Renovation And Strange Creatures

oliver_black

I'm nearly done with the renovation of my pool/pond and, in fact have moved about 8 of the smaller fish into the main pool from the temporary home (the spa). I moved those because they were the easiest to net when the were feeding on some floating wheat germ food. - {Interesting (for me) observation - in the spa, my big gf always come to the food first, and when they mostly had their fill, then the smaller guys would take their turn. Maybe they did this as well in the pool/pond, but with its much larger surface area, the food was more dispersed so the time delay in going after the food wasn't so noticeable.}

Anyway, if the little guys survive the transfer (I did use pond prime on all 20,000 gallons and a parameter strip test showed normal readings), I will then go after the big boys and rest of the gf still in the spa. Of course I will have to pump out lots of spa water to catch those guys... so much algae has grown in the spa since it was cleaned and refilled with fresh water 2 weeks ago, it is near impenetrable visually. Which brings up a question, should I dump some algae killer/preventer in the freshly-filled main pond? I hesitate to do so because I suspect the presence of algae has and would serve as a food source over the winter and beneath the ice when it forms. However, I wouldn't want the profusion of algae growth as took place in the spa. Also, the algae in the spa seems like a different sort... much thicker and stringier. BTW, what anti-algae stuff for a pond would you recommend?

I am now disposing of about 4 sq ft of water lettuce and 4 sq ft of water hyacinth which was in the pond and then moved to the spa since I can't over-winter them succesfully in my area. Boy that stuff multiplies fast.

I noticed a couple of visitors in the spa as I was removing the water lettuce... they looked like salamanders, but maybe they were maturing tadpoles. They were about 4 inches long, including a long tail section and very skinny. They had 4 legs and tiny fingers on each leg. I think there may be a mature frog (or something) in the spa (between the algae, the water lettuce and the hyacinth, its difficult to see much), because out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a creature emerge from the water for a moment (to catch a breath) and dive back in. Whether salamander, newt or frog, I have no idea where it/they came from.

I'm hoping the autumn leaf fall holds off for another week or so until all the renovation work is done and I can put the leaf net over the pond.

Also, my opinion of my newly purchased Pondovac3 is still not yet firmed up... it's not an immediate 10, but it's not a zerp either. Need to attempt a few more things with it before I can decide for sure.

Oliver

Sounds good! And those do sound much like newts or salamanders, since I think frogs mostly mature during the spring. I own a tankful of newts and enjoy them very much! They shouldn't be a problem to your fish.

Our fall started suddenly this week, and in spite of my pond netting, there are a lot of leaves in there (the pool is a mess!)

Can't wait to see pictures of the huge new pond. :D

i so miss my pond! i just love hearing about yours and i wish you the best, best with it. nothing is more relaxing than a pond.

when i cleaned mine, i would find the strangest stuff. once a snake, yikes! i had mussels, japanese snails, koi, goldfish, leopard frogs, (would take flies from our fingrs finally!) a turtle once passing thru, and tons of plants. you almost need a mower, the stuff simply explodes. anarcharis blooms white, water lilies spread,lol, (with no fertilizer ever) the stuff you have is illegal here (unfortunately) i always wanted someone to trade plants with as all i could do is make compost with 3 ft or taller piles of plants. (makes great compost).

i had lots of algae but what drove me crazy was the hair algae,,,ick ick. slimy stuff that grows like 10 ft a day. alls i did was pull it out as i didnt use chemicals in the pond except dechlor.

i always had babies.. :) every spring. baby frogs, baby fish, it was so cool. baby snails..lol...apparently birds or the fish ate down those. andi had mice living in the rocks at the edge..

once the temp is down to a certain point, the algae dies back, the hair algae. my fish went into hibernation also, and wouldnt eat till the water was above 60, then barely till about 70 consistently.. i think the safest, imho*, is just good ole by hand. a big comb works well. or a leaf rake on the hair algae. good exercise too! course thats up to you...what you choose.

was like this total ecosystem. i missssssss it..i know..waa waa,,,right? enjoy yours for me! jody

i so miss my pond! i just love hearing about yours and i wish you the best, best with it. nothing is more relaxing than a pond.

when i cleaned mine, i would find the strangest stuff. once a snake, yikes! i had mussels, japanese snails, koi, goldfish, leopard frogs, (would take flies from our fingrs finally!) a turtle once passing thru, and tons of plants. you almost need a mower, the stuff simply explodes. anarcharis blooms white, water lilies spread,lol, (with no fertilizer ever) the stuff you have is illegal here (unfortunately) i always wanted someone to trade plants with as all i could do is make compost with 3 ft or taller piles of plants. (makes great compost).

i had lots of algae but what drove me crazy was the hair algae,,,ick ick. slimy stuff that grows like 10 ft a day. alls i did was pull it out as i didnt use chemicals in the pond except dechlor.

i always had babies.. :) every spring. baby frogs, baby fish, it was so cool. baby snails..lol...apparently birds or the fish ate down those. andi had mice living in the rocks at the edge..

once the temp is down to a certain point, the algae dies back, the hair algae. my fish went into hibernation also, and wouldnt eat till the water was above 60, then barely till about 70 consistently.. i think the safest, imho*, is just good ole by hand. a big comb works well. or a leaf rake on the hair algae. good exercise too! course thats up to you...what you choose.

was like this total ecosystem. i missssssss it..i know..waa waa,,,right? enjoy yours for me! jody

It would have to be a b-i-i-i-g comb, cause we're talking about a surface are of 600 to 800 sq.ft and an average depth of, say 4 1/2 ft.

Let me tell you, I had no idea how many fish were/are in the spa, but so far, I have transfered about 50 or 60 of the little (1 to 3 inches) guys into the pool/pond. The big guys are still in the spa and will be moved on Thursday ( I hope) It is a strange sight to see all those little guys clustered in a group at the deep end. Periodically, they take off on a long (6 ft) line in a column of two's and glide from one end of the pool to another. My little salamander(?) seems content to stay on the bottom in the shallower end.

I'd like to develop a single feeding area near the shallow end. Right now, I've been putting mostly floating food in the deep end where they tend to hang out. I think it will be easier to get the bigger guys used to eating where I want them. I hope so.

OK... all the GF are in the big pool/pond now. There are about 40 to 50 bigger guys who hang out and move together. They make big sweeps around the circumference of the pool/pond, sometimes stopping for a few moments at the deep end, other times at the pool steps in the shallow end. All it takes is for one sudden, oblique move by any one fish, and the entire swarm takes off as one.

The 1 hundred or so little guys have their own swarm, and they rarely interact with the big guys. There are also a small group of "independents," who move about on their own, sometimes coming together for what looks like a little chat. I suspect the aggregate number of fish is an overload, but I'll see if I can give away some more.

What I find interesting is that in the old, very dirty and opaque water that was once there before renovation, the gf used to feed on the floating pellets like sharks.... now, they are much less voracious and tend to ignore the floating food. I know the water temp is now down in my area, but even so, their appetite reduction seems rather exreme. Maybe all that clear water has them antsy. The can see me move around the deck are even though they are so or more feet away and down deep.

Oliver

Its so interesting that in a pond that size you have several "schools" going with the fish. Size schooling too. We can never see that in tanks. I wouldn't use any de-algae products in your set up, they can upset your eco balance and kill off smaller life forms that are so helpful- I'd just pull out what you can if its getting overgrown.

Can't wait for pics too. Did you get a free account set up at photobucket.com yet :D