Pumpkin Patch

uberleslie

My husband took me to a pumpkin patch today. I've never been to one before. Growing up in Florida, I never really knew or appreciated how awesome Fall is...but it's officially my favorite season. Now that we live in Atlanta, we have a pretty good fall -- he's from New England, where fall is fabulous though! Fall isn't really in full swing here yet, but we're gearing up!

We ended up buying, like, 70 bucks worth of pumpkins and other assorted goodies.

Such a good time...

It's a place called Burt's Farm, very cool...

more-pumpkin-patch.jpg

Lots of pumpkins!

pumpkin-patch.jpg

Lots of HUGE pumpkins!

big-pumpkin-patch.jpg

These were my favorite...

white-pumpkins.jpg

Love the little guys...

baby-pumpkins.jpg

And the funny-lookin' gourds...

gourds.jpg

This was the pumpkin I picked...

leslies-pumpkin.jpg

This was JP's (they were a cool blue-green color)...

jps-blue-pumpkin.jpg

Yay, colorful corn...

corn.jpg

Pretty flowers...

flowers.jpg

Our pumpkin selections! The 'shopping carts' were wheelbarrows!

our-pumpkins.jpg

How fun!!! I just love pumpkin patches, too. The white pumpkins are also my favorite. I have never seen those blue-green ones before. They are really unusual!

You know those huge pumpkins? One year my sister got one and it stayed on our porch till the following summer, when it started to finally rot. LOL!

Oh, I know what you mean about Florida and no fall, I am originally from Athens like 1.5 hours northeast of Atlanta and and I miss fall like crazy. That pumpkin patch looks like so much fun! Ugh, I can't wait to leave Florida, it just doesn't suit me.

Holy crap, what the22!?!? That place is crazy! Actual orange pumpkins! I can honestly say I've never seen one of those pumpkins before! :P Ours are a streaky green/yellow colour (japs) and a blue/grey colour (queensland blue), although I guess butternuts are kinda a creamy colour.

Thanks for sharing those pics! Thats an awesome place! Does it happen every year?

Pumpkin "farms" and "outdoor adventure" farms are becoming more and more common in the States. In the midwest, more and more farmers are taking a few acres and making tourist attractions. Many have rides, games, cider, food, ponies to ride, corn mazes, pumpkin patches, etc. It can make for a great day for kids from the city. I can remember taking our girls to the farms and letting them climb over the giant pumpkins and pick out one to bring home. They used to have goats and lambs to pet and cider to drink and homemade donuts to eat.

A farm nearer to our house does this now -each year getting bigger and bigger. This year they put in a miniature train for the kids to ride through the corn maze. Pretty wild. They bus the kids in from the schools,,,, and each child is given a small pie pumpkin to take home when they leave. They have brought in semi-trucks full of the smaller pumpkins for the school kids.... thousands and thousands!

We helped create a 5 acre corn maze for Farmer George across the street this past spring. It involved spraying herbacide to kill the planted corn in a computer generated pattern... in his case he had selected a huge milk cow with a bottle of milk on one side. (George has a dairy farm) Unfortunately for George, the floods took out too much of the field to make it be a successful maze - so he has already harvested the corn.

Pumpkins in Illinois are in short supply - once again, the floods took out a lot of the fields and the pumpkins rotted on the vines in the fields. They are having to import them from other states - taking the price up ridiculously!!! I did have wonderful success with my pumpkins - I planted only 2 vines and got 8 nice large pumpkins from them. I brought the other 4 home yesterday. They are all on my front porch. I would trade them all for a dozen pie pumpkins, though!

It is crazy the prices that people will pay for a pumpkin, a gourd or even a few stalks of corn - corn cobs removed!!!! I saw a plastic bag of field corn cobs being sold for squirrel food - they wanted $6.95 for 8 cobs of corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow.

post-27-1223904612_thumb.jpg

I keep checking back to this thread. I think I'm going to take JD to a pumpkin patch. LOL! I always hear about the cornfield mazes and those sound like so much fun.

Has anyone ever heard of the Half Moon Bay pumpkin festival? It's a small town near the Bay Area in California and they have these huge pumpkin contests every year. There is always some massive record-breaking pumpkin there. It's so crazy!

http://www.miramarevents.com/pumpkinfest/about_show.html

wow wish there was pumpkin patchs here i have go store for mine. O i wish i could get one of those huge pumpkins and a white one :P

That shot of my grandson was taken at Half Moon Bay in CA last year! :)

Those huge pumpkins are kinda cool to see and think about, but I find them to be misshappen and rather ugly. I like the smooth white, green, blue or orange pumpkins of the classic Jack-O-Lantern style to be my favorite. Pie pumpkins are attractive too, for I begin to salivate just thinking about a delicious pumpkin pie right out of the oven!!!!!

I am going to open up the biggest orange one I have and take all the seeds out and bake them. YUM! They are a great snack and are even better in a salad or in stuffing for a bird! YMMMMMMMMMMM.......

:)

Half Moon Bay is the closest beach to where I grew up! It's a fun little town, and reminds me of how more of the Bay Area used to be, about 30 years ago.

I haven't been to the pumpkin festival in years, but I go back to the beaches and town every year when I visit my parents. There are some great tide pools at the Fitzgerald Marine preserve, on the north end of the bay. It's also where they have the Mavericks big wave surf contest every year. In winter they can get 50 foot plus waves! :yikes