Removing Factory Paint From Plastic/vinyl Toy?

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

I want to repaint a tiny plastic/vinyl toy and I need to remove the old paint. I don't know exactly the material the toy is made of, OR the exact composition of the existing paint. I know this makes suggesting the right items almost impossible but I figured I'd ask in case someone knew.

I need to figure out what will strip the paint off but leave the plastic unharmed... Anyone have any ideas?

And what about paint to RE-paint with? You think acrylics would work?

61_1.jpg

A picture I yanked from Ebay of the thing. It's a Homie. lol.

The only thing I can think of is white spirit but that would probably melt the plastic too. I guess you could try it on the bottom and see what happens.

I agree that white spirit probably will eat away at the plastic too. Maybe you could consider instead to paint it over instead with a sort of primer, after which you have a clean slate to work with.

• Admin

Just talked to TD he said try taking a q-tip and use Fingernail Polish remover on the bottom and see if that will work, also suggested Acetone. If this works then you can gentle work your way around it with the q-tip :)

Guest Halloween

Thanks! I did try with the nail polish remover, it seemed to take the paint off a little bit so maybe I just need to scrub it with an old tooth brush or something!!

• 3 months later...
Guest Halloween

I FINALLY got around to finishing the repaint job. I never was able to remove ALL the paint. Specifically the little statue's pants (naughty naughty!). So I just painted over them.

So here's what it looked like before.

homie.jpg

And after. It's like an inch tall but believe me I was covered in paint. Anyone familiar with Trigun will perhaps get a kick out of this. ;) To everyone else... well.. sorry.

wolfwood1.png