White Spot On Nemo

As I was inspecting my tanks this morning, I noticed a small white thing on Nemo. It was right before his caudal fin. I grabbed twizzers to get it off and he was in a panic :( I felt awful.. during this struggle I never actually got to twizze the thing off of him, but its not there anymore. I'm PANICKING.

I haven't done anything new to the tank, no new fish, no new plants or filters.. I've done some water changes.

I've been looking at pictures of anchor worm and lice, but this didn't look like either. It was kinda hanging off of him like anchor worm though. Soo scared!!

[*]Ammonia Level? .25ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 10 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 70 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 37 gallon, April

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Topfin 60

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Changed about 30% four days ago, change at least once a week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4: two shubunkins about 3 in. and two ryukins about 1 in. Nemo is a ryukin. I'm actually in the process of getting the 55 gal ready for my shubunkins.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarium salt, Stress Coat, Biozyme

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, varies between crisps, flakes and peas.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? 0

[*]Any medications added to the tank? None.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just this white thing on Nemo.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope. He's been his usual self!

Edited by ang41087

It's disappeared, so we can't get a picture. It won't really harm anything to do a parasite treatment to the tank or even just a salt treatment. Even if this is only precautionary however, if you are worried that it could be parasites, you're going to need to do very large daily water changes and, if you have gravel, very thorough gravel vacuumings with each water change. Salt, of course, is always a good, all-around treatment. Dimlin, Anchors Away, Proform A or Potassium Permanganate are all good anchor worm treatments. You can't use an ich med as this is a different type of parasite. Be careful of these products as they can stain your hands or anything else it touchs purple. And above all, don't panic! You'll be fine.

Article on Anchor Worm and Treatment

Thank you so much Lynda. I'm going to have to find some medication as you had mentioned.. and give it a try. The only thing I can think of is parasites although it doesn't look like anything I've seen online. Gotta give it a try though.. my little guys mean the world to me! They've always been fairly healthy.. and I'm excited to get them in their separate tanks and get a new fancy. Patience.. patience! Something I've always been soo bad with! :))

My Coco had the same thing a few months ago right in the courner of his caudal fin and tail. It just hung there as well and I tried to remove it with tweezers but I couldn't get it off. At first I thought it was a louse, but he's the only fish in the ank and I don't have live plants. I hoped it was just a dead scale that he was shedding or something. But to be sure I did a salt bath and it eventually went away. I never found out what it was and nothing like it has come back.

Yeah, it was definitely strange and out of the blue seeing something on one of my fish. I've had them since January, Nemo since February and they've been healthy all this time! I've been actively checking my fish daily to see if anything similar is appearing - negative, thank goodness. I've got to do a large water change today.. and get my 55 gallon water changed too. Busy day! :krazy: