Are These Goldfish Teeth, Or What?

dfernandez77

I often notice these whitish things on the bottom of my tank, and I can't figure where they come from or what they are. :unsure:

They're not scales, there's nothing they are dropping from in the tank. The only thing I can think is - they are teeth. :blink:

20081012-124503_800.jpg

20081012-124507_800.jpg

Does anyone now?

There's nothing in the tank that they can be chipping off or falling from as you can see:

20080916-132821_800.jpg

Looks like they are teeth :D

However, I can see some black marks on them. Every teeth I saw in my tank are pure white, so I dunno about that black smudges.

Broccoli stains. Haha!

Definitely look like teeth to me. Maybe the black is due to them eating too much sugar? LOL

I like trying to match the size of the teeth up with their respective fish owner.

Despite being *really* gnarled out at the idea that goldfish have teeth (was I the only one who didn't know this?!) I went photo-hunting.

So, here we go: Teeth while they're still inside the goldfish, and shed (koi) teeth.

Gross gross gross. Am creeped out by the wonders of the natural world.

Despite being *really* gnarled out at the idea that goldfish have teeth (was I the only one who didn't know this?!) I went photo-hunting.

So, here we go: Teeth while they're still inside the goldfish, and shed (koi) teeth.

kewl that is alot of teeth from koi

I want to find some...

Well, I knew that goldfish had teeth, but I guess I never really thought about them losing them, but I suppose they have too.... teeth wear out, etc. interesting.

Wow! That's so cool! I knew they were there but had no idea what they looked like. I read somewhere that goldfish only had one tooth....obviously that was wrong!

Further research: Almost all bony fish are teleosts (which goldfish also are) and all teleosts have a full tooth process that is constantly changing. They have three sorts of teeth: jaw teeth, palatal teeth, and pharyngeal teeth. Teeth will grow, fall out and/or be reabsorbed as the fish grows and matures. Some teleosts will lose their entire lower jaw teeth all at once, some lose teeth one by one, some reabsorb their teeth. Some fish lose all their teeth permanently the older they get. Pharyngeal teeth in goldfish do not have an opposing upper set of teeth. Instead, they grind these teeth on a pharyngeal chewing pad on the upper base of the skull. This can cause teeth to be worn down and/or fall out.

Here's two good pictures of my Kabuki's teeth. Of course, they're still in her mouth....

KabukiTeeth-1.jpg

TongueTeeth.jpg

:blink: OMG!! I always thought those itty bitty things were small bits coming from the bio balls???? I'd better look again. Let's get those macro lenses and get pics of teeth!!! :rofl

Goldfish teeth! That is really awesome. It makes sense I always noticed brim and bass have teeth so why not goldies. But seriously this post made my day, thanks for info guys.