Qt Decision Time

amynmitchell

Hi all,

I recently bought a calico Ranchu who has been in QT. I'm trying to decide how long to QT him for before he goes in the main tank. Tommorrow night he will have been in QT for 3 weeks with the first two weeks being prazi and PC tabs (not used at the same time) and salt. Having never done this before I am trying to decide when he should go into the main tank. My original thought was to do four weeks, but I've noticed that he seems bored in there. He might not be lonely, but I can't imagine he isn't. And boy are daily water changes getting to me!

So, should I wait another week or go ahead and add him after my water change on the main tank tommorrow? Whenever I do add him, what is the best way to do it? How do I introduce him to the others?

My other thought was if I QT him for one more week should I add my teeny tiny oranda to his tank to keep him company? I know that kind of defeats the whole QT purpose, but if something were to spring up then I would have a smaller tank to treat. Maybe they could form a team since the my ryukin is three times the size of these guys.

I don't know...I'm torn and would love advice and opinions.

Amy-

I always do 4 weeks but that's mostly my OCD kicking in.. : ) I've seen a lot of people add new fish somewhere around 2-3 weeks and often there isn't a problem. I think you're better off adding your fish to the tank knowing it was treated with salt and prazi, than someone who say, kept their fish in a QT for two months, but DIDN'T treat the fish..

Has the fish seemed normal all along? Any signs of ANYTHING wrong with him? If the fish appears healthy, I would think it would be okay to add him to the main tank..If you are seeing any signs of sickness, tail rot, clamping, then I would hold off and finish out the month.... I think it's most important that you know the fish, and how he behaves and if you think he would benefit from the main tank, I don't see why not. I know how you feel with the water changes.. lol

Are the temps and Ph in both tanks the same?? Everytime I have had to switch everything matched so it was super easy for me.. If everything matches you could just move him with your hand, that way you aren't adding excess water into the main tank that was from the QT tank.. If everything is not the same there are various ways you can acclimate the fish to the new water. You can use a bowl, or bag and add a little bit more water at a time....

I would pay close attention in the beginning. Just to get an idea of how they fish respond. Also keep an eye out for any chasing, because sometimes you can get an idea of the sex based on who'se chasing who when they are first introduced... Are they all about the same size?

I agree with Sue...that 3 weeks can be good enough for QT...

you have followed a good procedure...Lion always sounded like a healthy baby..(I read your Goldielogs:) )...so I personally think he should be fine and ready to go into the main tank...

I dont think moving Scarecrow would be a good move...cos that could stress him...adjusting to a new tank and then back again into the main tank..could kind of freak him out..although I understand what you mean by they making a team.. :) ...to face the big boy Tinman... :D ..Awwww..how cute... :) ..instead you could just move Lion.. :)

Like Sue says..if the temperature and pH are more or less the same...then he can be introduced directly..if not acclimate him...I got a bag from my pet store..and used that to acclimate my baby once before...

Post dropsy...when I had to move Sunshine to the main tank...this is what I followed...I did a 100% water change on the QT tub...moved Chikoo in there..they met there...then I did a 100% change on the main tank and finally moved both of them with half the water water from the QT tub...I did all this just to make sure they both have been in fresh water...and both tanks were getting a 80-100% water change due to their ongoing treatments...for the last 3-4 days both were in just pure water with no meds or salts...so pH and temperatures weren't a problem at all... :) ..

Oh and I also did this in the morning...that gave me an entire day to watch them and make sure no one is beating the other.. :) ..just gives you time to monitor them...hope it helps..let us know how it goes.. :) ...

I think JC's methods for acclimating sound great!!!! : ) I can totally steal some bags from the store!! Woooooo hooooooo! : )

Oh and:

I dont think moving Scarecrow would be a good move...cos that could stress him...adjusting to a new tank and then back again into the main tank..could kind of freak him out..although I understand what you mean by they making a team.. :) ...to face the big boy Tinman... :D ..Awwww..how cute... :) ..instead you could just move Lion.. :)

Yeah I totally agree but forget to comment.. I wouldn't move Scarecrow for the same reasons as J said...

Oh and I also did this in the morning...that gave me an entire day to watch them and make sure no one is beating the other.. :) ..just gives you time to monitor them...hope it helps..let us know how it goes.. :) ...

I like this too..Good posting overall on this thread J!!!

Thanks, guys. I haven't seen any signs of sickness with Lion except for some occasional stringy white poop, which could be tapeworms with Prazi, but is most likely stress from newness and a giant feast on bananas. He didn't react to the Prazi, the salt, or the PC tabs. And since some of you read my blogs his first two days of salt were accidentally .06%, double the usual QT dose...darned teaspoons and tablespoons!

So my plan was to do my fifty percent water change on the main tank and do a little landscaping at the same time. Tinman has been taking it upon himself to landscape for me and some of my plants are looking brown, so I'm going to trim and replant in a last ditch effort to save them. I think that rearranging a few things in the tank should help with anyone being territorial.

My plan to get Lion used to the tank water, though everything should be perfectly matched (he has been in only freshwater for the last week) was to add two buckets of water from the main tank into his QT tank, so that half his QT tank would be filled with the main tank water and let him hang in that for an hour or so, then add him to the main tank. Does this seem like a good plan? Oh, and should I feed them something like brine to get them used to each other and preoccupied or just not feed them for today. They all have a piece of kiwi right now until the water change happens.

Sue, little Scarecrow is the baby of the bunch at what I would guess is a whopping one and a half inches, Cowardly Lion is maybe about two inches, and Tinman is about three inches.

Thanks againg, girls!