Floating Apple Snail

seheap

I just bought a small mystery snail this weekend and put him in my tank. He is now floating at the top. I know that Sometimes snails get air stuck in their shells and so they float, but mine is kinda hanging out of his shell......

Do you think he's dead?

It would be weird because I also bought a big female mystery snail and she is alive and kicking.

I feed them pea pods (from when I feed my goldies peas) that are steamed. I've seen both of them on it so I know he was eating.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

RG

Do you think he's dead?

The best way to find out is (kind of gross I know) pick him up and smell him. If he is dead, I guarantee your nose will pick up some odor depending on how long he may have been dead for. Also, try touching him. If he is alive, you should get some sort of retraction into it's shell.

Wierd, I have one doing that TODAY!! Kinda bobbing around like a cork, partially hanging out. I picked it up & touched it and it drew in a little but not all the way. Why do they do this? I also noticed some bubbles (it kind of looked a little thick....like when little kids blow "spit bubbles" :blink: Is this some wierd snail thing??

well, my snail stopped floating.... and now he's doing it again. I wonder if he just likes it...? But is there a way I can help get those air bubbles out of him so he can crawl around again? Or would it be better just to leave him be?

I would say leave him be. When I had snails a couple of years ago, they would periodically float around the tank, but eventually would sink, or bump into something they could grab onto

OK, that sounds like a better plan than trying to get the air out! How would one do that anyway? I imagine it wouldn't be pleasant for the snail.

Well, the floating snail died. I don't know why, but there it is. The big "female" snail is still alive though. I think the little guy just didn't get enough food because my goldy and the female ate it too fast for him. Poor thing.

Oh, that's sad. :( I've had snails before and I just bought two new ones last night. I've always taken my snails out of the tank to eat (prying them off the glass is fun). I put fresh, dechlorinated, slightly warm water in a bowl and I put algae disks (usually just 2), a little lettuce (I never give them iceberg since it's got almost no nutritional value), sometimes a baby carrot, a spinach leaf, goldfish pellets and peas. I usually leave them in the bowl for 15 or 20 minutes. If you won't be able to watch them while they eat, cover the bowl or else they will escape (my first snail, Gary, escaped from her bowl and fell off the coffee table. She was ok, just a little stunned)

RIP little snailie :heart

before I went species only with my snail tank I took them out and let them crawl around in the food bowl for about three hours, that way I know everyone had enough to eat and if they weren't hungry when they went in they had enough time to figure out that they were and partake in the goodness. :)

ok I have another floater....but this time she has something wierd hanging off her.....is this an egg sac?

IMG00527-1.jpg

If so what do I do?

I can't tell from that pic, but could it be a bit of food or something like that? Apple snails lay their eggs on the glass or on the hood above the water line one at a time and form them into a long clutch with their foot.

Does this snail have a dark body? I thought for a second it could be his penis, but I can't remember if they are the same color as the bodies or if they are that tan color. It's been about 5 years since I've kept them. XD

Whatever it is, don't try to pull it off. It could be attached to the snail and you will do more hard than good that way.

Well, she (I think) is a dark bodied snail. I think it is a girl because of all the snails in the tank she was the biggest. The thing is gone now so it must not have been a big deal......

I am starting to learn that if something is wrong with my snail for a day wait a few more to see if it's still weird. Everytime I post about my snail...the problem disappears!

• 1 month later...

I know it has been a while since the last post but Snails are A sexual I found that out when I got them, All the snails i have had have floated and most of the time they were fine. The way to tell if your snail is dead is believe it or not they tuck themselves in all the way. thats how my 5 snails ended :(

Anyway I didn't know if it was to late to help but I just thought I would give you a bit of info :P hope your snail is okay