Bettas And Tetras

lclayton

Has anyone ever had any luck keeping a betta (either M or F) with either neon or cardinal tetras? If so, what size tank did you have? Would the tetras have to go in the tank first before adding the betta?

Thanks

(I am asking on behalf of a friend, I don't know much about bettas having never kept one myself)

id imagine they'd get along fine. the tetras are darty and can get away quickly if the betta did get aggressive, but from my experience bettas usually go after fish with long flowing tails such as themselves, like guppies or fancy goldfish.

• 2 months later...

I used to keep a male betta in a tropical tank, he did just fine. The tank had platies, zebras, and neon tetras.The only problem i ever ran into was he wouldn't eat the flake food so i would have to wait for him to swim up to the surface for me to feed him a different type of food.

I would say that if the tetras can handle the warm water the betta requires they should go well together. But do remember that some tetras, like the black widow tetra, are pretty savage fin nippers.