I Had To Do A Doubletake

So I was at the infamous WM last night and I happened to find myself in the fish department. A good thing, too. I glanced at the bettas and I couldn't believe my eyes at first! There in one container were 2 male bettas! Together! I looked to see if they had been fighting and of course they had. There were pieces of tails laying on the bottom of the cup and they both looked battered up. I immediately found an associate and told her that they needed to be separated and she did just that. There was also an empty cup sitting on top of the shelf so I think a customer thought it would be funny to put two in one container. I know that WM's fish aren't taken care of that well, but I don't believe any associate would be that stupid. If I had had the money I would have taken both of them home and healed them. But their wounds didn't look severe enough that they would have died or anything. I don't think there was enough space in that cup for them to have that a big fight, anyway. Thank goodness.

You're probably right about someone thinking it would be funny to put them together--how sickening. I've heard that people put videos of bettas fighting on youtube but I never want to look up stuff like that. Anyway, thank God you were able to get help for the fish--good job.

Guest stitch101

I think that the associate should of been more cautious about the fish cause if they kept fighting for longer they would get majour majour beat up :wa

Edited by stitch101

i saw that at WM here too, but there was no other empty cup, it seemed like they had been like that for awhile, both of them seemed exhausted and had torn fins, poor babies.

• 4 months later...

A similar situation happened the other day. I was there again and was looking at the bettas and noticed an empty cup. My heart dropped and I searched every other cup to see if there were more than one in any of them, but I never did find the other fish. I didn't even see any remnants of it. People are jerks.

I've walked up on that in stores as well. My sister and I separated them ourselves. We found some Stress Coat and filled the containers of the two that were put together. (We came back the next day and both Bettas were there, so we bought them! )

omg I can't believe that happened!! Congrats to you for being proactive and helping those fish! :clapping:

no offense to any males on this forum, but I would venture a guess that it was probably a couple of stupid boys that put the two bettas 2gether. sure females can be mean too, but I remember when I was a freshman and some of the guys on my hall had bought bettas to fight them. :(

I'm not going to get into this, because I know this has been touched on so many times, but I just WISH the stores didn't keep the bettas in little cups lined up on shelves. :no: there's no telling what people can or have done to these fish who are not in the "safety" of a tank.