Food Aggression?

Guest inkslingeramok

Guest inkslingeramok

I have a 20 gallon fish tank that had two goldfish in it. One passed away and I waited two months before deciding to get another goldfish. It's been two days, but the Black Moor (Artemis) whom I've had a while, seems to be showing something I would call "food aggression."

I'm used to it in dogs, but this is a first among all my fish! She (Artemis) won't let the new Ranchu at the bottom of the tank at food time. She pushes her and chases her away from the food. I did start using a sinking and floating food combo in the hopes that if one is at the top, the other will get a chance for some food at the bottom.

Even so, Artemis seems to like the Ranchu (nameless until 5 days...so I can judge personality) other than at meal time. Then she swims beneath her and forces her away from the area she was rooting in.

I was wondering if this is a common thing and/or if Artemis might get better. I would hate for the new fish to feel bullied at meal times for the rest of it's life!

Any advice would be welcomed. :)

I had this problem, it got so bad at one point that I even took the bullying fish out and fed them seperately for a few days as I was worried the other fish wasn't getting enough to eat. Eventually it stopped, I presume they were just establishing some sort of pecking order, if such a thing exists in the fish world. If it was happening all the time and not just at feeding times I would be more worried.

This was taking place while my fish were in a smaller tank, so Artemis may think there is not enough room for both of them and not enough food to go round?

Of course, others may have more insightful advice for you and know what is happening :)

I've seen this happen a lot when a new fish is introduced or if the tank is simply too small to accommodate the fish. Keep an eye on their behavior and hopefully it'll pass in a few days.

If your moor's aggression becomes more severe (to the point where he's harming the ranchu), you may want to consider adding a tank separator during feeding time so that the ranchu will not be bullied.

Edited by Nenn

I definitely agree on a tank divider. You can get ones that have the slides placed in the tank with suction cups, then at feed times you just slide in the plastic divider, after they finished feeding remove the divider so its not a permanent fixture.

This would be a great solution if the aggression is only at feed times. Take note of the behavior at other times too. If there is still pushing and shoving especially at the rear end then.....maybe you got a boy and girl :)

Guest inkslingeramok

I didn't even think about them being a boy and a girl. *lol* I have never been able to sex the fish and just pick names I like that match their personalities. But, the bumping continues during meal times as well as occassional other times throughout the day. If it does not improve, I will invest in a divider for at least meal times to ensure the proper amount of food is given to both.

Thanks so much for the advice! I know I can always count on you guys for help. :D