Stunted For Life?

whitner

So right now Coco is living is a 10 gallon tank, but soon I plan on getting a larger one. I really want a 29 gallon bowfront I saw at the pet store and I've asked my parents for it for Christmas. As well as an AquaClear filter. Coco hasn't grown much, except for his wen, since I got him 5 months ago. He's about 5 1/2-6 inches long. I know he's not very old. I'm not sure how old he is, but he's obviously still maturing if he's losing his "baby color" as some people call it. I've even saw breeding dots on his gills this past summer. My question is, when I do get the bigger tank will he actually start growing more at a steady rate or have I stunted his growth by keeping him in the 10 gallon? Even if he stopped growing now, he's a still good-sized fish. Is it true that fish secrete a horomone that "lets" them know how big they can grow?

Edited by whitner

it sounds like your goldfish is an oranda. They grow at different rates. Sometimes there is a growth spurt in their wen. Then their fins will grow. Then their body grows. It all depends on the genetics of the fish. What are you feeding him/her. Give your fish a variety of foods i.e. pellet frozen and freeze dried foods. Feed small portions two -three times per day should give you good results. Once you get your twenty gallon, only keep one fish in it. Too many fish will cause your fish not to reach its full potential. Also remember to keep up with your weekly water changes. I would be changing at least half of the water in your tank. Clean water will also aide in the growth of your fish

So right now Coco is living is a 10 gallon tank, but soon I plan on getting a larger one. I really want a 29 gallon bowfront I saw at the pet store and I've asked my parents for it for Christmas. As well as an AquaClear filter. Coco hasn't grown much, except for his wen, since I got him 5 months ago. He's about 5 1/2-6 inches long. I know he's not very old. I'm not sure how old he is, but he's obviously still maturing if he's losing his "baby color" as some people call it. I've even saw breeding dots on his gills this past summer. My question is, when I do get the bigger tank will he actually start growing more at a steady rate or have I stunted his growth by keeping him in the 10 gallon? Even if he stopped growing now, he's a still good-sized fish. Is it true that fish secrete a horomone that "lets" them know how big they can grow?

Yes, it's true that goldfish secrete a hormone that tells them to "stop growing," but that's only their bodies. Their internal organs continue to grow which is why, in addition to being able to control the amount of ammonia in the water, goldfish need to have a lot of space. Their organs will become cramped and deformed if they have been kept in too small of a tank.

It's possible that your fish could grow again, but it could take quite a while for its body to learn that it can again. Excellent food, clean water and lots of natural sunshine are the best things to promote good growth and color.

Thanks.

I do weekly water changes of about half if not more because I know that his tank is the bare minimum size for a fancy. I keep his tank CLEAN. And his water is pristine. The other day my dad made a comment that Coco's tank was really clean (I think he's used to seeing aquariums with algae and grime all over things). I told him Coco's tank was supposed to be clean.

I feed him a mixture of Pro-Gold, peas, and veggie discs. I haven't found any fruits that he'll actually eat.

I want to get a 29 gallon, Spiderman. Then hopefully I can get him a little friend. But I don't want any babies, so I'll try to find another male. I'm not ready to be a mother, yet. And I wouldn't have the space for fry, anyway. I haven't decided if I want to get a moor or a ranchu. Moors are easier to find in my area. But there's something about the ranchu that I just love. It's probably the bumpy face. That's why I love orandas. And I don't want my baby being deformed in any way! Now I really need a bigger tank. And soon. Maybe I can convince the parentals to give it to me for an early Christmas present? Hmm... My birthday is coming up, also.

Hi

At 5 and 1/2 inch she a good size at the moment.

I have Oranda fry that are quite small for my liking so dont be worried.

The tank size is OK. From my personal experience its the size (all important) plus the water changes. They do excreat a growth hormone that can accumalate in the water. By the sounds of things you change the water well.

If you do get the 29 gal you could get a friend, as for babies, dont worry bout that, they will eat the eggs anyway and the one they dont eat you can clean up (it does make a mess)

Keep up the good work!

And keep us posted.