Will This Setup Work?

lclayton

Hi

I don't have any goldfish at the moment as they've all gone into a pond, and all their fry...I miss them! I have wanted to have a fancy goldfish for a long time though so I am planning for that now.

The tank I am planning on using is 30"x15"x12" - around 88 litres - I think that's around 24US gallons? Correct me if I'm wrong though. So I was planning on making it a nice home for one fantail.

I also have another small tank, just over 10G, that houses a small shoal of 6 white cloud mountain minnows, and 2 hillstream loaches. They've lived in there quite happily for a couple of years now, and one of the loaches I have had for over 4 years, he used to live with my commons and comets before they got too big (how long do these loaches live by the way?!)

My question is, to save space and maintenance, and to create a more varied tank, would it work if I put the wcmms, loaches and one fancy in that tank together? I am presuming that as the minnows and loaches dont live as long as goldfish, by the time the goldfish gets larger, I will have lost the minnows and loaches anyway, but for the time being that it would be ok?

I know fancies/minnows/hillstreams can all live together normally, but do you think that tank is large enough for the time being?

You should be able to put everyone together in that 24 (approx) gallon. If the wcmm are really small, the goldfish may try to eat them, but as they are fast fish, it probably wouldn't succeed. I want to say the loaches can live upwards of 8-10 years but don't know for 100%. Most fish live a lot longer than a lot of people realize!

Thanks. I'm glad they can all go in together! The minnows are about 1.5", they'll probably be the same size as whatever goldfish I get!

I can't believe the loaches might live that long though, I was told 2 years :| good thing I'm so attached to them, cute little things!

white cloud minnows and hill stream loaches do have the same temp requirements as goldfish. However I am always leary of placing any kind of loach with goldfish as that I know that many loaches become aggressive toward goldfish. Plus like you said if your goldfish gets too big he may eat the smaller fishes. I would be concerned about one of those loaches getting caught in the goldfish mouth. Finally, I always thought that hill stream loaches require lots of current in the water which go against how goldfish like it. Just my thoughts

These loaches are fully grown, never bothered my commons and the commons never bothered them. They're also ridiculously fast so I doubt a fantail could catch them! Same with the minnows - they'd easily outswim a fantail, especially a baby one. Of course I'd keep an eye on them anyway, I could always put them back in the 10G.

I hear what you're saying about the fast current. I was sold the loaches from somewhere that called them Chinese Catfish and said they didn't need feeding, so that should tell you how much accurate information they could give me about them. I've managed to come up with compromises - I usually have a mini filter at the bottom of the tank so that I can create an area of agitated water for them. Of course it hasn't been a problem while they're with the minnows. I can create resting areas for the goldie too, I had to when I had fry in that tank.

My main worry was that the tank may be overstocked but if that isn't a problem then hopefully I can get going on it and have goldies again :) (well one anyway!)

Every once in awhile I put some in my tanks. Yeah they ARE fast and the very fastest usually last a few days to a week before....................gulp! :blink: