Cycle Bump?

Hi all,

I am a bit worried about a cycle bump. My main tank has been running and fully cycled for about six weeks now. I have a thirty gallon with two fish in it. One about three inches and one just over an inch. Another little one is in my QT tank. Every week I do a 50% water change and I only suffered a slight cycle bump when salting. I did a very large water change last Saturday (about 90%), but I did not clean my filters and only lightly rinsed decorations in tank water. I usually test my water on Wednesdays and on Sunday before my water changes. Yesterdays test made me nervous. It is showing 0ppm ammonia, 5-10 ppm nitrates (closer to 5) and trace amounts of nitrites. Essentially the yellow is tinged with orange in my nitrite tests (I tested twice). :unsure: It is probably in between 0 and the next level which I think is 0.3ppm. Is this a cycle bump from the big water change and will it catch up with itself?

The fish seem totally fine. The only other things I can thing of is that there was a slice of kiwi fruit in there for two days (though most of it was essentially eaten) and some of my plants our looking pretty ragged and brown in places. I trim them every week, but it is certainly possible that dead leaves are causing a problem.

So what should I do? Just wait it out and on Sunday do my regular change and dispose of the sad looking plants? The new guy will be on week 3 of QT Sunday, but I don't want to add him to the main tank until I know that all is well and the cycle is back to normal.

Thanks!

Hi Amy....the best way to go about water changes is as per your test results..If you see any of the test parameters is not in place..or higher than what you expect it to be...or higher than the accepted numbers...then its time for a water change...your test results look ok to me for now...check again in say 12 hours and the decide if you want a water change or not...like we know..nitrates should ideally be less than 20..so I think you are fine there..also nitrites like u say are still in trace amounts...so you could wait if you want to make sure they go high or not and then do a water change...say upto 80% should be good enough...My advice check back in 12 hours or tonight..if either of these is high do a water change...

I am myself going thru a bump in the cycle...and god its frustrating...My nitrites and ammonia are 0.25..Nitrates are like yours...but I do a massive water change every 24 hours..I guess this will take time to settle down...at least a week or two in my case...

dont worry...just keep testing and do a water change whenever needed...it would not hurt anything. :)

I wonder why bumps in the cycle like this happen? It is so frustrating and it makes me panic. I'll keep testing, water change when I need to and pull out any sad looking plants. I guess this is why I test mid-week, but I've never seen anything off until now...scary!

I know..isn't it??...I hate it too...my tank has been doing so well for the past few months now...so yeah testing twice a week is a very good practice...In ur case it could be plants...but I am not sure cos I have never had them...you are doing good though by keeping an eye.. :)

In my case..I cleaned out the filter box the other day during a 100% water change...and replaced the old filter pad with a new one...but I also ripped off the old one's blue material (watever it is) and just kept it in the box...and I also have extra small filter pad in there to help the cycle..but it still caused a bump... :wall I was hoping it wouldn't..but Ughhhhh..it did anyway...I think its been over 2 months now..I have been doing water changes every single day...seriously...I am soo tired... :(

Oh, jeez....you had a big bump! Mine seems pretty minor considering the big change was on Saturday and it is still only showing trace amounts of nitrite which is what is leading me to the plants conclusion. I'm not sure why the seem so sad, but they do.

I just hope it will catch up with itself quickly. If not, I'm sure I will have more questions.

BTW, have you ever seen or used Tetra Safe Start...it is refridgerated live bacteria and my tank literally cycled in three days when I used it. I think it would work great for cycle bumps like yours and hopefully not mine, but possibly if it seems bigger than this.

I am sure..urs is a small one...it won't end up being a big one...just remember while doing smaller water changes just vacuum the gravel very gently...and avoid looking how the filter looks.. :P ...cos am sure it kinda always drives me to gently rinse it and stuff even if it is only 2 days since my last water change.. :) ...I think you should do fine...

Ohhh yeah...mine is a big one...I actually see the nitrites going a lilac color..which is a definite 0.25...ughhh...ammonia today was more towards 0 than 0.25..still a bit greenish... :( ..I have been planning on getting some booster for this cycle bump..I think I ll check out my lfs tomo night..I did a 100% water change today...but did not touch the filter watsoever...I think I ll fix this with a booster over the weekend..hope it works...

Craziness at work and all I want to do is go home and test water. And no looking at the filters. They always look gross no matter what, but that is their purpose. Let me know if you find the Safe Start and how it works for you.

Thanks for your help:)

I just tested the water again and the tint of orange indicting trace amounts of nitrite is gone. It must have been a brief cycle bump. Just to be safe I will be letting go of some plants during my water change. I'm not sure what is going on with them, but the look kind of sad. Must be time to invest in some new ones.

Glad it has cleared up now, but I thought I would just add what I've noticed with my tanks.

A big water change shouldn't cause a bump, unless the water you are putting in isn't perfect. That is a problem I have. My tap water can have variable nitrites in it. Two days ago it was 0, today it is 1.0!

Did you test your tap water before you added it to the tank?

Hmmm. That is an interesting point. I always test the tap for PH before adding it and at first I did regularly test the tap for everything and it was always the same. The PH is still always the same, but I test because I am paranoid about a PH crash.

I'll have to test and check that. I am leaning towards an excess of plant waste and there was a missing kiwi fruit skin for about a week in there...I thought that Tinman ate it, but it had just gone missing.

Thanks for the input...it is scary that tap water can change that much!