What Size Tank Do I Need?

lclayton

I'd like to brighten up my bedroom with tank of guppies, around 4-5 males (don't want babies!), but I have also been denying myself a few corys for while too...

Presuming corys and guppies are ok together (I assume they are), what's the minimum tank capacity for 5 guppies and at least 3 corys? I'm open to altering the numbers slightly, getting a slightly bigger tank etc.

I could also just get the guppies, it may be simpler, so what size needed for just those?

Thanks

I vote for a 20 gallon too, Cories can be quite the little poopers, and I would suggest getting at very least 3 I think 5 would be better, they like to school together.

when u get the cories remember to get them places to hide

Yep, got lots of little cave-like ornaments left over from other tanks :)

Well it'll either be 5 guppies in a 10 gallon, or I'll double it to a 20G and add 3 or 4 corys too.

Can anyone advise about the ideal temp to keep these two species at? And can guppies cope well with current? I have a filter already and it has a fairly strong output and would rather not buy another gentler one.

Guest Jake Minimuto

Cories can take temperatures from a very wide range. In my book written by H. Axelrod it says they tolerate 59-84, but I'd keep it around 76 if you're going to have guppies.

Guppies are OK with a current, but I would advise to keep extra room in the tank for them to hang out around that's out of the current.

Have fun with your guppies!

Disaster!

So I went to the store with my flatmate on Saturday and purchased a 10 Gallon tank (decided not to go with corys) and various other bits and pieces, took a look at the fish...They had an offer on male guppes, 5 for ?10, so I decided just to go with those. I explained to my friend I wouldn't get the fish yet as "the tank was not ready" - she's not into fish so I didn't explain cycling.

So I got home, set the tank up, looking good, ready to wait for the fish...

My flatmate, thinking she was doing me a favour, drove past the lfs on her way home from work last night and came home with 5 male guppies for me! I appreciated the effort and trying to be interested in my hobby but it took so much effort not to YELL at her! So I've had no choice but to put them in the tank :(

So, as expected, the tank is cloudy this morning.

What percentage water changes should I be doing? I did about 25% this morning. The fish seem ok but these are not the hardy goldfish I am used to!

Do you have a test kit? Without one cycling is tricky. I'd keep up the water changes, do one a day for sure. Luckily gupppies don't produce a whole lot of waste so the ammonia/nitrites might not spike up too fast.

Also, do you have any Prime water conditioner? That can help the fish while cycling is going on.

I do have a test kit. I don't have any prime, I don't think we can get that in the UK, I've certainly never seen any. I do have Filter Start which I've used successfully in the past in helping cycle the tank.

25% water changes daily, or more? I'm sure I did at least 50% on my goldies.

Yes, 50% is good with goldies because they produce so much waste. But that would be fine for the guppies too, you can never change too much water :)

Just keep checking the ammonia and nitrite, if it's shooting up do an extra waterchange that day to try and keep it under control.

Guest Megan Steele

Oh no! I hope all of the guppies are ok!! See, I made a mistake with that too, I got a 20 gallon with small hardy fish in it before I came to Koko's and now I am in the same position as you. Hope all the fish do ok!!

Lost two fish yesterday evening. Wasn't a surprise, I think they were sick when I got them. The other 3 are doing very well, very active and greedy. NOt sure whether to replace the other two or not, I presume guppies are ok in a group of 3? I really want to get some pygmy corys instead!

They are incredibly cute, I had only seen pictures before I saw them in my lfs earlier this week and couldn't believe how tiny they were!

However I'm now wanting more colour in my tank, so I am thinking neons and a couple of cherry shrimp.

Funny how easy it is to change your mind with fish from one day to the next :)