Weird Lumpy Stomach Thing

Well, friends, I've a new question about Bette Davis -- surprise!

He's still in his quarantine tank, still being fed half a pea every morning and three... oh, shoot, whatever that medicated food is... three of those pellets at night. Soaked and broken in half, obviously.

Anyway! He's actually... straightening out. It's a little weird to watch. But in the midst of all this straightening, I've noticed that, on the side he normally curls towards, he's got this big lumpy thing.

It looks almost like he swallowed a rock, which I suppose isn't impossible, since they definitely had rocks in his tank at the pet store, but I don't know how fixable that would be, so I wanted to get other people's input. (Rocks aside, my first guess would be that he's got some sort of horrible parasitic calcified dizygotic twin lurking just under the surface of his back. Which again, is why I'm turning to you. True story.)

Here is a completely useless photo that in no way can be used as a diagnostic tool. I'm sorry. I'm in the process of trying to get better ones; presumably I'll have those up before anyone wakes up in the morning and reads this. ;)

post-15817-1223530540_thumb.jpg

Okay, top views that I hope sort of show what I'm talking about:

IMG_7817.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg

See the, um... lump?

(On the other hand, NOTE that straight straightish spine! Dang, but my baby is a good strong boy!)

And voila! Side views! Mwahaha, let it never be said that I am not a halfway decent fish photographer!

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

This one -- up above -- is probably the best picture of it. See where that big crease to the right of his tail is? That's where the lump starts, and then it comes to a "point," of sorts, where the little round white-ish reflected part is, further right.

IMG_7827.jpg

I feel bad just noticing this on him now, given that it may well be something that was already there when I got him... I just keep telling myself that he was so warpy and desiccated that it was hard to get a good idea of how he was supposed to look. :(

Does it look as if the lump is coming to a head? It is interesting to note that his kinks have started to straighten out since putting him on meds. Which food is he on? Metromed? Medigold? Something else?

Did he look a little shrunken when you got him? Has he put on any weight at all? It's good that he is eating.

Watch the lump closely and let us know if it seems to be getting bigger; if it pops, you must change out all the water as it will be full of bacteria (wear gloves to do it.) In this instance I would be going with mycobacterium as a diagnosis.

But get back to us with any further info and let's see how things shape up.

He's on MediGold, although it was not so much because I'd diagnosed him with anything, and more because he was brand new and shivery and skittery, and the GoldfishConnection website said it would be a good idea to treat him with medicated food right off. It's *really* bulking him up -- I mean, to an almost startling degree -- although I suppose I don't know if that's the medication itself, or just the availability of food. He's put on a ton of weight in just the past week. (Yay him!) His spine thing probably was genetic or from malnutrition, but I think it was emphasized by him being starved.

The flash caught him sort of weird, in the photos; it's not so much like it's coming to a head -- I don't think it's a cyst or anything like that. It's more like there's a ballbearing under his skin, that isn't affecting the outside at all. It's just a round... mass. That's why I wondered more about it being a foreign object than anything bacterial or viral.

Well, as I suggested before, I suspected his crookedness is from malnutrition and, sadly, sometimes those kinks can be permanent, but as your kid is starting to straighten out and plump up, this even more suggests to me that it was all from malnutrition. This bump could also be a result of that. I mean, if the body is all kinked and you have all these internal organs, those organs have to go somewhere, so, they go wherever there's room; wherever that may be. It's possible that, with time (if this is the problem), those organ(s) will move back to their "normal" position(s) and the bump will go away. It could also be some sort of growth. Again, possibly because of the kinks, and if this is the case, it's probably just benign tissue buildup, but then, with all the problems that come with buying freak fish ( :D ), it could be a tumor as well. There's nothing that can be done about a tumor unless you find a fish vet who is willing to do surgery and you're willing to pay for it. Most tumors, while ugly, are not usually harmful.

Because of Chester's cyst, you already know what cysts look like, so, if it does end up turning into one of these, you already have some insight into how to deal with it.

So, I'd say just wait and see what happens. Hopefully it's also just part of his malnutrition and will go away along with his crookedness.

Hi Lynda!

You are smart-sounding as per the usual ;) although I'm a little icked out at the thought of his internal organs being all squished into a ball.....

Anyway, he continues to eat and swim and generally act fantastical, so for now we'll assume it's not bothering him too much. Hooray!