I've Never Heard Of This Being Done

whitner

I know that two male bettas cannot be in the same space, but does the same apply to female bettas? I don't know of anyone who's kept more than one in the same space, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Agree with all above. I tried to put my 2 girls together--one kept circling around the other and flaring at her. That is very threatening behavior. I don't know what would have happened if left alone. So, I just keep them separate and everybody is happy!

I heard of other people with quite a few girls together--one had like 12 in a 20 gal I think. The tank was heavily planted so they all had a place to hide and stake a territory--guess it worked out ok.

Betta enthusiasts refer to a female betta tank as a "Harem" sometimes, and it's best to get a 10-12 gallon for about 3-4 girls. However, you must supply plenty of hiding places and if possible, try to obtain spawn sisters since they have lived together their entire lives and will be more likely to have less conflict. After you have established your harem safely, it is not recommended to add anymore female for the reason of upseting the hiearchy of the tank. What all the others have told you hear about females being aggressive is true, but all betta breeders I have spoken with and read their articles strongly advice not to add anymore females after getting the initial number, and that lower numbers are better (like each betta gets 3 gallons).

To get some community tank/harem females, you can try looking at the female groups being sold together on aquabid, or if you have a breeder in the area, contact them. I really hope you can get your tank up, betta females can be real eye-candy :D

I had 3 females together that were just fined with each other... occasional standoffs but nothing too bad. I tried putting a 4th one in, but it was way too aggressive to one of the other ones that I had to take her back to the LFS. So yeah, its possible to have a group... like others have said, have plenty of hiding places and if you notice one being too dominant and aggressive, she may just not be meant to be in a group.