happened from water changes using a very low tap water. Do I add this every water change? How much? What about filter cleanings, do I add more for that too? Unless we get the tap water fixed we won't be able to stop this issue and it will happen over and over again. I want to replace my fish since a 72 gallon bowfront looks pretty odd with only one medium sized fish, but not until we get this fixed, that's for sure!

The remaining fish is already more active than before I added the buffer. I'm amazed at the difference! :)

That is great news :)

Once I have the pH up, how do I keep it there? Obviously the problem happened from water changes using a very low tap water. Do I add this every water change? How much? What about filter cleanings, do I add more for that too? Unless we get the tap water fixed we won't be able to stop this issue and it will happen over and over again. I want to replace my fish since a 72 gallon bowfront looks pretty odd with only one medium sized fish, but not until we get this fixed, that's for sure!

This is an issue many of us (myself and koko included) are dealing with. Yes, you'll need to buffer the water always. If your buffer seems to be working then that's good, if you're in the US you can also order a buffer from goldfishconnection.com (buff it up I think it's called) that has gotten rave reviews here. I can't get it here in Canada and I use another brand, but I make it work for me. Another thing that helps is putting crushed coral in your tank or filter. This raises the kH continually (kH depletes over time naturally). You can get this from almost any pet store that sells marine fish. I have a media bag with about 2 cups of it in my filter, which does help to stabalize the pH.

Check out the water quality forum here, there are TONS of threads on buffers :)

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Guest Fish Girl

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you but especially Chrissy :flowers for helping me so much through my emergency!

My tank is at about 7.6 with the help of the buffer and things are going great! My last little buddy is racing around the tank and having a blast like he used to. I didn't even realize their activity was down until I started losing them! He's lonely now, but just until we figure out what we need to do to keep the water stable, then I'll get him some more friends...

I would never have figured it was pH without you!

Thanks! I'm so glad I came back!

See you around the boards!

Jen