A Fish That Doesn't Belong.

Guest Chocolate Panda

Guest Chocolate Panda

I have a lone archerfish who I've regrettably been keeping in my 30 gallon tank along with my three other goldfish for the past five months. He doesn't bother anyone, but I know it's not wise for me to keep him under these conditions any longer. Nobody will take him, and I really don't want him because I can't afford to keep him. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section :)

~Joyce

It seems as though you don't have a problem holding onto him until you can find a place for him, so advertising it on Craigslist might be a very good option. You may have a bit of a wait, but Craigslist always seems to be a great place for buying and selling things. Good marketing always sells the product. Start off with a catchy, but straightforward Subject Title, then play up this fish's attributes. It's colors, it's playful habits, whether it's easy to take care of or fun to feed, etc.

You may also wish to speak to your local Vet and your local Humane Society. Often they have boards, (cork boards, online boards or both), to list pets up for adoption. And I would use the same catchy info as Lynda suggested. Good luck! Keep us posted. :)

Archers are actually brackish fish so they require salt. I agree that Craigslist is a great place to advertise for him. Be sure to mention that if you put live crickets in the tank, he'll shoot a stream of water at them to catch them! Really play up how special and unusual archers are. :)