Help Please

My tank reading is for pH 7.0 for nitrite 0 and for ammonia 0 but my nitrate is 0 too. People said to have a cycled tank you have to have o nitrate o ammonia and some nitrate

that is so ...ammonia is the first Stage of the cycle then a bb will grow to break down the ammonia which turns into Nitrites and then a second bb will grow that turns nitrite into NitrAtes ..so a cycled Tank should have 0,0,and a good nitrAte is between 10 ppm and I would not let it get more than 20ppm ..The only time 0 can be acheived acroos the board is if you have "Green water" ..which is green algae in the water ..the algae feeds on or absorbs the nitrates making it 0 or close to it this is hard to acheive by most of us .. :rolleyes: ..If you are reading 0 acroos the bored you are not cycled ..yuo will need to do daily readings and waterchanges until cycled as the amonia and NitrItes will spike ,until you have grown the bb's to break it down ..then the second stage NitrItes which is the longest and this will need to be changes out to keep safe levels ..If you were cycled ..you have crashed for some reason ..did you take out filter pads, ??,Have you medicateed??, are you using ammonia chips , blockers (when using these things they "Starve" the tank )

Edited by hi-d

My tank reading is for pH 7.0 for nitrite 0 and for ammonia 0 but my nitrate is 0 too. People said to have a cycled tank you have to have o nitrate o ammonia and some nitrate

that is so ...ammonia is the first Stage of the cycle then a bb will grow to break down the ammonia which turns into Nitrites and then a second bb will grow that turns nitrite into NitrAtes ..so a cycled Tank should have 0,0,and a good nitrAte is between 10 ppm and I would not let it get more than 20ppm ..The only time 0 can be acheived acroos the board is if you have "Green water" ..which is green algae in the water ..the algae feeds on or absorbs the nitrates making it 0 or close to it this is hard to acheive by most of us .. :rolleyes: ..If you are reading 0 acroos the bored you are not cycled ..yuo will need to do daily readings and waterchanges until cycled as the amonia and NitrItes will spike ,until you have grown the bb's to break it down ..then the second stage NitrItes which is the longest and this will need to be changes out to keep safe levels ..If you were cycled ..you have crashed for some reason ..did you take out filter pads, ??,Have you medicateed??, are you using ammonia chips , blockers (when using these things they "Starve" the tank )

I did a 50% water change and nitrite was at 0 ammonia was at 0 and nitrate was at 0. Is this bad for the fish?

no .. while things are at 0 your fish are fine ..what is your tank size ?? how many fish ?, and what is your filtration?? ..and what type of test kit are you using , is it expired ??, are the test strips ?? Drops??..was your tank cycled before ??? Please answere the other Questions in my first post :)

I did a 50% water change and nitrite was at 0 ammonia was at 0 and nitrate was at 0. Is this bad for the fish? yes took out the filter pads while I was medicating with ick I am not using ammonia chips

no .. while things are at 0 your fish are fine ..what is your tank size ?? how many fish ?, and what is your filtration?? ..and what type of test kit are you using , is it expired ??, are the test strips ?? Drops??..was your tank cycled before ??? Please answere the other Questions in my first post :)

my tank size is 15 gallons I have two small fantails one 3 inches the other 2 inches The type of test kits I am using is luquid API. My test kits are not expired. My tank was like this always with no ammonia no nitrate and no nitrate although I am using pH increaser and I use benificial bacteria

when you say you use benifical bacteria do you mean "cycle"..it works as good as the bottle it comes in ...I however have heard Biospira works ..but again benificial bacteria cannot live in a bottle for long as there is nothin to feed it just like antibiotics ..they only last so long ..How long has the 15 been running hun ..and what is your temp ..??? I am wondering if you will start to see ammonia in a few days..and what did you use for ich ..The salt metod or meds??

Edited by hi-d

when you say you use benifical bacteria do you mean "cycle"..it works as good as the bottle it comes in ...I however have heard Biospira works ..but again benificial bacteria cannot live in a bottle for long as there is nothin to feed it just like antibiotics ..they only last so long ..How long has the 15 been running hun ..and what is your temp ..??? I am wondering if you will start to see ammonia in a few days..and what did you use for ich ..The salt metod or meds??

Yes I mean cycle. The 15 gallon tank has been running for about 3-4 months mt temp is 73 f. I used sera medication

Yes I mean cycle. The 15 gallon tank has been running for about 3-4 months mt temp is 73 f. I used sera medication

meds will usually kill a cycle..I would test daily and wc according to the tests..lets see if you get ammonia readings in a few days ..keep us posted ..have you read up on the nitrogen cycle??? if not I will post a link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Edited by hi-d

meds will usually kill a cycle..I would test daily and wc according to the tests..lets see if you get ammonia readings in a few days ..keep us posted ..have you read up on the nitrogen cycle??? if not I will post a link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

ok thanks but will my fish be ok with no nitrate?